Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hello from Calgary

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by somedude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello there. I have been lurking for some time now, and doing a lot of research. This forum is a great resource. I thought it would be a good idea to post about my Envoy, future plans, and concerns.

Currently Stock:
-2002 GMC Envoy SLT with (2HI, A4WD, 4HI, 4LO)
-4.2L engine
-3.73 gear ratio (GT4)
-Factory locker (G80) - I think this means rear diff locker but I don't have a button to lock it or not.
-150 Amp alternator (KG4)
-Rear air suspension.

Future plans:
-Rear air suspension conversion. I am thinking either this strutmaster kit or just purchase 2 rear springs since in the next line item (BDS suspension) lift comes with the shock.
http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2002-2009-gmc-envoy-rear-air-suspension-conversion-kit-with-shocks-gb1rb-2/
-2" BDS suspension Lift
http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=5&mo=14&ty=1&yr=2002-2009&kid=168H
-1.5" wheel spacers from here
http://theliftmeister.com/public_html/theliftmeister.com/page4/page4.html
-265/70r17 tires (not sure what brand or kind yet but probably some AT)

Concerns:
-That the wheel spacers will negatively affect the life of wheel bearings and other components while towing a small trailer (3500lbs dry). I tow a hand full of times a year.
-That rear springs are worse for towing than the rear air ride system because of the air suspensions ability to automatically adjust to ride height.
-Rear air ride conversion will make the ride squeak (read that from the strutmaster kit website it has happened before)

Reasons for considering this setup:
-Want to be able to camp/fish more off the beaten path with and without trailer.
-More ground clearance during winters up here in Canada.
-Want my truck to look rugged, and more inline of how I feel inside ;)

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
envoystock.jpg
Current stock Envoy.
somedude
Cruiser

Name: Mar
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BC backroader » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi, somedude
It looks like you have a nice starting point for your build. You have one of the better gear ratios, with 3.42 being the worst, and 4.10 the best factory options. If you go with Tahoe/Yukon rear springs, you'll gain an inch or so lift from them, even without a lift block, and since they are progressive rate, you should still be OK for towing. I fitted them to my 05 EXT TB, along with a 1" rear Liftmeister block and 2.5" front lift, and have no problems towing a flatbed trailer and Polaris Crew model atv, which probably weigh similar to your trailer.

By the way, you don't use a button for the G80 locker, it is self activating, by sensing wheel spin. Works great in mine.
Attachments
IMG_1039.JPG
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

welcome
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by somedude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Brad, are you running wheel spacers? It doesn't look like it in that picture you posted. Do you have any thoughts on towing while running wheel spacers and the extra wear that might have on the bearings?
somedude
Cruiser

by BC backroader » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 pm

No wheel spacers yet, though I plan to get them. I don't think they'll have a huge effect on bearing life, but can't say for sure. Not having the spacers limited my choice in tires, which I changed shortly after the above photo, from the stock 245/65/R17 to taller 245/75/R17, which just barely clear the upper ball joint bracket, the limiting factor of tire size on our trucks, unless you get the spacers.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by somedude » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Yeah that ball joint is a real pain for getting bigger tires, but because of it I read it allows for a better turning radius. The first mod I should probably do is the suspension lift, but I really want to start with the 1.5 spacers and bigger tires 265/70r17. I know they will fit but will probably rub on full compression. I wonder how often that would happen for day to day driving.
somedude
Cruiser

by Cable810 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Welcome!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Welome! I wouldn't worry too much about the spacers killing the wheel bearings, sometimes it will sometimes it won't. I have a 04, I've had the 1.5" spacers on for close to 6 years and close to 90K miles on spacers, 177K miles total, still on my factory bearings.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"