Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hello from Socal- Help appreciated!!

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by DougTB_mtb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi guys, my name is Doug and I just joined offroadtb. Im 17 years old(Yes I know) and last year my parents got me a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ at 82k. being a teenage boy and seeing that my new vehicle had 4x4 I had to take it off-roading. And quickly realized this isn't just a soccer mom car to keep me from street racing :lol: any who I am going into my senior year of highschool, and afterwards plan on going to college at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff AZ. We just got back from a vacation in Flagstaff and I quickly fell in love with it. I also Mountain bike so I am no stranger to nature. AZ has a lot to offer when it comes to offroad/ back country type of stuff. And with that being said I need help.

within the coming years I want to turn my stock TB into a good off-road platform. I want my vehicle to be ready to handle trails up to level 3 and in rare cases 3.5 if need be, according to the trail rate guide on this forum.
My vehicle has a 3.73 axle ratio
stock plastic skid plates
g80 locker
and all the cosmetic bells and whistles that come with the LTZ package
she is bone stock.

the only upgrade I have done is I just purchased a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT tires.(Size 245/65/17)
I love the dirt and trails and I just want my vehicle to be ready with me. Any help is welcome, for example how should I set-up my recovery gear, lifts, tires, fabrications, etc...
Recommendations for what order and what you guys recommend is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for an inexpensive(not cheap) type of build, as I myself will be purchasing all of the upgrades. so yeah, feel free to tell me about your builds and what project I should work on first etc... also links to gear and recovery items are greatly appreciated also. Like I stated early I want my vehicle to be able to handle a level 3 rated trail comfortably and ready for back country tent camping type of stuff.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Doug :camping:
DougTB_mtb

Name: Doug
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DougTB_mtb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Here is a picture of my beautiful TB :drool3:
Attachments
IMG_20170720_120406344_HDR.jpg
DougTB_mtb

by BC backroader » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Great starting point, Doug. I strongly suggest that you spend a few hours reading the build threads, all your questions are addressed there.

Lift first, then tires, and onward from there as needs and money dictate. You're going to a great area to offroad and camp, so enjoy every minute of it.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by mason10198 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Welcome Doug! I started exactly where you are! (Actually, I was 16 when I started) When I got my TB, she was completely bone stock and I knew absolutely nothing about cars. 3 years later, I've almost got her to the build of my dreams with more mods than I can count, and even did a complete rebuild/engine swap along the way! Check out my build thread, everything you see done to the rig I did myself through trials and learning and help from my dad. You're going to love your TB man. Can't wait to see the progress!

Btw, I've fallen extremely lazy with updating my threads. I don't think there is anything recent in my build thread, so I'm going to start working on that right now. Check back there later if you don't see any new posts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DougTB_mtb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks guys! Also does anyone have experience using the hi-jack to change a tire? I'm looking into getting one but it seems it would be hard to find a place to mount it to jack up on the frame due to how the frame is under the body. Thanks!
DougTB_mtb

by Trailblazin Ahead » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:00 am

I'm from socal as well (Bakersfield) join the Facebook forum where the stuff needed for lift and all is pinned. I've became good friends with members and all of them are great guys with tons of knowledge and experience. I started off with a 05 ls 3.42s non g80 and started searching and finding the ways ins and out of the platform. there's lots of product info and knowledge out there.
Attachments
20170711_131612.jpg
SMELLS LIKE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION
Trailblazin Ahead

Name: Tyler
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"