Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

10 bolt build vs 14 bolt swap

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by jdmser » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:40 am

I want to go 35s but my 3.42s are holding me back so it's time to regear. My ext has the 8.6 with no locker so I'm wondering what the better route is. New gears and locker for the 8.6 or should I swap in the 9.5? I know the 14 bolt is stronger and has more options but, what if any are the down sides. Also, are the aftermarket gears for the 10 bolt stronger or just different ratios?
jdmser
Cruiser

Name: Tom
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by ErikSS » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:47 pm

I find it depends partially on what you intend to use the truck for. I have the 14 bolt with the factory limited slip. I love it on and off road. If I were to do a ton of deep mud or rock climbing, a locker would suite me better. I don't. It's not worth it for me to change at this point. You do have to shorten your drive shaft and get a special U joint... Otherwise it's not typically a major swap. You have an 03, they didn't start using the 14 bolt until the 2006 SS. It seems they had different wheel speed sensor and different brake lines. I think you can easily put the newer axle in the older truck, but not the older axle in the newer truck.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by v7guy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:08 am

Erik pretty well nailed it. Plan on tackling bigger stuff and using throttle to do it? Might wanna go bigger, plan on doing mild stuff only, probably no point... The ole 8.6 is reasonably stout.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Differentials / Axles