Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

HELP!!! Front Disco & Axle Retaining Clip

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by flyme » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 pm

I think I may have screwed myself, but does anyone know if you can remove the AWD sleeve from the CV axle after the retaining clip locked in? I am working on my broken disco and was fitting the sleeve to see how it fit on the CV axle and pushed it too far in and heard clip and basically realized I probably just F'd myself. If anyone knows a trick that would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to cut it off with a saw and waste it.

I figure there is a way since looking at the AWD vehicle diagrams they have the same clip but maybe I just pushed it on too far. :wallbash:
flyme
Cruiser

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:01 pm

While I've never had to remove it the way your describing, I'm sure it's possible. I'm picturing the shaft in a vice. Try a pickle fork slid over the shaft so that you can tap the fork and hopefully the sleeve will come off. I'm not sure exactly how to make all that work, but I know you will likely need a sudden blow like a slide hammer to get it to pop out. Best of luck!
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by TangoBravo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Got a pic? I'm havin a hard time picturing what needs to be done as I have never messed with an awd setup.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004

by flyme » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Erik. This is the current situation:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382834284.077885.jpg

And it is stuck on this retaining ring, if you can see it:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382834325.058818.jpg

Now I went and got another CV axle and put the disco back together. Since my 4x4 wasn't working before I don't mind not having it for a few more days until I figure this out or get a more sleeve.

If anyone who has swapped to the sleeve reads this, can you tell me if you left the retaining ring on the CV axle or did you take it off? If you left it on, when you put the CV axle back in, did it click into place?

I am having a hard time imagining that it would click into place and lock on the AWD vehicles and then not be able to come off and replace any bearings in the disco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
flyme
Cruiser

by TangoBravo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Looks like I would use a pulley puller if I had that stuck on there, now this only works if it's a true sleeve and open on both ends.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert

by flyme » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it as it is a true sleeve. The only problem I could see is the retaining ring needing to be bent and that would be a lot of force.

Vehicle is working so no more of an emergency but if anyone has any insight I would like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
flyme
Cruiser

by Trail X » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 pm

The cv shafts are the exact same for awd and 4wd vehicles. It will take some toying with it to unseat the clip, but it certainly can be done. Do not remove the clip. That keeps your axle seated in the disconnect - otherwise it would quickly ride out. Drop some oil down in the open end of the sleeve to help lubricate the clip and splines, and then either use a bearing puller, as was recommended - or clamp one end into a vice, and hammer on the other one with a drift. I bet my pitman arm puller might even work.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 am

Solid advice all around. I'd put the Sleeve in a vice, somehow trying not to mar it up, and with a big ole drift/punch Drift the CV shaft out of the sleeve. Lube it up good first.

Or you could put the CV tripot in the vice, be less worried about marks, and drift the sleeve off. But in that case, Id be worried about damaging the edge of the sleeve. Not sure if that would really effect anything at the end of the day.

Or like others said, if you have access to a jaw, pitman, or wheel puller, that would probably work too. Either way, use lube.

And than on re-assembly once you got it all figured out, lube the spline of the CV shaft with grease or anti-seize so the CV is easier to pop out next time.

Good luck
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2002

by v7guy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 am

Lots of solid advice here, I'd be inclined to use some kind of impact to pop it loose. Much like when removing the CV a sharp impact compresses the clip and lets it pop out. A vice,a hammer and a drift/pipe/chunk of rod whatever should get the job done with no drama. As others mentioned, some oil or grease might help.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 am

I have a 3 jaw puller that would probably be perfect for getting it off. Got it a harbor freight for ~$15.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by flyme » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you everyone for the advise!!! This is why I love the ORTB group! Even if I haven't posted a lot, I still find a wealth of information on this site. Now time to get it off!
flyme
Cruiser

by SmokeyMcBlazer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 am

Put the whole unit in a vice then tie some rope around the end that you wanna pop off. Tie the other end to a sledgehammer and lightly but firmly swing the hammer away from the unit. When the rope comes tight, the clip should pop out. I've done this on stubbern atv axles to pop them out. Kinda looks like a similar thing you got going on.
Last edited by SmokeyMcBlazer on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmokeyMcBlazer
Off-Roader

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:50 am

Slide Hammer part #27033 $30
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... =2047_0_0_

CV shaft adapter for slide hammer. Part #27058 $20
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalo ... sApp=false

I can't gaurentee this is the trick, but I can gaurentee this is what I would try! If you've never used the Autozone Loan-A-Tool program it is simple. You pay the amount the tool is worth up front. Typically you're recieving a used tool. Use the tool, and return it for a full refund.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by flyme » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks Rob and Erik!
flyme
Cruiser