Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

bent rear axle ?

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by harvyne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:01 am

ok before i had started my envoy upgrade i noticed my drivers side left rear tire had excessive wear on the inner tread, i had rotated the tires often due to cupping and other wear issues from worn front end parts. After my last tire rotation and just prior to the new lift,struts,etc.etc. is when i noticed that one tire was bald only on the inner tread and still had good amount on the outer to center tread.
i put the rear end in the air and noticed that when spinning that drivers side rear has a slight wobble to it where the passenger side is perfectly straight. i double checked the wheel and it is seated properly on the hub. could this mean i have a bent axle?
i am watching my treadwear closely and not noticing any uneven wear but may be to early too tell.
the truck had a slight hop in the rear at slow speeds like a flat spot but not as rough, i have not had that with the new tires and suspension.
harvyne

Name: christian
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:59 am

I would also suspect a bent rim. Swap side to side and see.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by harvyne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Ill do that however i just had the tires installed and balanced so i would think the guy would have told me if one was bent . Thanks for the reply
harvyne

by bgwolfpack » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Tire guys usually catch tire problems, but if a weight came off you could see wear. If the tire has been on the rear for good while, it sounds like a delaminating tire.

You would know if you had a bent or warped axle or housing.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by harvyne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Tires been on two weeks now. No abnormal wear noticed. I would notice if the weights came off as the rims are painted so it would leave a bare spot. Ill check the rims friday when im off or sooner if possible .
Appreciate the feedback it helps
harvyne

Return to Differentials / Axles