Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Eaton G-80 video

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by bobbyblaze » Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Thought this was a cool video on how the Eaton G-80 works.
I miss mine :cry:
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Been posted before... but good demonstration.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bobbyblaze » Sun May 15, 2011 11:12 pm

I should have known. Didn't see it.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb

by chevycrew » Sun May 15, 2011 11:33 pm

I"m surprised to see all the praise of the g-80 among the TB owners. I have always known it as the gov-bomb... cuz eventually, get a spot of high wheel speed, it locks in, and BOOM!
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by fishsticks » Sun May 15, 2011 11:44 pm

chevycrew wrote:I"m surprised to see all the praise of the g-80 among the TB owners. I have always known it as the gov-bomb... cuz eventually, get a spot of high wheel speed, it locks in, and BOOM!

The G80 is all most of these folks can get with the oddball 8". I guess it's better than nothing.

My G80 did this trying to scramble up a rock:

Now I'll never own another G80.
fishsticks

by bartonmd » Mon May 16, 2011 6:47 am

chevycrew wrote:I"m surprised to see all the praise of the g-80 among the TB owners. I have always known it as the gov-bomb... cuz eventually, get a spot of high wheel speed, it locks in, and BOOM!

What Fishsticks said... There is now an 8.0 limited slip on the aftermarket, but the Eaton G80 is the best thing that is available without a differential swap... A limited slip works exactly the opposite of how you want a diff to work off road... Acts like an open differential with 1 wheel in the air, and scuffs tires on dry pavement, under load...

Having said that, I've only heard of 2 of them grenading... Fishsticks' and The Roadie's, and it was actually Bill's carrier that exploded because he was "helping" his maxed out winch in 4LO pull a van out of the snow, with a bent axle housing...

The G80 is actually pretty durable if you drive like you have one... Turn the tire WITHOUT impunity until it locks, then you can pretty much do whatever you want... The real deal is also that it's really sized for the stock size and type of tire, so when you go bigger than that, you are pretty much automatically outside the design specification, and what happens, happens... It's also a "real locker" when needed (100% torque to 1 wheel), and a complete open differential on the street, that doesn't scuff tires or get out of shape going around corners in the snow, or push the front end when you're trying to turn in the snow (my truck does this).

Yes, if you drive like the Pirate guys that grenade 14 bolt Detriots and chromo shafts in 2800# vehicles, then yes, the G80 is horribly weak and going to grenade if you look at it funny...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by chevycrew » Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

Hey now, I drive like that! :poke:

There is a reason I went to 1 tons, and am worried about the stock dana 60 front shafts...

That being said, I intentionally put rear axles with G-80s in both of the other trucks. It was cheaper to get a wrecking yard axle with the g-80, than without.

But those are full float 14 bolts, with 37's, and 40's. One of ours wont lock in offroad till the wheel speed is back down, (spinning up a gravel hill, grab the brakes it locks in, then up you go.)
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve

by bartonmd » Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 pm

chevycrew wrote:Hey now, I drive like that! :poke:

There is a reason I went to 1 tons, and am worried about the stock dana 60 front shafts...

That being said, I intentionally put rear axles with G-80s in both of the other trucks. It was cheaper to get a wrecking yard axle with the g-80, than without.

But those are full float 14 bolts, with 37's, and 40's. One of ours wont lock in offroad till the wheel speed is back down, (spinning up a gravel hill, grab the brakes it locks in, then up you go.)

Yeah, I... don't drive like that... The stock drivetrain stayed alive in my S-10 for a lot of wheeling, in HS... I grew up driving with a family full of powertrain Engineers, and everything I did on the grandparents' tree farm, on the tractor, 3-wheeler, or trucks, I got the whole "_________ is hard on _________, and ______________ is why" drilled into my head... That's not to say that I don't beat on stuff, but I at least try and beat on stuff in such a way so as to not break hard parts... Watching the videos on Pirate, I swear some of these guys are either clueless about what breaks stuff, or are literally TRYING to break stuff because they like spending $4k every weekend rebuilding their entire front end...

Yeah, one of the safety things on them is that they won't engage above 20-25mph or something... If you spin is up slower, it may lock for you before you get it going fast...

