Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

DirtyBacon's front diff swap (pic heavy)

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Trail X » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Yeah Matt, I'm sorry I doubted you at first. I was about to go the oil pan way, and Moots texted me urging me to go through the top. It sounds like a lot of work, but I can definitely see it being easier than through the bottom, especially once I did it. The hardest part I had was getting to the bolt at the top back of the alternator. Not really enough room to swing a wrench. Maybe there's a secret to getting that bolt out.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Regulator1175 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Trail X wrote:Yeah Matt, I'm sorry I doubted you at first. I was about to go the oil pan way, and Moots texted me urging me to go through the top. It sounds like a lot of work, but I can definitely see it being easier than through the bottom, especially once I did it. The hardest part I had was getting to the bolt at the top back of the alternator. Not really enough room to swing a wrench. Maybe there's a secret to getting that bolt out.

Go through the wheel well with two feet of extensions and a universal adapter.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Moots1288 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Once the fan and shroud are out of the way working on those accessories are cake work
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 pm

I don't have a BL, I'm not sure I'd have the right angle on the rear-most top alt bolt. I'll have to give it a shot next time.

The 2' extensions were perfect, however, on the compressor bolts and the idler pulley assembly bolts.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Shdwdrgn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Oh god, the flashbacks! I think I'm still traumatized from doing mine...

I went out the bottom, pulling the whole diff intact. We spent three hours trying to figure out how to get the diff out around the engine, and then suddenly it practically fell out. Once we saw the angle, we could put it in and pull it out with no problem, it was just a matter of finding the right angle and twist.

@Bacon: Not sure if you've been following, but I have an HPT file with factory settings for 4.10's and 30.5" tires. Solved all my problems with speedo, odo, and abs system. Since we were both having the ABS problems last Fall, I thought I'd mention I finally found an answer.

@Eredin: I have to ask why you would go through all this trouble, and only go to 3.73's? Although obviously the 4.10's are getting harder to find, but a swap is a huge amount of work and expense that you don't want to have to repeat. If you run anything larger than stock tires and don't do a lot of interstate driving, the 4.10's handle great for normal driving. (Oh and they also do just fine @95mph on the interstate across three states, but you can't prove I did that!)
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Eredin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:
@Eredin: I have to ask why you would go through all this trouble, and only go to 3.73's? Although obviously the 4.10's are getting harder to find, but a swap is a huge amount of work and expense that you don't want to have to repeat. If you run anything larger than stock tires and don't do a lot of interstate driving, the 4.10's handle great for normal driving. (Oh and they also do just fine @95mph on the interstate across three states, but you can't prove I did that!)

I actually discussed this with a friend not longer after posting that and came to the same question. I do some moderate interstate driving, but not enough to matter in this case. I'll be keeping my eyes out for a set, I'm sure my trans would very much appreciate it.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb

by v7guy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 am

To be honest the 4.56s are fine on the highway with 33s, Moots said his mpg improved.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles