Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SAS SWAP planning .

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by v7guy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:18 am

I took it as neither. Our trucks when SAS'd (is that even a term?), with significantly bigger tires, is probably too heavy for a dana44 for any durability. It's compared to a 10 bolt on a fairly regular basis and even interchanges parts depending on the axle years... and I wouldn't call either (10 bolt or the 44) ok when you're talking 37+ on tires. If somebody is looking for some durability with the ability to upgrade tire size in the future they should really start looking at dana 60s and 14 bolts.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:58 am

Solid Axle Swapped...I would call that a term.

37s are pretty well the Dana 44 limit even with beefing up. Sleeves and gussets and trusses help but they are just not all that beefy.

Not many people realize that the 9.5 SS rear is about the equivalent in strength to a Dana 60, so you don't necessarily need to bump up to a FF 14 if you run one of them.

If you really want to go nuts there is lots of chatter about the Axletech 4000s. I am watching a couple builds that will be pretty impressive if they get done. They are seriously overkill for most, but add about 3 inches ground clearance over a FF 14 I think and can be found reasonably priced.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:10 am

I agree with both of you. I would probably look for a Dana 60 or equivalent for a SAS on a TB. Especially if your going to run tall tires, beat on it, or put major HP to it.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles