Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

The disadvantages of 4.10 gears

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:07 am

Yes, it's true -- there is a down-side to having these gears. Every time it rains I have to baby the throttle because the tires break free so easy! Luckily the problem isn't so bad when I'm in 4WD on snow, but I'm still getting a new set of tires before the weather changes. Sure has made it a lot more responsive in rush-hour traffic though.

So, uh yeah, I would highly recommend that nobody else do this mod... terrible results, just terrible... :poke:
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 am

Have you seen any city of highway mileage loss?

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Cable810 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 am

I've never had that problem...
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 am

Jeff, that just means you need bigger tires!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am

My 4.56s are great with my 32s. Never had an issue with them breaking away from pavement when I don't want them to. My tires somewhat suck in the rain anyways though (kinda comes with the M/T territory), but the front understeers more often than the rear oversteers in rain anyways, so its not really related to the gearing.

I did lose a bit of fuel mileage, but I still get 16-17 mpg highway. I probably lost between 0.5 and 1.0 mpg. Thinking larger tires may help me a bit there.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Unfortunately I don't think I saw a bit of change in mileage with these gears. Since 90% of my driving is in town or below 55mph, and a good deal of rush-hour traffic, I really thought the lower gears would help me pick up something. I think what really killed my highway mileage was the tires... I could originally push into the 20's, but now it's more like 17-18mpg on the highway. I'm running 265-70-16 Big Foot A/T's -- love the traction, but definitely not recommended if you put on a lot of highway miles. For my typical driving, I generally hit just over 16mpg in the Summer (16.16 and 16.27 on my last two tanks) and in the Winter I swing to both sides of 15 depending on how often I have to use 4WD. These numbers are almost exactly what I was seeing with the 3.42 gears.

Bigger tires have always been a consideration. I plan on getting a front lift made to level out the vehicle when I get some cash (lifting the whole thing isn't an option because I need to keep it in the garage, and my wife has back problems so it's already a bit of a strain for her to get in). Going up to 31.6" with the 265-75-16s would be great, I think those tires really fill in the wheel wells nicely. My only concern is that I would need wheel spacers, and while I do love the wider stance, I am concerned that if the tires stick out from the fenders, whether there will still be enough room to walk around the truck while in the garage. I may just have to take some measurements and try to figure out exactly where the spacers would make the wheels sit.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Trail X » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 pm

As long as you use stock wheels, your tires will likely still be within the body. Mine are.
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I actually decided to go take actual measurements to see where I'm at, and am a bit surprised by what I found...

My tires calculate to about 10.43" wide, but I don't have calipers to measure the actual size.

The front wheels are inside the fender by 3/8" (averaging the measurement from the front and rear to account for the wheel being slightly turned).

The rear wheels are inside the fender by 1-1/4"

That's quite a difference in stance between the front and rear! I suppose the rear fenders may be wider than the front, but it makes me wonder if this is the reason why the rear wheels always look smaller than the front ones? Unfortunately this also means that even if I found some 1.3" wheel spacers, the rear wheels would be fine but the front wheels would be hanging outside of the fender by an inch.

Now it makes me want to find some 7/8" spacers for the rear wheels, just to even it up. I wonder if it's possible to use a combination of a spacer plus longer lug bolts to make that happen safely? Has anyone measured the actual wheel stance at the front and rear to see if they are the same?
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Trail X » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Measure straight up from the center of both wheels. The body is narrower at the bottom than it is halfway up (or bottom of fender vs top of wheel well). That sounds off to me.
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 pm

I didn't describe myself correctly... When sitting on the ground, the bottom of the tire squishes out some. What I did was take a board straight up and down, about 6 inches left and right of the centerline, laying across the edge of the tires. So at 6" to the left, the edge of the front tire was 1/2" inside the fencer. At 6" to the right, the tire was 1/4" inside the fender... thus an average of 3/8" if the tire had been turned perfectly straight. Hope that makes more sense?
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Trail X » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Seems like a high difference to me too, especially considering it isn't lifted so your panhard should be level. Is it the same on both sides?
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 pm

I didn't measure on both sides, but just eyeballing it I can say there is the same obvious inset at the rear on both sides, so it's nothing as easy as the rear axle being offset.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by v7guy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:37 am

The only disadvantage of 4.10s is that they're not 4.56s
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Shdwdrgn » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:03 pm

I can't even imagine 4.56's with anything less than 32" wheels. When I had 3.42s I had the pcm4less tune with a #1 shift firmness, and I made some adjustments of my own from there. After changing over to the 4.10s I took it on the highway and punched it from a light... it broke the tires free through all three gear changes. I have actually dialed the pressure table back to stock now, and the shift speed table is at about 50% of stock. If you give the 4.2 a chance to put the power to the ground, it can really surprise you, and it's not too hard to make it undriveable for daily use. My drive to work includes merging onto one highway, and if the road is even a little damp and I get on the gas too hard now, the rear end will get squirrelly on me. I just have to train myself that the throttle is not simply an on/off switch... :)
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Moots1288 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:I can't even imagine 4.56's with anything less than 32" wheels. When I had 3.42s I had the pcm4less tune with a #1 shift firmness, and I made some adjustments of my own from there. After changing over to the 4.10s I took it on the highway and punched it from a light... it broke the tires free through all three gear changes. I have actually dialed the pressure table back to stock now, and the shift speed table is at about 50% of stock. If you give the 4.2 a chance to put the power to the ground, it can really surprise you, and it's not too hard to make it undriveable for daily use. My drive to work includes merging onto one highway, and if the road is even a little damp and I get on the gas too hard now, the rear end will get squirrelly on me. I just have to train myself that the throttle is not simply an on/off switch... :)

I can't imagine 4.56s with 32s

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 pm

You're right, I need bigger tires - but not for the aforementioned tire-beaking-loose issue.
Trail X
Founder

by v7guy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:09 pm

3:42s with 32s makes it a dog, you couldn't spin tires if you tried.

4:10s with 33s are decent, I'm not upset about it, but it's better with 4:56s. I never had traction issues with any of these setups and I've driven them all a fair amount on and offroad. Just gotta use that right pedal appropriately. I like more gear personally.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by navigator » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm actually debating staying with 32s when I re-gear. It is something I have to think about a little more.
I can fit a 32 in my standard spare location for daily driving, that is actually pretty nice. The 32s have worked really well everywhere I have been. The two hills I skipped on my recent trips was more due to lacking a locker than needing more tire. I have some time so no rush.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by ARC- » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:50 am

I think the 4.10s front and rear would be nice with the AWD! 255/55-18 on it now. (Another thread alerted me to my 8.6 rear diff) Is there a part # for the 8.6 4.10 rear and the front diff part #s ? please, thank you
97x 5.3 LH6 ŘWD
SPRING LIFT ONLY ON 33"
Z71 springs!
ARC-

Name: Tony
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD

by TBYODA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:57 am

You talking the 4.10 ring and pinion gears? Yea www.rockauto.com or some other place that sells them.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Return to Differentials / Axles