Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Newbie from NM

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by nmtb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:43 pm

I recently acquired an '02 trailblazer lt. It's been sitting for several years and generally needs a lot of work. It was my brother-in-laws who passed away in Jan of 2014 during a high speed pursuit (he was the pursuer - I miss that guy). It needed a lot of work when I drove it the 700 miles home and now that it has been sitting (caught up in the estate) it needs even more.

I just purchased a new ecm, transfer case control module, and 4wd switch (in an effort to diagnose the 4wd issue that it's had going on). Next of course is to change out all fluids or maybe first try to get all black widow spiders out of it. It needs new suspension, and I would like to go with something other than stock, but I'm not sure that it's in the budget yet. I threw some A/Ts on it before driving it home two and a half years ago, not knowing that it would become mine. I would have put something more aggressive on had I known, but what's on there will work for a little while (Kelly Edge AT). After I drive it a bit I'm sure I'll discover new issues with it.

A lift would be great, but I haven't researched my options yet. Since the Kelly tires are "new" (they have about 1000 miles on them), I'm going to have a hard time justifying in my head to buy new ones. I'm not sure where I'll go after the lift. Any recommendations on brand would be awesome. I also have some interior features that need to be fixed, but nothing big. The truck is running somewhere around 166k miles. I hope with some care I can get a lot more out of it.

I do have one un-diagnosed issue. Anytime I accelerate I have a ticking noise (I believe it's a ticking noise). I haven't driven it for about 2 years (due to the ecm issue), but if I recall correctly it was a tick. I'm guessing/hoping it's the manifold gasket. Anyone else have this issue?

I hope to have it back together this weekend, depending on when the parts come in. With my luck it will be next week! I can't wait to get it going and have an offroad vehicle (over time) and I'm looking forward to utilizing this forum and site. No picture yet, but it's all stock still.
nmtb

Name: Evan
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:40 am

Welcome to the site!! Sounds like you have a lot of work to do... should be fun!
Best lifts are from http://theliftmeister.com/public_html/t ... ister.com/ in my opinion. If you want to go crazy, look up the RadFlo coilovers on this site.
I also have a ticking - mine is definitely an exhaust manifold gasket (one manifold bolt broke off). Yours is too hard to diagnose without more info though.

Keep us updated with the build!!
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by nmtb » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks! There is a lot to do, but I did get the ecm, transfer case control module, and a few other things taken care of on it. It's at least running now! No more check engine or service 4wd lights. I'm still trying to diagnose for sure the noise issue I have going on. It reminds me of a diesel truck, but only when you give it gas. I'll be changing out all fluids this weekend.

I have my eyes on the oil pan skid plate that bartonmd sells, but that will have to wait until after the suspension is taken care of.

I still need to take a picture of it, but it needs some cleaning up beforehand, since it's been sitting for nearly three years.

I'll update as I work on it.
nmtb

by Trail X » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Sounds like it could be the manifold... they are a pain in the ass, especially if you have a broken bolt or two. I've been trying something new with my third manifold... I only tightened the manifold bolts down to about 10 ft lb, it allows the manifold to move around more, which I beleive is why mine kept cracking, because the head was basically pulling the manifold apart. I also put flag lock bolts in there to prevent them from loosening.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by nmtb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Thanks for the information Trail X. I'll be taking a look at that here in the next few weeks. I'm needing to take care of the newest issue - P0113 Intake Air Temp Sensor. The sensor appears to be working fine. However, I'm unable to get any voltage off of the harness. I have a feeling that that's not quite right. I'll check again tomorrow using a different multi-meter. However, my suspicions are that it is the harness.

As promised in my first post, here are some pictures. Everything is still stock.

20161204_162317.jpg

20161204_165328.jpg
nmtb

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 am

Welcome to the fray
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by UlyssesC » Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 am

nmetb wrote:I recently acquired an '02 trailblazer lt. It's been sitting for several years and generally needs a lot of work. It was my brother-in-laws who passed away in Jan of 2014 during a high speed pursuit (he was the pursuer - I miss that guy). It needed a lot of work when I drove it the 700 miles home and now that it has been sitting (caught up in the estate) it needs even more.

Nice ride NMTB!
UlyssesC

Name: Ulysses Cogdell
Vehicle Year: Other

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"