Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Everybody who's got the PowerTrax No Slip, Please chime in.

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by BWGuy » Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello all. I just installed the PowerTrax No Slip in my 2005 Ext, and I'm looking for opinons/reports from others who have the same.

Install was super easy, no problems there.

My initial impression is that this hardware make the unlocked condition the exception rather than the rule, which is opposite the G80.

I've only had all four in the mud one time so far since the install, but the tendency to push the vehicle in a straight line regardless of front wheel direction was pretty striking, even with hardly any throttle. This begs the question, are we supposed to overpower both back wheels in situations like this if we want to make a sharp-ish turn?

Also, the "clunk" noise and jolt to the driveline when the unit disengages is a little louder and stronger than I was expecting. Is this typical for a new install? Will it soften with break in?

Thanks again for any and all feedback.
BWGuy

Name: Matt Allbert
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by fishsticks » Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 pm

BWGuy wrote:My initial impression is that this hardware make the unlocked condition the exception rather than the rule, which is opposite the G80.

Correct.

I've only had all four in the mud one time so far since the install, but the tendency to push the vehicle in a straight line regardless of front wheel direction was pretty striking, even with hardly any throttle. This begs the question, are we supposed to overpower both back wheels in situations like this if we want to make a sharp-ish turn?

That's an effect of having more traction on the rear than the front. Using the skinny pedal to induce oversteer is one solution.

Also, the "clunk" noise and jolt to the driveline when the unit disengages is a little louder and stronger than I was expecting. Is this typical for a new install? Will it soften with break in?

Thanks again for any and all feedback.

It depends on your driving style. Mine was all but unnoticeable except on wet pavement or if the axle was suddenly loaded up. You'll get used to it.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Diacom » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am

If you think that was exciting, wait till you hit ice on the interstate.

Mine has worked flawlessly with only slight dragging on a tire during semi to tight turns on asphalt that I really notice. Except...

After running my first time at DTC, heading home and having stopped to fuel up, made a left hand turn from a stop light and did not move. I heard a buzz of what sounded like the teeth slipping past each other quickly, then a bang when they caught. I turned around and made the same turn over and over again but it did not repeat itself, nor has it since.

To be fair, I probably had less than 250 miles on mine when this happened and had put it through some work during DTC.

I pulled the cover when I got home and did not see anything unusual, so I added fresh gear oil and haven't worried about it since. Made the same trip a year later and no repeat performance.

But like I said about ice on the interstate....
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Gordinho80 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 am

I've had my 8.6" rear for a year now. Wife was driving it during the winter, so I can't review how it performed then. I also haven't taken it offroad. Previous owner of the axle did and he loved it. I get the occasional clunk when it disengages, but its not terrible.

But alas, as I've not taken it off pavement for anything more than a dirt road, my opinion is only marginally valid.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BWGuy » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm a couple days into driving mine back and forth to work, and I'd echo that these are virtually unnoticeable on the highway.

I gotta say... I do LOVE how I can pull off onto a soft grassy shoulder now and then power away back onto the pavement without slipping the passenger side tire. I did it while towing a trailer up a hill yesterday to show off to my brother in law. I'm not sure he appreciated the fact that there was ZERO slippage of the low traction wheel before we started moving.

I also think I'm going to like being able to slide the rear at will in the mud or snow. Between 4HI and being able to start in 2nd gear, I think it should be easy enough NOT to do this when I don't want to, but being able to when I do seems like it might be fun and even handy at times.
BWGuy

Name: Matt Allbert
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Differentials / Axles