Mike
bartonmd

by KE7WOX » Mon May 16, 2011 12:46 pm

chevycrew wrote:Hey now, I drive like that! :poke:

Good thing you didn't go with a 35 then
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by The Roadie » Mon May 16, 2011 1:33 pm

chevycrew wrote:...get a spot of high wheel speed, it locks in, and BOOM!
I always engage mine at low speed and with a careful foot. THEN apply throttle. Letting the spinning tire build up a lot of momentum is driving with impatience, IMHO.

I did this by locking up, THEN using full throttle in 4LO while pulling a stuck van out of deep snow. Dumb rescue attempt. But I stalled my 9000 pound winch earlier, and got too impatient to try rigging a snatch block to double the force.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by SteveTB03 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Weren't you also pulling the van in reverse whenbthe rear blew?
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by fishsticks » Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:Weren't you also pulling the van in reverse whenbthe rear blew?

Reverse doesn't matter so much to the G80 as it does to the ring and pinion. You're applying a lot of pressure to the coast side of the gears when pulling backwards.

The G80 engages the same either way.
fishsticks

by bartonmd » Mon May 16, 2011 4:47 pm

fishsticks wrote:
SteveTB03 wrote:Weren't you also pulling the van in reverse whenbthe rear blew?

Reverse doesn't matter so much to the G80 as it does to the ring and pinion. You're applying a lot of pressure to the coast side of the gears when pulling backwards.

The G80 engages the same either way.

Correct.

I think Bill's problem had as much to do with the bend axle housing/tubes putting added stress on the side gears, as it did the torque that was flowing through it... This wasn't a locker failure, but a carrier failure. Having said that, there's no arguing that the G80 carrier, being hogged out more for the extra componentry, is a bit weaker than the open carrier...

Mike
bartonmd

by SteveTB03 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Oh ok I always heard Its not good to pull anybody out in reverse as things could explode on you.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by DZPearl » Mon May 16, 2011 4:51 pm

I had one blow out too shortly after Roadie's. Mine happened on the highway during a hard freeze in the winter. I hit a raised expansion joint on the highway at about 40-45MPH. No idea what caused it other than the impact an vibration.

DZPearl
Cruiser

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:Oh ok I always heard Its not good to pull anybody out in reverse as things could explode on you.

Actually, it's the opposite, generally... The rear axle is almost always stronger than the front, and the front is almost always powering the coast side of the gear (going forward)... In fact, a guy that I went to Purdue with had an internship at Dana, and he told me that because of this, if you're going to pull somebody in 4WD (and the front end weighs more than the rear. i.e. unloaded truck or TB), do it in reverse, so you are on the drive side of the weak front end, and the coast side of the stronger rear end...

Mike
bartonmd

by fishsticks » Mon May 16, 2011 5:36 pm

bartonmd wrote:
SteveTB03 wrote:Oh ok I always heard Its not good to pull anybody out in reverse as things could explode on you.

Actually, it's the opposite, generally... The rear axle is almost always stronger than the front, and the front is almost always powering the coast side of the gear (going forward)... In fact, a guy that I went to Purdue with had an internship at Dana, and he told me that because of this, if you're going to pull somebody in 4WD (and the front end weighs more than the rear. i.e. unloaded truck or TB), do it in reverse, so you are on the drive side of the weak front end, and the coast side of the stronger rear end...

Mike

We have reverse cut ring/pinion gears however, so for 360's that is not true.
fishsticks

by bartonmd » Mon May 16, 2011 8:46 pm

fishsticks wrote:
bartonmd wrote:

Mike

We have reverse cut ring/pinion gears however, so for 360's that is not true.

We don't power the front gears on the coast side while moving forward??? Seems like we would, given the AWD vehicles in this platform...

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 pm

bartonmd wrote:We don't power the front gears on the coast side while moving forward??? Seems like we would, given the AWD vehicles in this platform...

Mike

You're saying because the front axle is normally driven backwards by the wheels that they reverse the angle of the gear teeth?

In a way that makes sense, but at the same time, there's very little forces being generated from back-powering your front driveshaft. Which begs the question - why would they reverse the front gears?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by fishsticks » Wed May 18, 2011 2:36 am

JamesDowning wrote: Which begs the question - why would they reverse the front gears?

Strength. The 7.2" probably doesn't have much extra room in terms of durability. Best to keep forward power on the drive side of the gears.
fishsticks

Next

Return to Differentials / Axles