Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

powertrax no slip question

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by steveroche » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:42 pm

well i started talking about this in the classifieds but it got a little too detailed to continue asking stuff about doing an axle swap/ putting in a rear locker. So i was just looking around on ebay for the Powertrax No-Slip which was recommended to me by a couple guys. When looking at the list of stuff on ebay it was giving me the option of different spline counts, bolt counts and different sizes, 8.2 or 8.6... me being pretty new to working on axles i am not sure which one will fit for me. I have a 2003 Trailblazer LT with a 3.42 GU6 rear axle. I know it probably sounds like a dumb question to some of you guys but i couldn't find any info on how to go about finding this out.
thanks for any input...
steveroche
Addict

Name: Steve Roche
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by janesy86 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:52 pm

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-a ... +30+Spline

Cheapest place I found it... But looks like it went up a little bit since I got mine. Btw part # is listed in a few threads if you searched.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:49 pm

You need to swap to an 8.6" 10 bolt rear end from an EXT before you buy that. It won't fit the 8" you currently have.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by steveroche » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Got it, thanks guys. That cleared up any confusion i had.
:scratch:
steveroche
Addict

by janesy86 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 am

fishsticks wrote:You need to swap to an 8.6" 10 bolt rear end from an EXT before you buy that. It won't fit the 8" you currently have.

Exactly. And yea I didn't feel like I had to mention that since I said it like 5 times in his thread in the classifieds section...
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by steveroche » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18 am

Sorry, i thought you meant that if i was going to do an axle swap then i should go with the 8.6 from the EXT. I was just checking this time to see if i could fit the locker without the axle swap. I just didn't read well enough, my bad. But thanks no more axle swap questions from me haha.
steveroche
Addict

by janesy86 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:54 am

Yep, really nothing for a locker in the stock GM 8", which is in most SWB trailblazers, except for the V8. The V8 has the same GM 8.6" that the Ext trailblazers have.

Plently of options for the GM 8.6", but the G80 is really the only locker for the axle you have now.

So either way if your serious about doing an axle swap, just go for the stronger 8.6" from the Ext trailblazer. It'll bolt right up no problem.

But like I said in the other post, get a rear with your current gear ratio unless your planning on swapping the front. And if you want to go with G80, just get the axle already with it.

Or if you want to go aftermarket get an open diff, so the instalation of the locker is easier. And like I also said, besides the Powertrax No-slip, the other lockers have a bit more of an install. The No-slip is as easy as it can get for a locker install...

Hope that helps clear it all up.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by steveroche » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 am

Crystal Clear, I found a few options on car-part.com near me, I will do the Powertrax no-slip for sure. I would rather pay a little extra for a part i know is going to be more reliable and last longer.
steveroche
Addict

by Diacom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Here's another source for the locker, near the same price, currently out of stock so by the time you pay a drop shipping charge it would be the same, or wait for it to be back in stock and get it for the lower cost... http://www.autopartsdealer.com/powertrax_noslip_traction_systems-p394631-p.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=cp50&utm_content=rank1
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Differentials / Axles