Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

new guy fresh build, from Mokena, IL

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by Mrandersonxd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:05 pm

Had a little fun on Christmas
Attachments
CameraZOOM-20151226113518376.jpg
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Mrandersonxd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:13 am

Updates:
PCMforLess tune
New custom made cold air intake
Hayden trans cooler
Rear AC delete
Looped rear heater lines
Had a 5v reference short and chased it down to pcm(tune!)
New throttle body
New fan clutch
Removed washer fluid reservoir and relocated to rear(used the rear fluid line and ran new wires to a universal tank(will post a write up when I have time)
New brake pedal switch(brake lights were stuck on unless I got under and moved the switch around)

Next projects:
Junkyard rear hatch(my 3rd brake light and trim flew off on the highway and I have bad rust)
New tail lights(cracked)
3.42 -> 4.10 gear swap
CV axles +4wd disconnect
Attachments
CameraZOOM-20160616194655965.jpg
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by larryk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:27 am

Hey! Just saw the post as it popped up in the active ones.... Im in Bolingbrook, and drive through Mokena daily (on my way to Kankakee).... Anyhow, I saw in your post you picked up a a rebuilt trans from Shift Rite in Kankakee? Funny you mention that...my stock one on my EXT just gave up the ghost, and I have a 4L65E Stage1 (with the 5 pinion planetaries, wide band, covette servo, blah blah blah) which I am going to throw in tomorrow. Any advice on swapping that thing? Ive swapped transmissions before, but I know every car/truck is different. Anyting you found to make it go smoother? Im planning on changing my cooler lines at the same time....so this should be fun ;) How is the trans holding up for you? I really like those guys down there....they run a legit shop.

Nice mods to the truck.....and, FWIW, I just swapped my rear to a 4.10 9.5" from an SS. AWESOME upgrade, but the change from 3.42 to 4.10 was less impactful than I thought it would be. Mileage, (before the trans died) was actually MUCH better. My PCMforless tune is stil being worked on....round2....but pretty happy with it. I hope he can solve the speedo/ABS issue for the 4.10's.....as attempt #1 did not do it.
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Mrandersonxd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:35 pm

The trans is very nice. Put around 7500 on it so far. The trans fluid looked like it was straight out of the bottle when I cut my lines for the trans cooler.

The hardest part of the trans install was getting to the exhaust bolts. I used a long extension with a joint in it. I lowered the trans a bit on the trans jack and once I caught it on the bolts I attached my impact and pulled them out. Getting them back on was a real task. Maybe someone has a better method but I needed to get it done in a small window of time... didn't look on the forums at all.

My cooler lines are what failed and caused my trans to fail. I would recommend replacing them and not put the "shields" back on. The leaks were inside the shield.... great design. Pretty much traps all the salt and rots away the lines. I used 3 cans of trans flush for the radiator. It was clear halfway thru the 1st can but I wasn't about to take any chances. Use the recommended trans fluid as well!

I did it in 2 days after work.
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by larryk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Mrandersonxd wrote:The trans is very nice. Put around 7500 on it so far. The trans fluid looked like it was straight out of the bottle when I cut my lines for the trans cooler.

The hardest part of the trans install was getting to the exhaust bolts. I used a long extension with a joint in it. I lowered the trans a bit on the trans jack and once I caught it on the bolts I attached my impact and pulled them out. Getting them back on was a real task. Maybe someone has a better method but I needed to get it done in a small window of time... didn't look on the forums at all.

My cooler lines are what failed and caused my trans to fail. I would recommend replacing them and not put the "shields" back on. The leaks were inside the shield.... great design. Pretty much traps all the salt and rots away the lines. I used 3 cans of trans flush for the radiator. It was clear halfway thru the 1st can but I wasn't about to take any chances. Use the recommended trans fluid as well!

I did it in 2 days after work.

Good to hear.....as the exhaust was my concern as well, and the first thing I tackled. Got that downpipe off without snapping a stud! :) I did extract one rather than the nut coming off, and boogered up another one....but I bought some stainless flange nuts to replace them with anyhow, so if (ever) they need to come off again, shouldnt be a problem.

I did snap the two bolts holding the aftercat to the rear section, but I can just drill out the studs and install bolts/nuts in its place. Easy Peasy

Ill update this with pics (of pump carnage, Im sure) over the weekend when the thing is replaced.
larryk
Off-Roader

by Mrandersonxd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:52 pm

What did you pay for the 4.10 swap? Found a gt5 + g80 they want $700 for front and back.
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by ErikSS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Rig looks good! I might know of a 4.10 front differential. PM me if you're interested.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by tsmith1156 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Good looking rig from what you've posted, sounds like you've done a ton to it, I'm guessing it isn't your dd or you have no little kids since you did the rear AC delete and removed the 3rd row?
tsmith1156
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler Smith
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Mrandersonxd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:06 am

I'm a 29 year old, no kids and it is my DD. I do my mods on weekends or after work. The rear ac delete was something I wanted to do well before I lifted the tv. Coolant started to leak from the unit so it had to go. I hated the third row! So much trunk space now! Planning to turn it into a cargo/camper space for trips out west with my girlfriend.

I appreciate the comments!

Any of you in the Midwest know where I can find an ext rear hatch with minimal rust(LOL!)? Any color! I've been searching for almost a year.
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Mrandersonxd wrote:I'm a 29 year old, no kids and it is my DD. I do my mods on weekends or after work. The rear ac delete was something I wanted to do well before I lifted the tv. Coolant started to leak from the unit so it had to go. I hated the third row! So much trunk space now! Planning to turn it into a cargo/camper space for trips out west with my girlfriend.

Any of you in the Midwest know where I can find an ext rear hatch with minimal rust(LOL!)? Any color! I've been searching for almost a year.

Hit your local LKQ/Pullapart regularly. Everytime I go to mine you can't swing a dead hooker without hitting a Trailvoy, usually smashed in the front, and missing the motor lol.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Mrandersonxd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:52 pm

I frequent them. I'm going to one tomorrow to pick up a 4.10 rear end.
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:57 pm

You can always try car-part.com, but you'll pay that way.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by larryk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 am

Mrandersonxd wrote:I'm a 29 year old, no kids and it is my DD. I do my mods on weekends or after work. The rear ac delete was something I wanted to do well before I lifted the tv. Coolant started to leak from the unit so it had to go. I hated the third row! So much trunk space now! Planning to turn it into a cargo/camper space for trips out west with my girlfriend.

I have one with a minor dent on it.....you can have it if you come get it and haul it away. Im in Bolingbrook
larryk
Off-Roader

by Mrandersonxd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

Can you send me a picture? I'll pm you my number
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by Mrandersonxd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Big thanks to larryk! He was very generous and gifted me an EXT hatch with a couple dings and zero rust!

Also, I realized after leaving that it was my REAR wheel bearings that were replaced not the front. :facepalm:
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

by larryk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Mrandersonxd wrote:Big thanks to larryk! He was very generous and gifted me an EXT hatch with a couple dings and zero rust!

Also, I realized after leaving that it was my REAR wheel bearings that were replaced not the front. :facepalm:

You are welcome! Glad it is going to someone who will get it back on a truck and in use! Remember...I want to see a picture of it when you have it on!

As for the wheel bearings/hubs....AHHH...that makes sense. I was a bit confused, apparently talking a bout front bearings/hubs. LOL :)

You have a nice truck....looks pretty badass. What was the name of that bluetooth guage thing? I need to get one!
larryk
Off-Roader

by Mrandersonxd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks! It's a work in progress but it's getting there.

Here's link to the scanner. Use the Torque pro app with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NLQA ... ref=plSrch
Mrandersonxd
Cruiser

Previous

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"