Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Zero's Build - 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Builds classified as Mall Rated have minimal modifications, or their owners have not posted trail reports to progress through the ranking system. If you are going to start a build thread, you must start it here. If it is not correct per your rank, please PM a moderator.

Moderator: navigator

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:07 am

Hey everyone! Welcome to my build. I started with a stock 2005 Trailblazer EXT. i have been a custom vehicle designer, and builder for almost a decade, and I have loved every minute of it.
While searching the net for a local club, so i could better familiarize my self with available mods, and what everyone is doing to their trucks I found Trailvoy, and later became a dedicated member over here where I spend a majority of my time :work:

ZERO'S "MAYHEM" BUILD - 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER EXT

-------------------------------------------

BODY:

Year Make Model:
2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4x4

Drivetrain Specs:
G80
Transgo Shift kit
Vette Servo
Amsoil fluids

Suspension Modifications:
Front -
BDS 2" lift kit
Billstein HD shocks
Hotchkis Poly front sway bar bushings

Rear -
Z71 Avalanche springs and shocks
Smaxx 1.5" spacer

Wheels and Tires:
American Racing "Marin" wheels - 17" tall x 8" wide / +24mm offset / 6x5 bolt pattern / flat black
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar tires - 265/70/17 (32")

Exterior Modifications:
Tint
Painted rock deflector
Stubby rubber antenna
Custom made spare tire carrier / Jerrycan mount / Hi-lift mount / License plate mount
3m clear rock guard on select body panels

Engine Modifications:
AirAid CAD intake system
PCMForless engine tune (89 octane)
Amsoil racing fluids
Resonator delete mod

Interior Modifications:
Storage compartments on side of passenger seat
Mag light mount
Dash mounted ScanGauge2
Ram-Mount Lap top mounting system

Recovery Equipment:
Jumper cables
Booster pack
Tow strap
Hi-lift jack
FRS radio
Front tow hooks

Electrical Modifications:
Pioneer Avic-Z110BT head unit
Sirius sat radio
Delorme GPS topography kit
Trailer mount license plate holder mounted on spare tire carrier
Dash mounted ScanGauge2

TB Armor:
MTA Oil pan skid plate w/ bolt head protectors.
Last edited by Zero on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 am

Mayhem stock on her maiden voyage with AlekG

As you can see there is just no comparing a stock voy to one like AlekG's......

After reading all i could get my hands on the trailvoy site, I made the major decision.

To go up, or down??????

All the other vehicles i have owned have been slammed, or finely tuned race suspensions. So i figured i would take a hard left, and give my self a challenge by doing something completely new, and build my self a expedition vehicle. Since a major lift was out of the question due to the trailblazer not have a solid front axel. And lets be honest, even mall crawlers dont want to be mall crawlers!!! :cheers: lol I am a man of form and function, so thats why i chose the expedition style platform.

One of my first mods was doing a body color match to my hood mounted bug deflector. I hated how it stood out like a sore thumb. Now it looks amazing and i get quite a few compliments. or people never know its there hahaha.

here is the link to the mod thread on trailvoy.com - http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58753

here is a pic of the new bug deflector....

Now lets move on to the new tires / wheels / and suspension mods.

Tires - Goodyear MT/R kevlar 265 /70/17
Wheels - American Racing "Marin" 17" flat black +24mm offset

No rubbing issues to report, over an inch of clearance from the ball joint, and no cutting done to the body.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:15 am

Ok now lets move on to what I have done to the suspension.

I bought the bds 2" lift kit for the front. For the same reason JD, AlekG, and TheRoadie have.....the poly bushing. I wanted a part that would be strong, and reliable, and the BDS kit is top notch in my book! :flex dirty: These things are incredibly well made, look great, and will stand up far better to abuse then the stock rubber bushing that is prone to failure.

To complement the new mounts I ordered a set of Bilstein HD shocks to replace my stock bouncy shocks. they ride soooo much better then stock, especially when the truck is getting bounced around on rough roads. I also love the blue and yellow behind the wheels, lets people know this isnt a cheap build, and that quality parts are being used. and hey, it looks cool ! :fro:

Also up front are a set of poly bushing for the sway bar, thanks to AlekG. My old stock ones def had some signs of wear and tear from the previous owner, and the harsh winters in Canada.

In the rear I replaced my stock springs with a set of the Z71 tahoe /avalanche. To be honest they arent the best ride in the world and I am currently looking into a better fit.

To increase the lift in the rear I also got a set of the 1.5" or 1.75" (not sure) Smaxx spacers from AlekG. the spacers are a simple design, and have worked well with no problems so far. I would however like to eliminate the need for any spacers and simply have a properly designed spring.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:33 am

A newly finished mod is one with quite a bit of history. Originaly it started as a front mount spare tire carrier from curt that fit into a 2" reciever, owned by Roadie himself.

Then mount was then passed on to AlekG where it was used in the rear of his truck, and received a few minor modifications.

After another few years the spare tire carrier made its way to me. It need some TLC when i first got it. So it was taken apart, and i went to town on it with a wire wheel to remove loose paint and rust. I also added a mount for my hi lift, and my 20L fuel can.
Since I knew this was gona be an ongoing project, I decided to not get it powder coated.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:40 am

A minor mod, that only cost a few dollars, and took only minutes was my swap to a short rubber antenna. I didnt like the way the big stock one would get bent and then spring back and forth.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Ok, now we can start on what is inside the vehicle. My vehicle is my home. I spend a rediculous amount of time in it for work, and personal trips. So everything has to be reliable, and working all the time. This is after all my daily driver.

Entertainment was a huge concern of mine. i wanted to be happy, as well as keep passengers happy. I need a unit that had a large touch screen, voice control, and a gps system i liked.

Eventually I can across the AVIC units from pioneer. Thanx to a buddy i was able to get a sweet discount on pioneers brand new "flag ship" head unit. AVIC-Z110BT. there is a link below.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... VIC-Z110BT

here are a few installed pics.....

gps antena for head unit mounted inside to keep it away from the elements.

Also up front with me is my Ram-Mount laptop mounting system. It is a solid system, well worth the cash. I had one issue with the kit right out of the box.....I couldnt slide my seat forward, it had to be all the way back, and the lower post was annoying to those sitting up front.

Ram-mount installed.....

I talked to the guys at Ram-Mount and they sent me a 4" angled riser. it did not let me bring the system in closer to the center console, instead it moved everything forward towards the glove box. No part of the mount seems to be in the way of any part of my airbag.

The 4" riser....

Here you see the riser hits the center console....

Mounted forward....

Last edited by Zero on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

In order to keep tabs on my engine, i decided to get the scangauge2. It has a ton of great features, and gives you peace of mind knowing whats going on under the hood while on the trails. I also realy like the ability to clear codes, i have already done it for a friend that ended up having a bad o2 sensor. I am gona go out and buy an additional cable so I can make a cleaner more permanent install.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Also inside the truck, is my 4 cell, LED, Digi Camo mag light. this sucker is bright, and mounted within arms reach at the base of the rear seats behind me. i keep it handy for safety reasons, as well as being able to find stuff and work in the dark.

Zero
Veteran

by Zero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 am

A new addition to my truck, greatly influenced by JD, and Roadie.....I got my hands on the new Delorme Earthmate GPRS LT-40.

The package came with a new updated LT-40 GPS module. It boasts more accurate positioning, and a lower power draw.

The dvd is supposed to also come with the newest software, and maps. Once I get my self familiar with the program, I'll look into the subscription to the photo library.

here are some pics......

The entire kit....

Look how small this thing is!

Zero
Veteran

Return to Mall Rated Builds