Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

LockRight Front Locker Installed

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by fishsticks » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 pm

plaen wrote:I've been following this thread for a few months now, and I believe I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting one. Fish with the size tires your run, if there was a problem with it, it probably would of shown up by now.

I have broken everything thing else in the front end BUT the diff. The LR holds up to abuse well.

DirtyBacon04 wrote:How does this product work with the different gear ratios? Do you specify what ratio you want when ordering the product? Is it universal? Does the gear ratio have nothing to do with this and I'm sounding like a noob jackass?
THANKS!

You buy a LR for a specific carrier size (7.25, 8.6). Gears are irrelevant.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Jon A » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 am

Sorry for being absent so long guys, too many boards to keep up with....

Anyway, the locker has been working perfectly all this time. I can't imagine not having it. I've spent a fair amount of time in nasty mud and a ton of time with it in snow--both on and off road--and the difference in traction is something I just wouldn't want to be without. It makes a huge difference.

That's for offroad (or low speed roads), for snowy/icy highways it is more of a hindrance than a help. It's not as bad as many say (using it at highway speeds is suicide!), but it does require you to be on the ball a bit more. If you're mainly concerned with highway use, the benefits of the extra traction really aren't needed so it's not worth the trouble. But for offroad use it rules.

Durability-wise, it has been perfect. I haven't had to touch a thing in the front end (except lower control arm bushings, but that's completely unrelated) since I put it in--though pretty much everything had been recently replaced when I did so. When I put it in, I think many just expected that aluminum case to explode the first time a front wheel ran into any resistance. I think we can all say now that's just not likely to happen. I think we all owe Fishsticks a debt of gratitude for really testing the strength of all the parts in the front end. And the results of that is the front diff, even with the locker, is probably the strongest part in the whole front end.

Some other things I did that I think have kept me from breaking anything else:

When setting up my lift for the last time, I did lengthen the shock shaft with washers. But I did it several times meticulously identifying the exact point at which the halfshaft would bind and shortened a washer or two from there ensuring it never would. I also have always run with the front swaybar in place. This means when you pull one front it will not go to full droop--about the only time you can do that is when both fronts are in the air (jumping!). I don't care what the obstacle is, if the goal is to get over it I'd much rather have a locker with the bar attached than a little bit more articulation without a locker--no contest.

Don't get me wrong, while I do beat on it pretty hard offroad, I haven't done the extremely rough rock/crawling/jumping the Fishsticks has done. I can't guarantee I wouldn't have broken anything doing that. Even in lesser situations, I really do try and limit the sum of steering angle and throttle. I am planning to do the HD tierod upgrade as soon as I get a chance (thanks again to Fishsticks!) as I think they're probably the biggest liability.

In short, I'm extremely glad I did the modification and would highly recommend it to anybody to spends much time going through difficult stuff offroad.
Jon A

Name: Jon Aadland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 am

Stay away from 35s and you'll be golden. I didn't break a thing until I went there.
fishsticks

by Jon A » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 am

Yeah, I plan to stick with the 33's for the foreseeable future. I should have mentioned that.
Jon A

Name: Jon Aadland
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Moots1288 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm

I guess I'm next to attempt, I will be almost definitely sticking with 33's as well so we will see how it goes.

8-)
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by AlekG » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 pm

This is on my radar as well for this summer after I take the overlander out of storage.

And I guess I'm "lucky" as I couldn't go above 33's if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get into my garage :-/

Definitely kills the temptation to go higher ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|| Documenting and sharing overland travels ||
|| adventures and expeditions ||
|| Trailblazer modifications ||
AlekG
Off-Roader

Name: Alek

by Moots1288 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:41 pm

AlekG wrote:This is on my radar as well for this summer after I take the overlander out of storage.

And I guess I'm "lucky" as I couldn't go above 33's if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get into my garage :-/

Definitely kills the temptation to go higher ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be alright. Can't wait to get this installed.

Throw some 35's and air down and you should be alright :D
Moots1288
Veteran

by Aries » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Moots1288 wrote:I guess I'm next to attempt, I will be almost definitely sticking with 33's as well so we will see how it goes.

Since I won't be able to install my re-geared front 7.25 IFS until the end of Feb or into March I've really been debating Image about dropping one in
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David

by Moots1288 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Aries wrote:
Moots1288 wrote:I guess I'm next to attempt, I will be almost definitely sticking with 33's as well so we will see how it goes.

Since I won't be able to install my re-geared front 7.25 IFS until the end of Feb or into March I've really been debating Image about dropping one in

It all depends on your travels. If you're going to be crawling rocks then think about it. But if youre going to cruising on some trails its not much of a help to ya. Would be awesome though!
Moots1288
Veteran

by fishsticks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm

I've long believed that 33s and a front locker are the sweet spot for capability vs durability. Should be interesting to see if that's correct.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
fishsticks

by Moots1288 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

fishsticks wrote:I've long believed that 33s and a front locker are the sweet spot for capability vs durability. Should be interesting to see if that's correct.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

You will have your answer soon. Im waiting for my rear axle to get delivered.
Moots1288
Veteran

by boog2006 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Best price I'm seeing right now is $513.95. Is that about right?

I'm really itching to pull the trigger on this. The wheeling I've done so far this would have helped more than tires and additional lift.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent

by Moots1288 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 pm

boog2006 wrote:Best price I'm seeing right now is $513.95. Is that about right?

I'm really itching to pull the trigger on this. The wheeling I've done so far this would have helped more than tires and additional lift.
You also need to call because most places that say they have them in stock don't. Same goes for 456 gears for the front diff. If I didnt get the one for 400$ I wouldnt have gotten it.
Moots1288
Veteran

by navigator » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:08 pm

I was shopping last fall and according to Rocky Road, Powertrax sold out to someone else were not manuf any new inventory.
My understanding is after the first of the year that it would pick back up.
At the time Randy's R&P had the 1935 for the front for just under $500 with a few left in stock.
Rocky Road had the no-slip for the rear for about $450.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Moots1288 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:15 pm

navigator wrote:I was shopping last fall and according to Rocky Road, Powertrax sold out to someone else were not manuf any new inventory.
My understanding is after the first of the year that it would pick back up.
At the time Randy's R&P had the 1935 for the front for just under $500 with a few left in stock.
Rocky Road had the no-slip for the rear for about $450.
The stock quantity on sites is misleading information you have to call. I believed it for the front locker and gears and had to cancel cause multiple places had 10-15 in stock but reality they had zero and are back ordered.. with no eta.
Moots1288
Veteran

by navigator » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 pm

for front, I called everyone I could think of or google for and Randy's was the only one who had any in stock.
I think that was late October though
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Moots1288 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

navigator wrote:for front, I called everyone I could think of or google for and Randy's was the only one who had any in stock.
I think that was late October though
Well now.. I dont think they have unless they lied to me haha
Moots1288
Veteran

by navigator » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:15 pm

so Boog, did you confirm the vendor had one or are you getting a price off of a website. It would be interesting to know what vendors had some confirmed in stock.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by boog2006 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm

I have not called around yet. Lowest website price I found was! $423 at Summit I think.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent

by Moots1288 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:39 pm

boog2006 wrote:I have not called around yet. Lowest website price I found was! $423 at Summit I think.
Summit is it out of stock
Moots1288
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Differentials / Axles