Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cody_S's Build - 2006 Chevy Trailblazer LT

Builds classified as Mall Rated have minimal modifications, or their owners have not posted trail reports to progress through the ranking system. If you are going to start a build thread, you must start it here. If it is not correct per your rank, please PM a moderator.

Moderator: navigator

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:07 am

Time for build #2 after returning to the GMT360 platform! :woot:

Current photo:

Year Make Model:
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT

Drivetrain Specs:
4x4, no locker
3.73 gear ratio

Suspension Modifications:
Rough Country 2" suspension lift
Rear: Z71 springs with Skyjacker shocks.
Front: Moog 81114 springs with Bilstein 4600s

Exterior Modifications:
MDB Fabrication winch bumper
Trimmed inner fender
Reese roof basket
Rear work lights
ATAS-120A mobile HF antenna (7Mhz and up)
2M/440 antenna

Engine Modifications:
Exhaust resonator delete

Interior Modifications:

Recovery Equipment:
Smittybilt winch w/ synthetic rope
Tree straps
Tow straps
Snatch blocks
Hi-lift
Hydraulic floor jack
Shovel

Electrical Modifications:
LED headlights/hi-beams
LED rear work lights
Yaesu FT-891 HF ham radio
Icom IC-5100 VHF/UHF/Dstar ham radio
Speedtech Lights switch panel
Emergency LED strobes
Last edited by Cody_S on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:12 am

Found a great deal on a 2006 LT with only 85,000 miles that I had to grab!
It's a daily driver, but that doesn't mean it can't be a little fun too!

Let the fun begin! :flex dirty:
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:17 am

The first step was to salvage the tires from my old Durango before selling it. They were 265/70/17, so of course I had to justify a lift and some wheel spacers!

I also moved over my ham radio equipment: a Yaesu FT-891 HF rig, and an Icom IC-5100 for VHF/UHF/Dstar:

The ATAS antenna for the HF rig mounted to the hood. Sticks out like a sore thumb, but gets the job done!
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:21 am

Next I put my old CBI fold-down tire carrier on. It's been sitting in storage for a while. You might recognize it from my old Envoy build thread, and it also got some use on my Toyota Sequoia. Love the fact that it has the pass-through hitch, and didn't cause any issues towing with it installed. I also really love the integrated hi-lift mount.
However when putting it on, I noticed that it takes up a good chunk of the rear window, and blocks the rear strobe that I have mounted behind the glass, so I took it back off for now. Might have to swing for a fancy new bumper with the swing-out carrier sometime :viking:

Last edited by Cody_S on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 am

Decided I wanted to paint the rear bumper black. Was planning on using bedliner, but went with Plasti-Dip first to see if I liked the color. I think it came out looking pretty well, and it hasn't peeled off yet, so I think I'm gonna leave the Plasti-Dip for now. If it ever starts to peel, I think I will go ahead with the bedliner.

Took the bumper cover off to paint it properly instead of leaving it on the truck. Masked off the reflectors and went to town.

Really digging the way it came out!
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 am

Now comes the fun part. How to mount the winch that's sitting in the garage? My Envoy had a winch bumper made by a company that I won't name here because I don't even know what name, if any, they're going by right now. That notorious company that would rename themselves after each BBB F rating. The bumper worked, but damn it was ugly, and jetted way too far out.

I installed front hitch receivers and used a cradle mount for the Sequoia and Durango. But after seeing Bill's posts about using the front hitch receiver on this platform, I knew I didn't want to go that route with the TB. So I ordered a bumper kit from MDB Fabrication! :flex dirty:

I seriously cannot recommend MDB Fabrication enough. He does great work, and this bumper is quality. Love the way it hugs the body, compared to my old bumper that stuck out way too far :)

Everything removed and prepped for the new bumper

Getting everything close to finished at the weld shop!

Painted and installed!

Went with some nice orange shackles, thought the provided some nice contrast :)
Last edited by Cody_S on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:43 am

Found a great deal on Craigslist for a Yakima roof basket. The guy sold it with the Yakima locking Q-towers and cross bars, which I didn't need. Once I got home, I realized that the roof basket was not actually a Yakima, but one of those cheap Reese baskets that you can get at Walmart for like $80. Damn, I should have checked this out better before I bought it, but at least the rest of the stuff in the set was actually made by Yakima. After selling the towers and crossbars on LetGo for more than I paid for the set, I essentially wound up with a free basket lol. Went ahead and wired some work lights to the back of it.

Not too bad, will probably upgrade to a heavier duty basket down the road, but this will be okay for now.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Cody_S » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Finally got around to installing the rest of the suspension parts. Ordered the parts months ago, but install took a back seat to things like wedding planning and moving into our new house. :cheers:

Went with the same setup I did on my old Envoy: the Z71 springs and Skyjacker shocks in the rear. Moog 81114 springs with Bilstein 4600 struts in the front.

Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Return to Mall Rated Builds