Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New to the forum, Shopping advice requested

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by bhoglan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi there!

My name's Brian. I'm in the market to buy a Trailblazer as my daily driver/mountain funcar. I owned an 02 LT previously and loved the hell out of it.

At this time I'm going to have a budget of about $3500 with the possibility of extending that to about $5500 if I absolutely have to by financing the last 2k.

So, I'm looking for advice from you folks on buying one that won't crap itself quickly.

A little about me:
1. I've got some mechanical abilities, I'm able to follow directions (even more so if there's pictures).
2. I will have the ability to afford some repairs, but like everyone, I'd rather put that money toward rum and other non-repair costs.
3. I bought a OBD2 reader for my laptop, so I should be able to check codes before buying.

With that in mind, my biggest questions are:
1. With the code reader, are there any codes or kind of codes that would make you absolutely refuse to buy a TB?
2. How many miles are too many? It looks somewhat difficult to find one with less than 100k right now, and especially in my price range I'm looking around 150k+.
3. What other useful knowledge can you impart?

I appreciate your time, you people do some amazing work and I've greatly enjoyed lurking in the project boards.

Thanks!
Brian
bhoglan
Cruiser

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:23 am

Ha, I was in the same spot as you last year.

I would recommend finding a V8, I love mine, I did have to search hard to find it though.

1. No, if it drives well and hits every gear, 4x4 engages, there's no deal breaker codes that I know of.

2. This was a big concern to me too, especially with the 4.2 as it's more a niche engine. That said, i bought mine with 182 on it, and it has around 210 now and doesn't miss a beat. I've had some wear items, balljoints, the disconnect. The rest has been modifications or basic maintenance.

3. Buy the nicest one you can afford. Don't compromise, don't think you'll add that later or whatever. Get the one you want from the start.

I have a question for you now, is this a purchase that HAS to happen, or do you have time?
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37 am

Hi Jrgunn,

Thanks for the info, that all makes decent sense.

As far as my urgency, yeah, it's pretty urgent. I'm borrowing a friend's car for now. As soon as I get my taxes back, I'll be out shopping.
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:00 am

Maintenance records are always desirable. Was the trans fluid and filter changed, was the Autotrac II fluid changed? Grab the passenger CV and see if it's flopping around up by the oil pan.

Since the newest trailblazer is seven year's old now, finding one in your price range shouldn't be difficult. However, everyone else in the world is also out car shopping at tax time, so bear that in mind.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:06 am

Autotrac II, that one was new to me. But that's apparently the fluid that goes in the transfer case. I don't think I ever would've though about that.

Good idea on the CV.

I've found quite a few candidates on Craigslist and the other various sites, now I'm just waiting to have cash before I jump out there and pester people.
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:14 am

bhoglan wrote:Autotrac II, that one was new to me. But that's apparently the fluid that goes in the transfer case. I don't think I ever would've though about that.

Good idea on the CV.

I've found quite a few candidates on Craigslist and the other various sites, now I'm just waiting to have cash before I jump out there and pester people.

Correct, it's blue, and I highly suspect it's ATF, but there are clutches inside that wear same as a transmission, and not keeping the fluid changed leads to alot of failures in them.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:15 am

Sure, that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure why I never thought about a transfer case needing fluid before. I guess I've never owned a 4WD for very long before, that's probably part of it.
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:19 am

bhoglan wrote:Sure, that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure why I never thought about a transfer case needing fluid before. I guess I've never owned a 4WD for very long before, that's probably part of it.

People tend to neglect thing's. Everyone loves to change their oil, but don't think twice about running a transmission on the same fluid and filter for 185k. Then they have a problem, flush the thing, and say changing the fluid killed the transmission lol.

Now, nothing last forever, but there are thing's we can do to make them last longer.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 am

I'm just as guilty as the next person as far as fluids go.

So as far as tranny "safeness" I guess I'd look at:
1. Does the seller know the maintenance record of the tranny?
2. Does it shift into every gear?
2a. Does it shift into the gears in a reasonable amount of time?
3. Does it slip?
4. Inappropriate noises.

