Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Red34's - 2008 GMC Envoy

Builds classified as Mall Rated have minimal modifications, or their owners have not posted trail reports to progress through the ranking system. If you are going to start a build thread, you must start it here. If it is not correct per your rank, please PM a moderator.

Moderator: navigator

by red34 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 am

Year Make Model: 2008 Envoy SLT
Drivetrain Specs:4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
Suspension Modifications:Mark's 2.5" Lift/Level and 1.5" Spacers
Bilstein HD/Front, Z71 Factory Takeoff/Rear
Factory Springs
Exterior Modifications: Grill Guard
Rims: Factory 18"
Tires: Falken Rocky Mountain ATS 265/65/R18

CURRENT PIC:

Last edited by red34 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url]=http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3978[/url]
red34

Name: Brice
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by red34 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Brand new member signing on. I've been reading this site for a few months making decisions on what I was going to do with my truck. I have taken my Envoy to the beach a few times and found that it is simply not suited for beach driving due to ridiculously low clearance. Plus I just wanted a little tougher looking truck so here goes...

I started with a used grill guard I found on craigslist for $50. It's chrome, but too good of a deal to pass on. This will most likely be black in the very near future.

I was very torn on the rims and rather to go spacers/factory or adaptors/aftermarket but I just couldn't justify the frivilous expense. I will most likely black the rims out as well.

Today we installed Mark's 2.5" lift/level, Bilstein HD front struts, and Z71 factory shocks in the rear. I opted not to change out either set of springs so that I could keep at least a little of the comfortable ride.

The install was relatively smooth with help over the phone from Mark to fix a stupid rookie mistake I was making. A++++ customer service!! I emailed a cry for help and he was on the phone in less than 5 minutes.

I tried to put 265/70/18 (almost 33") Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, but the rub was waaay too much. I'll be giving the 265/65/18 a try tomorrow morning when they arrive at the shop. Hopefully they'll work with minimal cutting/rubbing.
red34

by red34 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

I painted the grill guard and finally got the tires on. Going forward with full turn, they barely rub at all, but in reverse they rub like crazy... I'll have to do a tiny but of cutting to fix that.

red34

by red34 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

My goal was to keep the truck looking as bone stock as possible for security and because I use my Envoy as my work truck and constantly have a ton of gear in the cargo area. No extra room for a sub box!

I began by framing out the interior of the storage compartment with 2x4s. After it was framed up, a sheet of 3/4" ply (I didn't want to use MDF here because I get this area wet with fishing gear and ice chests from time to time) went over in a dry fit. This ply was cut to match the frame to give storage compartments since I'd be using the factory storage as the sub box. After cutting and final fitting, everything was carpeted and hinged up.

Next came cutting 3/4" MDF the size of the storage hatch for the sub. This was relatively simple using the factory hatch as the template. Once the hole was cut out, everything was carpeted and the sub installed. I haven't bolted this to the truck yet because I want to check a few different sound options before making it permanant.

I followed the "My version of an amp install" sticky for the most part running all the wires and sent everything to the large hatch holding the amp.

So I only lost about 4" of depth in the cargo area and was able to make up for about 100% of the storage area, if not even adding a touch. From the outside it looks bone stock and I didn't lose the ability to carry large items, even with the seats folded down.

Here is the look from the rear window:

I probably should have taken more pictures of the steps, but there was literally nothing complicated. All straight cuts and simple wood work. It's not going to win any awards, but I spent about $20 on all the materials that weren't laying around my shop and did exactly what I was wanting.
red34

by red34 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I read a lot of mixed reviews on these Falken tires so i wanted to give my update on the tires and lift: I took this thing to the beach and was extremely happy with how it ran over the ruts and deep sand. I took it through the dunes on some 4x4 trails that I never would have thought of going before. The tires didn't seem to want to dig when it was plowing through the deeper stuff. One thing I learned quickly was to turn off traction control! It took some sharp angles very nicely and only high-centered once on a really steep incline with a sharp left turn at the top. Luckily I was able to reverse quickly enough not to get stuck.

All in all, very impressed with the tires so far and very happy with my decision to lift.
red34

Return to Mall Rated Builds