Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Ring/Pinion Gear Brands

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:49 pm

6-10 is front and rear recommended by GM and most aftermarket gears say 6-12.

Pinion Preload(New) Pinion Preload(Reused) Ring Gear Backlash Ring Gear Bolt Torque Carrier Bearing Cap Bolts

GM 7.2" IFS 11 to 14 in-lbs. 6 to 7 in-lbs. .006" to .010" 65 ft-lbs. 60 ft-lbs.
GM 8.5" / 8.6" 14 to 19 in-lbs. 6 to 8 in-lbs. .006" to .010" 65 ft-lbs. 60 ft-lbs.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Anthony Hernandez » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:26 pm

James said to check my tire pressure that the no slip is a clunky whore if they are off ( not his words btw )
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:30 pm

That's a whole different issue than gears. That kinda locker is a bit sloppy.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by Timberwolf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 am

HawkeyeC25 wrote:I supplied the gears, locker, and rebuild kit including bearings and seals for both front and rear diffs. The prices are for labor with me just dropping off all the parts and axles still assembled.

Did you need a different carrier for the front? It's been a while since I've had gears done. Seems like I remember you needed a different carrier for the numerically higher ratios.
I guess same question for the rear, though I know you made that moot in your case by supplying a detroit locker carrier.
Any chance you still have links to where you bought everything?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 pm

There are no carrier cutoffs on our diffs.
HARDTRAILZ

by HawkeyeC25 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:12 am

Timberwolf wrote:
HawkeyeC25 wrote:I supplied the gears, locker, and rebuild kit including bearings and seals for both front and rear diffs. The prices are for labor with me just dropping off all the parts and axles still assembled.

Did you need a different carrier for the front? It's been a while since I've had gears done. Seems like I remember you needed a different carrier for the numerically higher ratios.
I guess same question for the rear, though I know you made that moot in your case by supplying a detroit locker carrier.

Nope, I used the stock carrier for the front. And you can for the rear, but as a reminder, I have the EXT 8.6" rear end and Eaton doesn't make a Detroit Locker for the 8". They do make a Detroit TrueTrac for the 8".

I bought the gears and rebuild kits as a package... but i'm sure you can search and find the rebuild kits by themselves.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-187c148a
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Timberwolf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:34 pm

HawkeyeC25 wrote:
Timberwolf wrote:

Nope, I used the stock carrier for the front. And you can for the rear, but as a reminder, I have the EXT 8.6" rear end and Eaton doesn't make a Detroit Locker for the 8". They do make a Detroit TrueTrac for the 8".

I bought the gears and rebuild kits as a package... but i'm sure you can search and find the rebuild kits by themselves.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-187c148a

Bought the stuff you linked (other than I went with a trutrac in the back) and an 8.6 rear. Dropped everything off to DTS in Ionia. He just called to say the bearing kit for the front was incorrect. He's ordering the right one. No big deal, just wanted to throw a heads up in case someone else uses these links to do what I'm doing (and you did). He quoted his labor at $625, plus he has to get the needle bearings for the IFS diff at $15-$30 each (he wasn't 100% sure on price)
Timberwolf
Cruiser

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Lone_Wolf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 am

How much should I expect to pay for 4.10 ring and pinion. My dad and I can do all the labor ourselves so just need a rough price quote. I just want to run 32 or 33s on my TB.
Lone_Wolf
Cruiser

Name: Michael Hiney
Vehicle Year: 2008

by cpyonker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm

You know you need to rehear front and rear right?
cpyonker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by mason10198 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Lone_Wolf wrote:How much should I expect to pay for 4.10 ring and pinion. My dad and I can do all the labor ourselves so just need a rough price quote. I just want to run 32 or 33s on my TB.

I bought mine from Yukon Gear & Axle on Amazon. You'll need a gear set and an overhaul kit for each diff. Here's what I paid:

Front Diff
    4.56 Gearset - $126
    Master Overhaul Kit - $122

Rear Diff
    4.56 Gearset - $231
    Master Overhaul Kit - $175
    Eaton E-Locker - $780

Total - $1434 // ($654 w/o E-Locker)
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005