Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hello from Austin TX!

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by ElRey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:30 am

Hey guys, my name is Ryan, I hail from ATX. Im pretty new to the whole Trailvoy scene, I just got my 07 LS 4X4 with the 4.2 about a week ago. Ive been lurking this site since I decided to go the TB route and have to say...this community is awfully impressive! Right now my rig is bone stock, and I dont believe I've got the g80! :facepalm:

My goal with this beast is to turn it into a capable daily driver. No need to conquer moab, just some good muddy trails...possibly a few hills. Nothing crazy. This is what I have planned:
I will be making a road trip with the family out to Wyoming this april or may, supposedly there should be some good trails to hit and possibly snow. So im going to need tires, lift, new shocks (the rears are already blown), brush guard, lights... You know...the essentials! :lol: hopefully, budget permitting, a locker. We'll see. If anyone has any suggestions im all ears! I see a lot of ideas I like in the build threads...hopefully my wallet can make it happen!

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant, let me know if there are any other TX members, im always on the lookout for cool people!

:salut:
ElRey

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by KingBird » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 am

I'm up around Lubbock. I have a Bravada but it has an '06 4.2 from a Ranier and the TC and associated wiring along with the TCCM from an '08 TB. Doing all of that made for a fun month. I'm also running a 3" lift. Up here, we have red and black clay, which makes for some especially sloppy mud. With a good set of tires and the lift, these trucks are more than capable. I would definitely recommend a locker. If you don't have the G80, that could actually work out for you because you could install a better quality lunchbox locker. Oh and I also recommend a good set of sliders, mine have saved the side of my rig countless times now.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by moose1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:14 am

welcome
moose1
Off-Roader

Name: kevin
Vehicle Year: 2008

by BC backroader » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Welcome, ElRey. I'd recommend that you skip the brushgaurd and lights, in favor of the locker, whether you go for the G80 (love mine), or a good aftermarket one. When you do the lift, you'll need longer rear shocks, so the fact that yours are blown doesn't matter, they'll get done with the lift. I went with the BDS shocks, but there are other good options out there, so read lots of the build threads.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Cable810 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Welcome!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:46 pm

excellent! motivated new members is what we need!
Think hard to prioritize your money/mods. Just like Brad said, brush guards aren't really functional for anything other than holding lights. Skids, tires, shocks/lift are better areas to spend that $$$

My opinion, only.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ElRey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:41 pm

I think the first thing i want to approach is the lift and tires. Ive been checking out the build threads, I really like the expedition type, with the roof basket and mild lift. This is my daily driver...so no crazy front axle swaps and mud terrains for me! Unfortunately tyere arent many places to get off the pavement around here unless you're on a private ranch. Im glad to have stumbled upon you guys! this site has been a wealth of information! And with passionate members...i will keep you guys updated, as soon as I get my truck washed ill post a pic. :excited: :woot:
ElRey

by KingBird » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 am

There aren't any trails near lake Travis or LBJ?
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by ElRey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:25 am

No, none that I am aware of; unless you are on a mountain bike! Lol! The closest place to go off roading is in marble falls, but from what I'm told, it's pretty hard core. Still interested to go check it out though.
ElRey

by KingBird » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 am

Oh man, I would have figured there would be. Now I'm glad that I haven't planned a trip...

Sounds like a road trip to Las Cruces is in order...
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by ElRey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:28 pm

Yeah, Austin is an outdoorsmans paradise! I love it, but i have some friends who are offroaders and ive been told good trails are nonexistant in the city. Not surprising considering how Liberal the city is. Once i get some mods going, a road trip is most definately in order. I would love to do Utah!
ElRey

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"