Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Stupid Differential Questions...

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by drburke » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:12 pm

I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to regear himself blindly (just kidding, I absolutely would).

If you don't specifically know what you're doing, I would have a shop pack it for ya.

...Unless you enjoy exploding rear ends.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Got a g80 question. The truck I drive at work is chevy 04 blazer it has a G80, confirmed from looking in glovebox. When in 2w I have notice that the locker does not seem engage when one tire spins. However when in 4w hi everything seems to works fine. Should not the locker engage any time?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 pm

TBYODA wrote:
dvanbramer88 wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:It's an option to those on a budget.

If you round up to $500, and I can do a 8.5 axle swap and a lock-right locker for the same price. The junkyards in my area get $150 for a complete axle assembly, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. They might charge a little extra if you take the brakes/control arms. And even on here I've seen people get the 8.5 axle for ~$100 bucks.

Lets call the LSD a mall crawler mod for wet traction. :happy whip:

I would jump at a $100 but are you talking pre 05? My TB is a 08 so as I understand it I need a 06 or newer. I have effort inside of me or I wouldn't even be post this. Just lack the knowledge or skills. If I can take something apart I can get it back together. The rear diff gears at my current skill level is another story. ;)

That would probably be 02-05. 06+ vehicles are rare in the junk yards around me. Let alone a TB with desirable gears.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 am

TBYODA wrote:Got a g80 question. The truck I drive at work is chevy 04 blazer it has a G80, confirmed from looking in glovebox. When in 2w I have notice that the locker does not seem engage when one tire spins. However when in 4w hi everything seems to works fine. Should not the locker engage any time?
In 4HI, what test are you doing to conclude that the locker is working? Trying to break loose a rear tire in gravel or sand and feeling it kick in?

A mechanical locker has no way of knowing it's in 2HI or 4HI. It just senses RPM difference between the sides. Perhaps in 4HI your front tires are pulling enough you aren't breaking the rear loose?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 am

drburke wrote:I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to regear himself blindly (just kidding, I absolutely would).

If you don't specifically know what you're doing, I would have a shop pack it for ya.

...Unless you enjoy exploding rear ends.

nah it's not bad, just takes patience. There's lots of guides online to get you through it.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TBYODA » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 am

The Roadie wrote: A mechanical locker has no way of knowing it's in 2HI or 4HI. It just senses RPM difference between the sides. Perhaps in 4HI your front tires are pulling enough you aren't breaking the rear loose?

I did not think it could just seemed at times it was not kicking in, maybe the tire spin was not at the needed rpm. As far as in 4HI just the way it was feels at low speed and turning maybe I am just feeling the front. You could be right about the front pulling. I need to do more tests and get back.

AT&T is real good about servicing everything on time per the manual however they have not done anything to date with front/diff or transfer case. Truck has close to 100k on it now and from what I have learned on this site way over due. Going to request service been done on them.
Last edited by TBYODA on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by The Roadie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:53 am

In 4HI, the transfer case is a good front-to-back locker. If you've seen my demo video of climbing a lumpy trail, when two wheels are intermittently off the ground and I'm teeter-tottering, you can see times when the rear locks up, and the FRONTS slow down their RPM.

If one of your fronts isn't breaking loose, there won't be enough RPM left to break loose one of the rears.

You will always get driveline binding at low speed. The locker isn't engaged, and some people think with an open front or rear diff this shouldn't happen, but it does because of the effective turning radii of the front and rear axles. I used to have to explain this all the time on Trailvoy, and this is one of my earliest Visio drawings for the platform.

The Roadie
Founder

by TBYODA » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Bill Thanks for taking the time to explain these nuance of our platform for the gazillion time.

Funny that you posted that power point. I did come accords it on your site and was trying to make sense out of it but was little difficult without the back ground discussion. The visual helps.

We're is that video you talk about, I did not see on your site roadie.org? I might have seen when poking around offroadtb.com just don't recall we're.

Thanks again.

TBYODA

by The Roadie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:13 pm

TBYODA wrote:We're is that video you talk about, I did not see on your site roadie.org?
My web site main pages are only there as fluff and stale images to throw folks off the scent of the good stuff. I use it mostly for image storage so I can change the images if I fall out of favor with the owners of a site like Trailvoy. GMTN and ORTB I don't have the same lack of trust with, for some reason. :coffee:

I thought everybody subscribed to my videos. Click the link in my signature: YOUTUBE VIDEOS. Perhaps Tapatalk users aren't seeing my signature?

I'm still embarrassed I used the name "trailvoy" when I put those up. Sigh.....I expect a copyright violation notice any day from Vertical Scope. When I do leave that Youtube account there is going to be one hell of a bridge-burning bonfire.

Anyway, go to my youtube account, and look for the one called "Elliot Hill Mine hillclimb". Watch it very closely. I didn't understand what was happening for quite a few viewings.
The Roadie
Founder

by The Roadie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:15 pm

TBYODA wrote:AT&T is real good about servicing everything on time per the manual
No they're not. :poke:
however they have not done anything to date with front/diff or transfer case. Truck has close to 100k on it now and from what I have learned on this site way over due. Going to request service been done on them.
They owe ya. :drive:
The Roadie
Founder

by TBYODA » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 pm

The Roadie wrote:
TBYODA wrote:We're is that video you talk about, I did not see on your site roadie.org?
. Perhaps Tapatalk users aren't seeing my signature?

Nope can't see it on Tapatalk. :hissyfit:

The Roadie wrote:
TBYODA wrote:AT&T is real good about servicing everything on time per the manual
No they're not. :poke:

I know, I know .... an billion dollar company and they cheap out on some things. :wallbash:

TBYODA

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles