Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Checking in from Oakland, CA (the armpit of California)

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by mcsteven » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Hey folks,

MCSteven here, same name over on GMTNation. Got an 2006 Envoy SLT (SWB) 4WD. So of course it's got the 4.2L, and a few mods or upgrades. I'm running Mobil synthetic oil, ATF, PS fluid, and when any more get changed, I'll swap to the synthetic there as well. Swapped front brake size to the XL, and am running drilled and slotted rotors. A few electrical and LED components other than that. Still have a warranty, so no big changes yet.

Wanting to add a CB radio and antenna. I'm not way out in the wilderness, so I don't think I need a 10M/Ham setup. I'd like to find a decent example of placement for the radio, and some ideas for antenna mounting. For the antenna, I'm thinking either the driver's side opposite the AM/FM antenna, or on the rear mounted at one of the taillights. Very tight budget but will be moving cross country by Fall 2016 and want to have a little extra chatter and communication for the 3200 miles. I'll be searching the site for ideas, but if anyone has something they want to point me to, feel free. Open to advice as well. I don't want to put a hole into the roof or other body panels (a hidden screw hole is one thing, but no roof mounted antennas). I'm not really keen on magnetic mount antennas, as I'd rather not run the cable down into the truck through the weatherstripping, but I'm considering it due to ease of removal/hiding it as well as usually pre-tuned.

EDIT: I posted a similar post on GMTNation, checked out the mount by BartonMD (thanks HT), but figured additional antennas might be a bit more common here on ORTB. /EDIT

If you're not already a member over at GMTNation.com, you should join there as well. I know a bunch of the folks there are also over here.

Thanks all,
Marc aka MCSteven
mcsteven

Name: Marc
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:02 am

As several members here can attest, I'm not very smart on the CB level. I think we spend a total of 2 hours at the last TECORE trying to get my shittily installed CB antenna to work and still had zero success... At least I'm good for comic relief! Welcome to the madness that is ORTB
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by KingBird » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 am

Tried registering over there, but the confirmation E-mail hasn't gone through after about seven tries now. Oh well, I guess they can figure out '06 engine swaps into previous year trucks on their own...
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by mcsteven » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 pm

KingBird wrote:Tried registering over there, but the confirmation E-mail hasn't gone through after about seven tries now. Oh well, I guess they can figure out '06 engine swaps into previous year trucks on their own...

That sucks. I'll see if I can get an admin to address it for you if you'd like.
mcsteven

by djthumper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:42 pm

KingBird wrote:Tried registering over there, but the confirmation E-mail hasn't gone through after about seven tries now. Oh well, I guess they can figure out '06 engine swaps into previous year trucks on their own...

Have you tried contacting a mod or admin on this? I am an admin over there as well. If we don't know it isn't working we can't fix it. Just like here.

:shock:
djthumper

Name: Larry

by mcsteven » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 pm

djthumper wrote:...I am an admin over there....
:shock:

I'll leave it in your capable hands DJT.
mcsteven

by KingBird » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm

To be quite honest, I didn't think I had that capability, I saw where Moose said to put in a trouble call or whatever but haven't found out how to do that.

Thing is, I can't be the only one...
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 am

As for the CB question you've got, I am still happy with the way I mounted mine:

More info in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=467#p475
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by KingBird » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 am

Sorry for the threadjack.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by v7guy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:30 am

I went up through the dash, then the A pillar, then tucked it up under the headliner and went down to the headlight, you can go outside the vehicle through the taillight wiring holes, then I used a small round file and filed a half circle on the taillight edge, between the body/taillight gap and the little filed groove there's plenty of room, but there's other ways to go about it I'm sure

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3809
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mcsteven » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:55 am

Trail X wrote:As for the CB question you've got, I am still happy with the way I mounted mine:

More info in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=467#p475

I like that too, but after I looked at BartonMD's setup, I realized that the Envoy hatch opens and you see the plastic of the taillights. The amber plastic rises above the plastic body of the assembly. I was thinking I'd put it right there, but with the weight and wind stresses on it, I'm afraid I might crack the lens. I was thinking about using an inner fender at the hood mount, opposite the FM radio antenna, but haven't found a good design. I did find this one via a google search, and I may have access to someone who could cut and bend it for me if I create a template.

I'm also think I'm going with a decent magnetic. As long as the antenna is height adjustable so I can tune the SWR. I've seen many with a set screw and you just trim the bottom of the mast. If I was running taillight guards I'd attach it there, or a basket, but I also use drive thru car washes when in a hurry so I'm also going to consider that. Finally, I'm pretty sure from the recommendation of some of the folks like HardTrailz that I'll go with the Cobra 75 and put the dock unit under the driver's seat.
mcsteven

by TBYODA » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:41 pm

I used a Wilson Little Wil mag mount, it has a set screw so you can adjust the SWR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5 ... UTF8&psc=1
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"