Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Lockers/axels/ratios Point me in the right direction?

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by fishsticks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:43 pm

There's actually an in cab video of me breaking it on here somewhere. Stock tune with full torque management and only part throttle. It was a case of rapid load-unload that got it... and sometimes you can't avoid that.

For other reading this: I'm not saying to go throw your G80 in the trash because it's going to explode tomorrow. What I'm trying to say is that if you're to the point where you feel you need to upgrade the strength of your axle, choose carefully. In my own informed, biased and loudmouth opinion, an 8.6" G80 is the wrong direction.

Obviously there are folks who disagree with me... and that's fine.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

fishsticks wrote:There's actually an in cab video of me breaking it on here somewhere. Stock tune with full torque management and only part throttle. It was a case of rapid load-unload that got it... and sometimes you can't avoid that.

For other reading this: I'm not saying to go throw your G80 in the trash because it's going to explode tomorrow. What I'm trying to say is that if you're to the point where you feel you need to upgrade the strength of your axle, choose carefully. In my own informed, biased and loudmouth opinion, an 8.6" G80 is the wrong direction.

Obviously there are folks who disagree with me... and that's fine.

Yeah, the load/unload/load is what tears up axles and stuff, as well... Likely, if it didn't have the G80 as a "fuse" it could have broken an axle, instead...

I would say that if you're trying to spend the absolute least amount of money for an upgrade, an 8.6 G80 is better than what you've got... However, if you want to spend a couple hundred extra, you can get an open 8.6 and a lunchbox as a better option... If you want to go full boat, and have the money to spend, you can get any 8.6 and put a Detriot or an ARB in it...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:33 pm

bartonmd wrote:Only one side gets clutched to the carrier, so I think the spider gears do transfer load from the side gear that's locked to the carrier to the other one that's not... If you've broken spider gears, you weren't engaging it softly enough for your setup, and the conditions.

On the G80, both sides get clutched. The ramps are on one side, but when it ramps, it activates the clutches on both sides. The torsional forces are transmitted from the ring gear, to the housing, through the clutches on both sides, and directly to the side gears, although Donny may be right, I can see the clutches on each side could possibly work together if the passenger wheel slips the clutches a bit a loads the spider gears, therefore gaining the clutch friction aid from the driver's side. Interesting.

It seems the takeaway is that there really is no single correct view here. It seems to depend on your mission.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bartonmd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:31 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
bartonmd wrote:Only one side gets clutched to the carrier, so I think the spider gears do transfer load from the side gear that's locked to the carrier to the other one that's not... If you've broken spider gears, you weren't engaging it softly enough for your setup, and the conditions.

On the G80, both sides get clutched. The ramps are on one side, but when it ramps, it activates the clutches on both sides. The torsional forces are transmitted from the ring gear, to the housing, through the clutches on both sides, and directly to the side gears, although Donny may be right, I can see the clutches on each side could possibly work together if the passenger wheel slips the clutches a bit a loads the spider gears, therefore gaining the clutch friction aid from the driver's side. Interesting.

It seems the takeaway is that there really is no single correct view here. It seems to depend on your mission.

You're right. Since they only show one side on the "how it works" youtube vids, I had assumed that it had a ramp on both sides, but after looking for it in the couple seconds they show the whole thing, the ramp is only on one side, and it does actuate both...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by navigator » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 pm

snowmirage, if you have the traction control like I do, you have to turn it off or you won';t hardly move in the mud.
The button is on the shifter, you hold it for like 10-15 seconds and a dash light will flash and then stay solid.

I tried to ride through a muddy field one time and mine would't hardly go, it kept braking and such, I just turn it off now when I am going to offroad.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by snowmirage » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Ya no traction control on mine thanksfully :lol: , I dont think it was an option on the 2003's if I recall correctly.
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003

by fishsticks » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 am

snowmirage wrote:Ya no traction control on mine thanksfully :lol: , I dont think it was an option on the 2003's if I recall correctly.

True, you will however discover the wonderful torque management that happens in reverse gear on our trucks if you manage to bury yourself. Ask me how I know. :)
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Itsmytime9110 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:54 pm

I know this is a dead thread, but I'm having a hard time finding an 8.6 rear end. What are your opinions on a 8.0 LSD?
Itsmytime9110
Cruiser

Name: Josh

by mason10198 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:07 pm

Wait, do we have that option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason

by Itsmytime9110 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 pm

I think so, but I'm pretty new to all this....
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-09-02-12-26-56.png
Itsmytime9110
Cruiser

Name: Josh

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Itsmytime9110 wrote:I know this is a dead thread, but I'm having a hard time finding an 8.6 rear end. What are your opinions on a 8.0 LSD?

Look on www.car-part.com pick trailblazer EXT
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles