Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Yet Another Bad Front Axle Disconnect

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by HawkTown28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

My truck has 90,000 on it. I bought it with 83,000 last July, so no way of telling when the disconnect started wearing and to be honest I never thought about inspecting it before this. Now I'm very careful when engaging 4wd...I do it at a slow roll now and turn the wheels back and forth a bit just to be sure it's engaged before applying to much gas. Even with the new unit in there is still a little play in the cv tripod, but from what I have read that's normal. Just for the heck of it i checked the driver side cv tripod last night and it seems to move a bit more than it should. So i don't know if there's much I can do about it or if I should try to replace the outer bearing and seal...any suggestions and/or if its a easy enough job to do. My biggest fear is having a front diff failure because of repair costs.

I was able to drill a couple small holes in the ring part of the housing stuck in the oil pan and then slowly step up until i had a chunk of it out. This relieved the pressure on the ring and it pretty much pulled right out, and I was able to do it without damaging the oil pan at all.
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies.
HawkTown28

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Opeth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Moots1288 wrote:I installed the AWD sleeve at about 90,000 and the inner and outer slipped right out of the pan as one unit.

I was at 87k with same success.... I had a little up and down play but everything was fine. Installed AWD sleeve, new thrust washers and outer seal.

I pulled mine off with my hands, was that easy.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Moots1288 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Opeth wrote:
Moots1288 wrote:I installed the AWD sleeve at about 90,000 and the inner and outer slipped right out of the pan as one unit.

I was at 87k with same success.... I had a little up and down play but everything was fine. Installed AWD sleeve, new thrust washers and outer seal.

I pulled mine off with my hands, was that easy.

I Did as well and replaced all bearings and seals.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by DustinC1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 am

Rebuilt mine at around 82k, I check it every time I change the oil. If (when) it gets rebuilt again its getting a AWD sleeve
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by mikekey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:44 am

I'm thinking I might rebuild mine now in April before TECORE, just because, with the AWD sleeve.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by mikekey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:10 pm

Shouldn't this thread technically be moved to the Axles section?
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles