Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New 03 EXT owner and vehicle mod addict.

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by Berettaspeed » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:42 pm

I just bought an 03 ext. It appears solid with 190k. Its had a trans replacement/rebuild or so claimed and is painted and markings on frame showing someone removed things to gain access to trans. So Im sure its been replaced. Claimed replaced around 150s. It has the diesel sound, but it appears this is somewhat normal from reading around. It also sounds like crank slap with lifter tick many gm vehicles suffer from. Typical front pinion seal seep/leak and trans cool lines seeping. I like buying vehicles that need some work. Suspension needs some love but Im on the prowl already for parts.
I have never owned a straight 6 other than we had a bronco l6 when I was a kid. I have been working on cars and trucks for 13 years now and encounter all kinds of vehicles. No matter how much I work on, I can never know all the secrets of every vehicle. Im glad to be here and know I will learn and already have.

I have only had this for one week and the itch comes to me for upgrades/repairs. This will be my first ever 4WD vehicle. So beginner for now I am.

I dont think regular and average vehicles cut it for many to be happy. While its mostly city driving, I think many may consider it pretty rough :zombie: . City maintained roads need to be overcome along with awesome winters. We have some land up north that needs a truck and well, I have always been passenger and not needed my own. We try to make the driveway easy as possible..... but nature regularly creates obstacles and well, its fun :) So upgrades to make my Ext more reliable and ready for what I demand are in way.

I enjoy reading people sharing knowledge of vehicles. Thanks for having what seems to be an awesome community of these trucks.
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 am

The I6 is pretty quiet, but mine only has about 130k.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by KingBird » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:36 am

I agree, they're generally pretty quiet, but mine got a but noisy before it had to be replaced...

A few of us have had to replace our stock engines, we're here to answer questions if you need us.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Berettaspeed » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:42 am

KingBird wrote:I agree, they're generally pretty quiet, but mine got a but noisy before it had to be replaced...

A few of us have had to replace our stock engines, we're here to answer questions if you need us.

Yea it quiets down after like 5 min. I should have mentioned its only noisy on cold startups. I did an oil change already and not much difference. I didnt have my fingers crossed enough I guess. I will use that help offer for sure. :)
thanks again for making me feel welcomed.
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

by v7guy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:23 am

where are you located? Although we're a surly bunch, we're pretty well known for helping each other out and getting shit done even if there are some conflicts between the individuals. This group really does embrace the all hands on board mentality. I'f you're local to someone you could probably find someone to lend a hand if you need it.

The I6 is a fairly robust design, it doesn't tend to like infrequent oil changes though. You start to run into issues with the cam advance system. Everything seems to point to GM originally intending to make the SS version a turbo/twin turbo design... hence the lower compression originally and the fairly robust design in the rods and pistons. If things are starting to get a little noisey I would probably start putting away money for a rebuild to be safe. These motors will generally take a pretty good beating.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Berettaspeed wrote:Yea it quiets down after like 5 min. I should have mentioned its only noisy on cold startups. I did an oil change already and not much difference. I didnt have my fingers crossed enough I guess. I will use that help offer for sure. :)

Sounds like you have cracked manifold, mine sounded like old farm tractor for few minutes until it heated up.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008

by Berettaspeed » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:21 pm

TBYODA wrote:
Berettaspeed wrote:Yea it quiets down after like 5 min. I should have mentioned its only noisy on cold startups. I did an oil change already and not much difference. I didnt have my fingers crossed enough I guess. I will use that help offer for sure. :)

Sounds like you have cracked manifold, mine sounded like old farm tractor for few minutes until it heated up.

I will have to check for black soot on it for cracks. I didnt think of cracked. I looked at the seal for black soot. Looked and appeared clean. Along with checking down pipe seal for soot. It sounds kinda cool. lol
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"