Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

How long does it take to remove ring and pinion

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Lone_Wolf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I need to upgrade my gear ratios to at least 3.73 for larger tires. How long does it take to remove the ring and pinion or is it better to switch the axles completely and is it a lot more expensive to change the axles?
Lone_Wolf
Cruiser

Name: Michael Hiney
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am

Do you have the 8.0 or 8.6 ring gear? If you want to add a locker you'll want the 8.6. This may require replacing the axle depending on what you have now. As far as R&P replacement, it can be done in a few hours if you have the correct tools on hand and some experience. Note, this only applies to the rear end.

Now if you take the front into consideration as well, this will not require you to swap the axle, just remove then R&R the R&P, then install. It will possibly take you longer to remove and install the front axle than it will take you to replace R&P for both axles, depending on if you've done it before and don't run into any trouble while doing it.

Next, look at your front CV's, this would be a good time to replace them if they are worn or have unusual play. Also, it would be a good time to tear down the front axle disconnect and inspect for wear and re-grease while you're at it.

All told, everything can be done in a weekend as long as you have parts on hand and some experience with doing the work.

There is plenty of info here on the site relating to this type of work and how to remove the front diff, if you're so inclined to search first before asking.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Lone_Wolf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:46 pm

I just want to upgrade to GT4 or GT5 but my tools and knowledge are minimal. What's easier or cheaper? Gears or axles
Lone_Wolf
Cruiser

Name: Michael Hiney
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mason10198 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Of course it's both easier and cheaper to just pull a GT4/GT5 axle at a junkyard and bolt it up. But there are a lot of other factors that just depend on you. Are you going to open it up and do maintenance? Rebuild it? Add a locker? If so, what kind of locker? If you're doing any of that, you'll already have it open so regearing gets much easier. FYI, if you get a used axle(s), you should replace all outer seals at the very least.
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Diacom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Lone_Wolf wrote:I just want to upgrade to GT4 or GT5 but my tools and knowledge are minimal. What's easier or cheaper? Gears or axles

Cheaper and easier would be finding someone returning their 360 to stock and buying their already prepped axles. Otherwise it can be a toss up. Just buying and axle and swapping it in may be easier, but that is only if the axle is in good shape and doesn't require any sort of repair or major maintenance. Otherwise, a regear may be easier. Cost would be about the same if you have to buy an axle then rebuild it anyways vs buying a ring and pinion and putting it in an axle you already own.

You can save a great deal of price in having someone else do the ring and pinion if you do the labor in removing the front axle from your vehicle ahead of time. That part of the labor would be saved, and you can reinstall it after and save labor again. The rear is moot as it can be done on the vehicle.

Just like everything else we do to our 360's, the more work we do, the less out of pocket expense we pay someone else. But knowing when your skill and ability are the limiting factor so you don't end up costing yourself more by paying someone else to redo the work you've attempted will go along way as well.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

Return to Differentials / Axles