Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bartonmd's Build, 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer

These are lifted trucks and have posted trip reports showing travel on non-stock passable trails.

Moderator: navigator

by bartonmd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SWB

Drivetrain Specs: 5.3L, 4WD, 3.42, G80

Suspension Modifications: 2" rear lift blocks, Bilstein 5125 33-185552 with 255/70 valving, and Airlift 1000 airbags, and front Radflo coilovers. Deleted rear sway bar, and front heim links.

Wheels / Tires: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2, in LT265/70-17 Load Range E. Stock wheels with 1.5" hubcentric spacers/adapters.

Exterior Modifications:

- GM fiberglass fuel tank / T-case shield

- "Wife-Resistant Running Boards" for the wife (her DD)... 2" x 6" x 3/16" boxed sliders, mounted on 2" x 2" x 1/4" legs, that are welded to load spreading plates, welded to the frame. Recently added 2" to the rear for tire kick-out and more foot room.

- One each of my (MDB Fabrication LLC, AKA "MTA") bumpers, radiator skids, and oil pan skids:
viewforum.php?f=35"

- Got rid of the stock resonator, and welded in a stainless Magnaflow muffler

- Open, blacked out LT grille

Engine Modifications: 5.3L LH6 V8. Tuned with Magnaflow muffler and no resonator. Trans cooler with thermostatic bypass.

Interior Modifications: Hooked into rear seat cig. lighter wiring and added a 2-pin SAE connector to plug in inverter. This frees up the rear lighter port, is a more secure connection than a lighter port, and allows the use of said port while rear seats are down.

Rear cargo cage, made by me.

Recovery Equipment:

- 48" Hi-Lift jack - http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/all-cast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Off-Road Base - http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-base.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Lift-Mate wheel lift hooks - http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Off-Road Kit for Hi-Lift - http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Jack repair kit - http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/fix-it-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Smittybilt X20-10 winch with Spider-Silk winch line and a Factor55 Flat Link
- 20' of 3/8" Grade 70 transport chain
- 2" x 20' static "tow" strap
- 2" x 30' dynamic "extraction" strap
- 2" receiver shackle mount for rear and front (plus shackle mounts on bumper)
- A bunch of 3/4" shackle mounts
- 4' of 3/8" grade 70 transport chain with hooks on both ends (for wrapping around frames of vehicles without shackle points)
- Extra hitch pins
- 2 x 100' of synthetic winch line extension

Electrical Modifications:

- Driving lights - In the bumper, 55W LED "spot" beam lights. When they're turned on, they turn on and off with the HIGH beams.

- Light Bars - Also in the bumper, 19" single row and 21" single row, enabled by HIGH beams, but on a separate switch, so they don't have to turn on with the HIGH beams.

- Marine power-switch for winch power

- Cobra C75-WXST CB Radio, and associated antenna (seen below)

- Tekonsha P3 brake controller (install here: http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/how-t ... r-install/ )

- Ultragauge

Last edited by bartonmd on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I went from the 83 springs to the 87 springs and Bilstein HD dampers (now Bilsteins all the way around), and with the extra bumper/skid weight, picked up 1.5" of front height.

Also made myself a winch mount for my new Smittybilt XRC10 winch, and wired it into the new Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) P-4 battery using Anderson Powerpole 175A quick disconnects and 4ga wire.

The hole in my grill for the connection to go through (with obligatory self-reflection in the grill):

Wheeling the new setup:

bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am

Wheels / Tires: BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A, in LT245/70-17 Load Range E. Stock wheels with no spacers/adaptors

1/4" of ball joint clearance:
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:11 am

- "Wife-Resistant Running Boards" for the wife (her DD)... 2" x 6" x 3/16" boxed sliders, mounted on 2" x 2" x 1/4" legs, that are welded to load spreading plates, welded to the frame.

Yes, they do hold the vehicle's weight:
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 am

One each of my (MDB Fabrication LLC, AKA "MTA") bumpers, radiator skids, and oil pan skids:
viewforum.php?f=35"
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am

Got rid of the stock resonator, and welded in a piece of 2-3/4" pipe and welded that to a 3" chromed tail pipe. Idle is a little louder and more pronounced "V8" sound outside the vehicle, but sounds the same at all times, inside, with the windows up. Masked off the chrome tip, and painted the pipe and welds with header paint, to stop rust.

bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am

- Cobra C75-WXST CB Radio, and associated antenna (seen below).

I made a bracket out of 12ga 304 stainless steel, and cut it to fit. I drilled (2) 1/4" holes in it, then transferred them to the body, as shown. There is no good way to get nuts on the inside of that spot, so I removed the tail light and drilled a 7/8" hole in the bottom sheet metal. I slathered everything in between the mount and body with silicone, then put the 1/4-20 bolts through the holes and put the Nylock nuts on the inside, through the 7/8" hole. I then put some silicone on a 7/8" Heyco plug, and snapped it in the hole. I ran the antenna wire in with the tail light wiring, and used a round file to file off a little bit of the top of the tail light, so the cable could pass through.

bartonmd

by bartonmd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 am

Finally updating this... Put on a new rev of the front bumper with 2 sets of lights frenched in, and powdercoated the bumper, radiator skid, and winch mount.

bartonmd

by bartonmd » Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 am

Added Radflo coilovers with 600#/in springs

bartonmd