Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Another Gear Ratio Thread...

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 am

What I want to know is, WHERE are you guys finding a front diff with 4.10 gears? I've been looking for a couple months, and have not been able to find one anywhere. I want to swap mine for towing capacity, but finding the front gears is holding me back.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Shdwdrgn wrote:What I want to know is, WHERE are you guys finding a front diff with 4.10 gears? I've been looking for a couple months, and have not been able to find one anywhere. I want to swap mine for towing capacity, but finding the front gears is holding me back.

Front diffs are really easy to regear. If you manage to get the thing out you've done the hardest part already. After that you set it on the bench and fiddle with it until it's right. No carrier shims, just screw adjusters. You can probably resuse your pinion shims and be close enough to get a good pattern.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Shdwdrgn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:44 am

@fishsticks - you should write up a detailed how-to for us newbs! :) I mean, I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on mechanical things, but I've never disassembled a differential before, let alone work on the front end of a 4x4. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there, but haven't really seen a complete how-to. I'll probably have to tear down the front this Summer anyway -- think I've got a spline disconnect problem, and the front wasn't engaging during the last snowstorm -- and if I'm going to be that far into it anyway, it would be nice to just go one more step and get my gears replaced too.

Is there a good source to get just the gears? I haven't even bee able to find that, but I'm also not sure if I just need the ring and pinion gears, or if there's anything else that should also be purchased to complete the job?
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by mikekey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am

I second that motion. I've never done gears. I'm tempted to try it myself. But I also don't want a repeat of my wonderful shift kit failure.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Cable810 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm

I third that motion!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by JorDaneeKey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

I'll throw in a PLEASE!!!
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

by tlouck » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:04 am

The 4.10 is a bit harder to come by, lots and lots of GT4 3.73's , however I found the rear assy at car-parts.com, I check a number of other national used part search engines and entered my contact info and within 24 hr had 4 e-mails and 3 phone calls. from recyclers with both front and rear 8.6" 4.10. most wanted to sell me the GT5 with the G80 which of course is more expensive. however I am pretty set on a open diff so I can put in my own aftermarket locker. I found a 4.10 GT5 grade A for 350.00. and a similar price for the front assembly. Any suggestions on after market lockers, growing up as a kid I always heard Detroit Lockers were pretty bullet proof. One other Idea I have been tossing around is getting rid of the IFS in favor of a solid axle. anyone researched this?
tlouck
Cruiser

Name: Tom Louck
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JorDaneeKey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

tlouck wrote:One other Idea I have been tossing around is getting rid of the IFS in favor of a solid axle. anyone researched this?

Lol. Have you looked around the site?
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

by Cable810 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:13 am

3 people have done this and they have build Threads. One hasn't updated his sicne he SAS :poke:
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb

by Moots1288 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:34 pm

tlouck wrote:The 4.10 is a bit harder to come by, lots and lots of GT4 3.73's , however I found the rear assy at car-parts.com, I check a number of other national used part search engines and entered my contact info and within 24 hr had 4 e-mails and 3 phone calls. from recyclers with both front and rear 8.6" 4.10. most wanted to sell me the GT5 with the G80 which of course is more expensive. however I am pretty set on a open diff so I can put in my own aftermarket locker. I found a 4.10 GT5 grade A for 350.00. and a similar price for the front assembly. Any suggestions on after market lockers, growing up as a kid I always heard Detroit Lockers were pretty bullet proof. One other Idea I have been tossing around is getting rid of the IFS in favor of a solid axle. anyone researched this?

Have you scrolled down on the front page?
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mikekey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 pm

SAS SWAP = $$$$$ + TIME

From each of the 3 I've seen in the build threads, they look more like toys than daily drivers. If you're going for hard core rock crawler, go for it.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm not much of a rock crawler, and this is in fact my daily driver... However I have slightly oversized tires and 3.42 gears, and 90% of my driving is at 55 or lower, so I believe the gear swap would actually improve my overall mileage.

The main reason I'm considering the gears, though, is my other hobby... I have a trebuchet that sits on on 20' trailer. Total trailer weight can run anywhere up to 5500 pounds. I have to tow this beast up the mountains to Estes Park, and let me tell you, it really puts a strain on my engine. Since my driving speed typically tops out at 35-40 during this trip, I'm actually considering trying to make the run in 4LO this year and see how that works out.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:@fishsticks - you should write up a detailed how-to for us newbs! :) I mean, I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on mechanical things, but I've never disassembled a differential before, let alone work on the front end of a 4x4. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there, but haven't really seen a complete how-to. I'll probably have to tear down the front this Summer anyway -- think I've got a spline disconnect problem, and the front wasn't engaging during the last snowstorm -- and if I'm going to be that far into it anyway, it would be nice to just go one more step and get my gears replaced too.

Is there a good source to get just the gears? I haven't even bee able to find that, but I'm also not sure if I just need the ring and pinion gears, or if there's anything else that should also be purchased to complete the job?
mikekey wrote:I second that motion. I've never done gears. I'm tempted to try it myself. But I also don't want a repeat of my wonderful shift kit failure.
Cable810 wrote:I third that motion!
JorDaneeKey wrote:I'll throw in a PLEASE!!!

I don't have much in the way of pictures. But I could probably give a pretty good synopsis from memory.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Wahugg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 pm

4 Low would not be a good idea, even if you dis-connected the front drive shaft. You would be pushing 4-6k revs in 3rd of 4th gear @ 55mph. Those hi revs for an extended period of time would waste gas and possibly overheat your engine and or transmission.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Wahugg wrote:4 Low would not be a good idea, even if you dis-connected the front drive shaft. You would be pushing 4-6k revs in 3rd of 4th gear @ 55mph. Those hi revs for an extended period of time would waste gas and possibly overheat your engine and or transmission.

-Wahugg

Top speed would be around 35-40mph, not 55. From what I can tell, I'd only be hitting 2800rpm at 40mph. Also, when towing a 5500-pound trailer, gas mileage is not at the top of my concerns. :mrgreen:

I recently got HPTuners.. I may have to run the scanner during the trip and monitor engine and transmission temps, then switch to 4Lo and see if there is any improvement.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I personally wouldn't run my truck in 4lo on the street. It's terrible for the drive-train to drive on pavement in any 4x4 gear range.

Now if you wanted to drop the front drive shaft that may work. But I still feel like the rpms would still be a little high. Give it a shot though and see what you find.

FWIW
They sell a kit for my truck to replace the automatic front electronic actuator with a manual cable driven device. And one of the things they advertise is, is the ability to use 4lo and not lock the front axle for towing and other high torque situations where you need the torque but can't have the front locked in.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by mikekey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 pm

fishsticks wrote:
Shdwdrgn wrote:@fishsticks - you should write up a detailed how-to for us newbs! :) I mean, I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on mechanical things, but I've never disassembled a differential before, let alone work on the front end of a 4x4. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there, but haven't really seen a complete how-to. I'll probably have to tear down the front this Summer anyway -- think I've got a spline disconnect problem, and the front wasn't engaging during the last snowstorm -- and if I'm going to be that far into it anyway, it would be nice to just go one more step and get my gears replaced too.

mikekey wrote:I second that motion. I've never done gears. I'm tempted to try it myself. But I also don't want a repeat of my wonderful shift kit failure.
Cable810 wrote:I third that motion!
JorDaneeKey wrote:I'll throw in a PLEASE!!!

I don't have much in the way of pictures. But I could probably give a pretty good synopsis from memory.

You write it, when I do mine, I'll use your directions and recombine with photos. :cheers:
mikekey
Lifer

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles