Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front differential bearing replacement question.

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by navigator » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:36 am

In the process of installing my "new" diff with the 4.10 gears, I found that one of the carrier bearings is pitted and needs replacement.
I expect I need to replace the bearing and race together and the old bearing pressed off and the new bearing pressed on.
Will I need to get the backlash and mesh pattern checked as well or should new bearing/race fit exactly like the old one.
Can I get the old race out without monkeying with the adjuster?

The other bearing looks brand new but I figure it makes sense if I have to replace one, to replace the other as well.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:59 pm

It isn't guaranteed that you'll need to reset your backlash, but it would be a good idea to check. More than likely, you'll be ok, but you need to check it when replacing bearings. The preload settings are different for a new bearing though (tighter), because wear-in is expected. You'll have to determine if that is important to you or not. Short answer, yes, you should to check it, but it will probably live for a long time even if you don't.

You can likely get the bearing race out without messing with the adjuster. It isn't a press fit into the adjuster, the race really just floats in there. If you can get your fingernails on the backside of it, you can slowly work it out, but it does easily get cockeyed in the adjuster and become a pain to get out.

If the other looks fine, I wouldn't touch it.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:45 pm

thanks James, I remember when we re-geared the rear the preload being different for new bearings vs used ones.
If I only replace the one bearing and the preload is different for new vs used, how would I know what preload value to use, just split the difference?
I think I'm going to call my gear guy. He has the press and the bearing puller anyway as well as all the special tools for checking the backlash etc.
If I have to get him involved, I might as well put two new bearings/races in. I expect it is close enough that if I don't muck with the adjuster it likely won't matter that much but it seems to be such a pain to pull the front diff, I might as well do it right and not have to worry about it again.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:50 pm

You can rent a bearing puller from advance, and put the new one on with a hammer.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Differentials / Axles