Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SS Rear Differential Swap

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Aries » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:10 pm

I strengthening my search for a SS rear differential so let my know if anyone comes across one. I'm willing to travel east of the Miss-sip with in reason. I'm really not into buying sight unseen but sometimes that's not an option. Right now I'm in Bridgeport WV on a work contract, I travel home to lower Delaware about once a month, so taking a detour would not be much of an issue.

LarryK's post got me thinking. I've been wanting to pull the 8.6 out and do a complete rebuild but I've also been thinking of an SS swap. If I'm going to spend the time and money :scratch: I may-as-well go with SS
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Just to clarify, you're looking to buy a TBSS 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle, right? Not just the differential. Are you aware of the drive shaft and U joint changes that are required?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by larryk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:22 am

No driveshaft change is needed.....but you MUST convert the U-joint to a "conversion" one. There is a NAPA number floating around the forums if you search for it.... Otherwise, its a complete plug and play. Except for geting the PCM reprogrammed for the different gear ratio, on a 2004 4.2 is a NIGHTMARE
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Aries » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:23 am

ErikSS wrote:Just to clarify, you're looking to buy a TBSS 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle, right?

Right
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 pm

larryk wrote:No driveshaft change is needed.....but you MUST convert the U-joint to a "conversion" one. There is a NAPA number floating around the forums if you search for it.... Otherwise, its a complete plug and play. Except for geting the PCM reprogrammed for the different gear ratio, on a 2004 4.2 is a NIGHTMARE

Beside the convert U-joint most have found you have to shorten the drive shaft between 1-1.5" on a SWB.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008

Return to Differentials / Axles