Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hello from Southern Maryland

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by prchjrkr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 pm

I've looked around for a couple of days and gleaned a lot of good information here. I've recently acquired a 2003 Trail Blazer and want to tweak the suspension for towing and launching my boat on mossy launch ramps. When I took possession of my LS, it was severely cutting the right front tire. The alignment shop said it would require uppers, lowers, and one tie rod end. At 166k I figured I'd better get under there a check things out for myself. So far I've replaced uppers, lowers, both tie rod ends, stabilizer links, shocks, brake pads, and one CV boot. While I had the shocks out, I added a Traxda 2.5" leveling kit and am leaning toward Monroe coil overs for the rear. As it will be my daily driver, I don't want to go all out rock crawler, but do want some added clearance. I've pretty much settled on BFG 235/85/16 KO2s on stock alloys. I'm hoping by going with this narrower tire, it will eliminate the need for shaving the upper control arm, and give me another inch+ of clearance. I don't plan on a whole lot of situations where I'd need the added flotation of wider tires, and want to maintain decent gas mileage. I'm also a little gun shy about wheel adapters since my '67 bug lost a rear tire on the hair pin road from Skyline Drive into Sperryville, VA. :shock:
Attachments
TBlazer.jpg
prchjrkr

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Beamer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:54 am

Welcome fellow Marylander. I have been running Yokohama Geolander AT2s 265/75-16 and no wheel spacers for over 3 years now with no issues at all, but you can see in my build that I did grind a little off of my ball joints. I am thinking of going with the BFG KO2s in the same size you noted for my next set of tires.
Beamer

Name: Chris Beam
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Welcome don't be afraid of the spacers /adapters. As long you torque them correctly you will be fine. many thousands of miles on them. beside if I can do this and not break them you should be good.

2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Anthony Hernandez » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:45 am

Yeah. Do what Robert (tbyoda) said..... I just place them up there and impact em down until they bite. Don't ever torque em...notice I haven't jumped shit...
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by prchjrkr » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've been a little busy with "life" and just found some time to explore this site a little better. There are some very impressive rides on here, but, I'm starting out on my build with baby steps. Once I get the fever, there's no telling where this may end up.

A skid plate and radiator protection are going to be my next move, after tires/wheels and rear suspension work. I think I've decided on steel 17x7s from Tire Rack and BFG KO2 LT235/80R17 for now. I like the idea of Z71 springs and eventually plan that upgrade, but think I'll settle for Monroe coil overs to keep it level while towing, just yet.

My ultimate goal with this is to have a daily driver that sees an occasional fire road or dry river bed. I'm in awe of some of the rigs in here, but have grown out of that adventurous stage of life. I'm just looking to be able to reach some of the more out of the way fishing holes. The best ones I've found so far, are usually off the beaten path and my knees don't like hiking.
prchjrkr

Name: Brad
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"