Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

nonG80 to G80 swap

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by TangoBravo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:11 am

So I need so help here, my TB did not come with the G80 and I have a local salvage yard here that has a few and they are very cheap, so my question is can I just remove the locker as a unit and install in my rear or do I need to swap rears totally? I am capable of doing either but would rather just swap the guts out of the diff if that is possible.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:21 am

Define cheap. :)

Willing to make a trip up to Washington? Bring an extra up for me and I'll install them both. :coffee2:

If you check out my G80 rebuild article, it details how to remove and reinstall the carrier from your rear axle. Swap your ring gear on and you're good to go.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TangoBravo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:42 am

I caught your article that is what got me onto this tangent in the first place. HaHa My only real concern is if maybe the housing on my non G80 is differant then a TB with one, know what I mean. I didn't want to bring it home to reaalize I should have got the whole rear end. And As far as how cheap, they have two as of yesterday and the price they listed on the was $35 for the internals and just under 100 for the entire rearend not including things like shoks and what not.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by fishsticks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:48 am

The carrier swaps right in to your housing. You need to strip the ring gear off your old carrier. I don't believe that you'll need to re-setup your ring/pinion spacing.

Does this place ship?
fishsticks

by MrSmithsTB » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:58 pm

You'll also need to make sure that the gear ratio matches your front differential, or replace that as well. And that is a hell of a price.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Philberto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm in the same boat too, and after thinking a bit about it, I'm determined to just swap the whole axle with a junkyard unit and hopefully recoup most of the cost by trading in my 80k mi axle. Should be much easier, and no need to worry about ring gears or re-spacing anything... That, and you can swap to the EXT axle for more strength. This has been discussed on trailvoy, and is pretty much a bolt-in installation... just make sure it's got the same ABS sensor setup as yours has... I believe it's either 2002-2005, or 2006+.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by TangoBravo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Thats good advise about the EXT swap, Also this salvage yard has always had really good prices, and if your in an area that does not have a place like this and your in need of a part let me know, I go there often and it would never be a problem to help a fellow wheeler out im sure one day I will need help so thats just how I look at it. Also the prices I gave are after what is called core. This means that you pay x dollars for said part then go home swap parts and bring your old one to them and they give you the differance in cash to were it cost 35 bucks. Even at full price it is still cheap but California is all about recycling.

TangoBravo
Addict

by TangoBravo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Also it just hit me, is there a gear ratio that is better then another? I don't want to do all this then find out I should have went with a differant ratio. I don't tow or hual heavy stuff this will be an around town truck that hits the trails,rocks,and an occasional muddin hole.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Philberto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 pm

You need to match the gear ratio to your front, unless you feel like changing out your front gears as well. Otherwise your drivetrain will explode when you put it into 4wd. :shoot:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by TangoBravo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Yeah thats why I was aking about gear ratio, I have the 3.43 I think is the ratio it is not the 3.73 or 4.10. So i figure that down the road I plan on tires as big as 35's or would at least like the possibility of 35's so I figure if there is a better gear for tires like that then I would rather swap over gears while im in there then do it all over again down the road.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Rob93 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:14 pm

TangoBravo wrote:Yeah thats why I was aking about gear ratio, I have the 3.43 I think is the ratio it is not the 3.73 or 4.10. So i figure that down the road I plan on tires as big as 35's or would at least like the possibility of 35's so I figure if there is a better gear for tires like that then I would rather swap over gears while im in there then do it all over again down the road.

Taller the ratio the better, to a point... 4.10 is your best bet for 35s
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
DriveTrain: 2WD

by djthumper » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Glad I am not the only one in the dilemma. I have the 3.42 also, I have heard that a G80 can go in there but not verified. The 3.42 is best for highway mileage, on my recent trip I got over 400 miles to the tank a few times. If you are looking at going to try 35" tires I would find a 4.10.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by fishsticks » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 pm

The axle housing and ring/pinion gears are the same from non-G80 to G80 differentials.

You simply need to transfer the ring gear from your open (non G80) carrier to the G80 carrier, then install it.
fishsticks

by TangoBravo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:59 am

Cool that's what Im looking for. I think I will do that and if I need to in the future I will switch gear ratio's. I will post a detailed thread if there is enough interest. I will leave it to the powers to be when the time comes.

TangoBravo
Addict

by KE7WOX » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am

TangoBravo wrote:Yeah thats why I was aking about gear ratio, I have the 3.43 I think is the ratio it is not the 3.73 or 4.10. So i figure that down the road I plan on tires as big as 35's or would at least like the possibility of 35's so I figure if there is a better gear for tires like that then I would rather swap over gears while im in there then do it all over again down the road.

Just check the RPO codes, there's a guide on the OS with the codes for each ratio. I doubt you can run 35s with the 3.42 and still be faster than a loaded dump truck.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by TangoBravo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 am

So what I decided to do was go ahead and install the G80 that matches my current gear ratio as 35" tires won't come for some time, if at all I would however like to have a rig that could handle them so a gear ratio upgrade will come but not for a while as I have pleanty of other things to do first. Like new shoes and a suspension lift just to name a few. But thank you guys for all the tips and pionters, I am glad you guys speak up instead of letting a possible catastrify happen.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Trail X » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm

If you're just installing a new carrier, you should have it re-shimmed. There are machining tolerances between the bearings and the ring gear that differ between parts. Installing a new one should prove to be very close to correct, but if you want the diff to be robust, you should at least check the tooth contact pattern.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TangoBravo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes this makes total sence I am glad you mentioned that, so I looked over the material on rebuilding a G80 because that would be that smart thing to do after all it is a junkyard part and there is no telling how many and what type of miliage is on it, and I think this is something I can tackle. I am no mechanic but I have grown working on cars and trucks, my mom gave me a 78 z28 for my 14th birthday and in order for me to have it I had to completly redue the car from bumper to bumper by my 16th bday. Long story short I had a sweet ride in high school. However this is the newest thing I have ever worked on and the first ifs 4x4. But all in all I think this is worth the sweat and blood. Also off topic but I have a question for JD myself and highseirra are talking about a possible trip this upcomming month. The problem is we are talking in the introduction section and I don't know how to move it to correct trip plannig section could you help us out with this?

TangoBravo
Addict

by fishsticks » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:51 pm

TangoBravo wrote:Yes this makes total sence I am glad you mentioned that, so I looked over the material on rebuilding a G80 because that would be that smart thing to do after all it is a junkyard part and there is no telling how many and what type of miliage is on it, and I think this is something I can tackle. I am no mechanic but I have grown working on cars and trucks, my mom gave me a 78 z28 for my 14th birthday and in order for me to have it I had to completly redue the car from bumper to bumper by my 16th bday. Long story short I had a sweet ride in high school. However this is the newest thing I have ever worked on and the first ifs 4x4. But all in all I think this is worth the sweat and blood. Also off topic but I have a question for JD myself and highseirra are talking about a possible trip this upcomming month. The problem is we are talking in the introduction section and I don't know how to move it to correct trip plannig section could you help us out with this?

When JD talks about having it shimmed, he's talking about shimming the pinion gear to mate properly with the ring gear, commonly called "setting up the gears."

If you don't, your gears may hum, which may never be a problem... or may.

Rebuilding an 8" G80 is going to cost you. Try to make sure the one you buy doesn't need anything more than maybe a clutch pack at most.
fishsticks

by Trail X » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Donny... isn't there also a left/right shim adjustment to the left and right of the carrier bearings? Maybe the shim is under the ring gear?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

Next

Return to Differentials / Axles