Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Any tips/tricks for replacing tranny lines??

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Chango » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Have to do the rotted tranny lines... Any tips on removing/installing the clips on top of the transmission?
Looking at it, removal of the crossmember, and passenger exhaust look like it should help some.? But is that worth it?

Anyone in MI want to help!? 8-)
Chango
Off-Roader

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Eredin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 pm

I did mine without dropping anything, IIRC, but that was a few years ago. Get some beer, it'll help with the cussing. ;)
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Opeth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 am

Buy the jiffy tite tool, twist with two fingers and pull straight out. I have a three inch body lift and took me maybe 30 mins to change all 4 from radiator back with the correct tool
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Regulator1175 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:21 am

Chango, have you gotten the lines swapped yet? I am not around a lot so I didn't see this until now. Feel free to PM me if you still need help.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Berettaspeed » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:51 am

I just did these. Just remove all old ones. I use a pick to remove the clips and out they come. Some people use the tool to insert, both work, but for me removing the clip allows me to remove the rotted ones easier. Just dont lose or distort those clips.

I removed the small trans shield. Or exahust shield, which ever. Its a heat barrier to protect the trans from exhaust. Two 13 mm bolts.
That made it easier for me to get the trans side lines. I cut the lines along the frame just as they have that factory splice. Snip with a cutter. Removed the radiator side clips and popped out lines. WHile i was there, I replaced the O-rings with the green rubber o-rings. Just have them match em up at a store. Replace both radiator and trans end. Some people buy the whole nipple with a new o-ring. Sometimes the nipple is in there good and no sense in trying to remove.

Install them slowly, and watch for wiring snag, and try to remember how you removed them without bending too much. Disconnect any tight wires that might get snagged. No sense in having to deal with a broken wire on accident. Took about 2.5 hours of messing around. Routing is the annoying part.

Dont try to stay clean. Just give in to the filth and mess of trans lines. Bring lots of rags. lol :)
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Aries » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 am

This is something I'm going have to do in the spring before it causes problems. Where did you buy the new line's and what are these green o-rings you speak of.
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Grimor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:34 am

stainless lines/hoses are the way to go, good time to add a trans cooler. I'd have to look at what I bought for fittings. I just bought what Matt did.
Grimor
Trail-Blazer

Name: Dennis
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to Differentials / Axles