Any further thoughts on that topic?
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:28 am

Examine the fluid, and for that matter, all the fluids.

Check everything cold, look for color, bubbles, etc.

Then after your test drive, check them again.

Transmission fluid should be red. New fluid is bright red, OK fluid is about the color of blood. It should not be brown or black. It shoudl not smell burnt. If you rub it around on your fingertips, and looks closely, you shouldn't see any metallic shavings.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:40 am

Excellent. Good advice. I'm making out a checklist for myself.

Now, checking the transfer case fluid, I'm gathering that's one of the fluids that you pretty much check by changing, is that correct?
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:46 am

bhoglan wrote:Excellent. Good advice. I'm making out a checklist for myself.

Now, checking the transfer case fluid, I'm gathering that's one of the fluids that you pretty much check by changing, is that correct?

Yes, it's unlikely the seller will have records, it probably just hasn't been done. Mine was dealer serviced it's whole life before me, so likely was done. It's roughly 20 bucks a quart, and takes about 2 quarts. For me, it was part of my initial purchase maintenance I did along with my front and rear diff oils, transmission filter and fluid.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 am

Gotcha. I think that sounds like a reasonable way to get acquainted with your new car anyway.
bhoglan
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 am

I may be cynical, but I just assume everyone abuses everything and no one maintains it lol.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by navigator » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:30 am

I'm not sure I would pass on a great I6 just to wait for the v8. The I6 with 3.73 gears should run up to a 33" tire fine. Now if you find a nice v8 with 3.73 gears that would be awesome.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm

navigator wrote:I'm not sure I would pass on a great I6 just to wait for the v8. The I6 with 3.73 gears should run up to a 33" tire fine. Now if you find a nice v8 with 3.73 gears that would be awesome.

I wouldn't pass a 6 up either if it was nice and low mileage. But I'm really glad I waited and listened to everyone here and found the V8 lol.

There's a solid chance I'll be picking up another for my GF to drive to work.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bhoglan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:42 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll prefer an 8 over a 6. Also, yeah I assume everyone else fills their gas tanks with sugar water and changes their oil with olive oil. This is why I'm nervous about finding something new.
bhoglan
Cruiser

by v7guy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41 am

If it's between a V8 with 3.42s and an I6 with 4.10s get the I6. The V8 really doesn't have much over the I6.
Also stay away from 2002s it was the first year and they've got their own quirky little problems that the newer ones don't have.

I'd assume the balljoints need replaced, all the fluids need changed and the front axles and axle bearings are probably going to be toast or will be shortly after lifting, as well as the disconnect needing greased at a minimum.

By the time you're up over 100,000 miles these are all items that are pretty well worn and typically need attention. I think it's unrealistic to think you'll find one with that many miles that won't need a fair amount of maintenance.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:46 am

I'd seek out a V8 4WD with 4.10 gears with an open diff...

As I understand it, the V8 has a little more low end grunt for highway speeds with big tires. My I6 with 4.56 and 33s does okay, but I often wish it had just a bit more power at low rpms to get me over big hills without the trans having to unlock the TCC.

If you can find one with a rebuilt transmission, it might be nice, because I feel like 150k+ miles on a auto - you're on borrowed time already. Their biggest enemy is heat - so the first thing I'd install is a trans cooler.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Mine is a 06, so to compare, the 4.2 was 291 hp @ 6000 and 277 TQ @ 4800. My 5.3 is 305hp @ 5200 and 330 TQ @ 4000. So a little more power, a little lower. Probably barely enough to notice.

My main concern when purchasing the Trailblazer ahead of time, is I intend to have mine a long long time. So I want to be able to get parts. The 4.2 being a niche, discontinued engine, well that was on my mind.

Also, my LT is optioned way nicer than most LS's I see, although seem's comparable to my GF's nephew's LTZ.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Next

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"