Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

10 year driver, but just joined TB

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by ColoTB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Guess this is my introduction!

My wife came home with a 2006 TB program car with about 15k miles on it 10 years ago and 210k miles later it's still treating us well. We had just moved to Dallas and I didn't see us ever driving it off road and we haven't until the last year. I honestly never thought of my TB as a off road capable vehicle, just a nice SUV for getting around that had 4x4 if it was ever need for snowy roads and such.

I found the site while doing a simple search for the largest tires that will fit on my stock TB. In Dallas, we rarely even used 4x4, but my wife and I moved from Texas to Colorado last year and just spent our first winter living in the mountains above Boulder (8400 ft). It's been quite the winter with 3 different storms dumping over 2 ft of snow on us all the while riding on great tires for driving around Dallas, but not so good for our new home and we were too broke to get new tires put on after moving up here. Luckily I have experience driving off-road or those tires would have really made it tough.

I've not done anything other than general maintenance in the 10 years we've owned our TB and don't know how much I will end up doing to it (it does have 210k miles). However since I'm wanting something about the same size that I can sleep in while camping on the weekend it's great to see the options out there as I was dead set on getting a older Cherokee to drive. I'm now thinking of sticking it out in the TB until it just dies. Right now it is our only vehicle and we drive 10 miles, 3k feet of altitude change back and forth to work every day. It's 6 miles of decently paved road and 4 miles of dirty, muddy, snowy, pot hole, washer board, rutted out road. I'm still surprised we've only been stuck once but the wife decided she wanted to just randomly drive into the 4 foot pile of snow on the side of the road. I've even taken it down a nice off-road trail new where we moved to and was surprised at how well it did.

Anyway that's my introduction. I don't see myself doing a whole build out on our old TB, but who know, I just might change my mind. After driving a 74 Bronco for 8 years, I know how the itch comes right after the bite and new tires might lead to new wheels, new bumber, lift, lights...etc.

And of course a picture from this last weekend after 33 inches of "spring showers".
TB SNOW.jpg

And at work Monday as the snow melted off.
TBintown.jpg
ColoTB
Cruiser

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Welcome to the fray
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by PROSPHOTO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Welcome from another noob to the site
-Mike
PROSPHOTO

Name: Michael
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Cable810 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:26 am

Welomce!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:26 am

That's a lot of snow... I just moved to Oregon, but everyone says I missed the heavy snowfall. Not quite looking forward to it.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"