Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

What does G80 stand for?

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by emperor » Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 am

Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to this world. Recently purchased a used 2003 TB LS 4x4 and started surfing the net. Came across this great site. Been reading posts and many people are referring to G80. What does this stand for? Thanks!
emperor

Name: Emperor
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 am

G80 is the glovebox code for an automatic locking differential in the rear, the actual locker is the eaton gov-loc, but is commonly called the g80. If your glovebox options sticker says g80, then you have one.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by fishsticks » Mon May 31, 2010 1:26 am

...and next to that will be the code for your axle gear ratio...

GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10

Link to ALL the RPO codes for 2003:

http://www.trailvoy.com/docs/vinrpo/2003_VIN_RPO.pdf
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by badboy2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:20 am

I don't see g80 on mine.So if its not g80, then what could it be?Is there another type of diff?Does it mean if my right rear wheel is not turning my left wheel would'nt turn too?I just don't know i've never been into that situation yet.
badboy2
Cruiser

Name: joseph
Vehicle Year: 2002

by fishsticks » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:46 am

badboy2 wrote:I don't see g80 on mine.So if its not g80, then what could it be?Is there another type of diff?Does it mean if my right rear wheel is not turning my left wheel would'nt turn too?I just don't know i've never been into that situation yet.

No G80 RPO code means open diff. If you spin one wheel the other isn't going anywhere (and neither are you).
fishsticks

by badboy2 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 am

Is there a picture of the glove box where the g80 is written?
badboy2
Cruiser

by high-voltage » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:49 am

badboy2 wrote:Is there a picture of the glove box where the g80 is written?

Open your glove box.
THE DECAL DUDE
The unoffical source for ORTB decals!
high-voltage
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 am

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Wow
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I think he wanted us to take a pic of his glove-box!! :viking: :slap:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by The Roadie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm holding a can of Pirate4X4-vintage whoop-ass just behind my back. It's itching to get opened soon. :angry whip:
Attachments
sp0816_450[1].jpeg
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Mooseknuckle » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 am

LMFAO..You guys are too funny. I cant really say anything I'm still considered a newb.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006

by badboy2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Thank you for the picture.Sorry for asking too much.I just thought it was written
somewhere special.Thanks for the help.
badboy2
Cruiser

by ki3dragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 am

Wow! I sure am glad I didn't ask. Y'all would have made me feel like a real newbie DA...... OH! Wait a minute I am!....

I just bought my 2005 TB LS 4x4 G80??? out of necessity for some wheels after my former vehicle was totaled in an accident. The price was right the vehicle was clean and with my limited knowledge and having to act fast it was EXACTLY what I was looking for so I bought it and I love it.

I am here to learn about what I have or don't have and I want to fix it up to my liking. I ran across the G80 question on the profile build for this forum but until that I had not heard a thing about the G80. I have to look and see what I have when I get out to my truck this morning. :coffee2:

Thanks for the introduction. :roll: I am looking forward to asking lots of questions here. :finger: :)

Nice assortment of smileys to choose from. :excited:
ki3dragon
Cruiser

Name: Dave

by fishsticks » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:34 am

ki3dragon wrote:Wow! I sure am glad I didn't ask. Y'all would have made me feel like a real newbie DA...... OH! Wait a minute I am!....

I just bought my 2005 TB LS 4x4 G80??? out of necessity for some wheels after my former vehicle was totaled in an accident. The price was right the vehicle was clean and with my limited knowledge and having to act fast it was EXACTLY what I was looking for so I bought it and I love it.

I am here to learn about what I have or don't have and I want to fix it up to my liking. I ran across the G80 question on the profile build for this forum but until that I had not heard a thing about the G80. I have to look and see what I have when I get out to my truck this morning. :coffee2:

Thanks for the introduction. :roll: I am looking forward to asking lots of questions here. :finger: :)

Nice assortment of smileys to choose from. :excited:

Reasons we are short with newbies not searching...

1. Most of us are burnt out answering the same old questions (a lot of that comes from TrailVoy)
2. It takes a certain mindset to not end up being "that guy" who's rig is disabled on the trail due to lack of preparation. Being able to find one's own answers in the mix of things here is a litmus test of sorts.
3. You need thick skin to play. Deal. :finger:
fishsticks

by ki3dragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:26 am

You wanna be serious?? Sounds like your a little thinned skin there Fish.

Sounds to me Fish if your so burned out it's time for you to find a new lake to swim in :finger:

A mind set of WANTING to learn technical details or survival details has NOTHING to to do with asking a question on ANY forum. However, How you respond to those questions DOES say allot about what kind of ASS Hole you can be.

Nice to meet you Fish. Thanks for the welcome fish :D

DEAL :finger:
ki3dragon
Cruiser

Name: Dave

by Trail X » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:31 am

That's the spirit Dave, go get him.

But seriously... we're very willing to help as long as you have tried to find the answer yourself and present what pertinent knowledge you do know when asking the question. That's all we ask. With many noobish questions, we've tried to spend some time outlining it in detail in the past... just up to you to find it.

If you have some ideas for how we can better present some of this knowledge, I'm always open to ideas.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by The Roadie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 am

I posted this in another similar thread this morning, about the ORTB culture as distinct from trailvoy:

It's partly a test and partly a way to get your hackles up to THINK about what you're intending to do and WHY.

Folks who want lifts for looking good and going to the mall have NO idea why they would choose one setup over another. They are welcome to join trailvoy.com (what we also call the "OS" - or "Other Site") where there are a million posts and 70,000 members. We are not a site for discussing LMFAO (Lifts Meant For Appearance Only). :shoot:

There's an Offroad forum over there, but it's full of noobs asking the SAME old questions, and the owners of that site (where I am, BTW, a moderator and the #1 poster) have laid down rules that we are to be nice to noobs at all times, not mock them, and not demand too much thinking out of their tiny brains, and to not give them too much heat for posting in slang, no punctuation, no capitals, and generally looking like junior high girls tapping out text messages on their $20 cell phones where the search function is annoying to use. :finger:

Here, posting as if you're using a cell phone will get you some heat. It's the culture, that's all.

This site was set up by the founders for a more advanced level of discourse by members who were expected to come up to a certain level of knowledge on their own or by searching trailvoy.com, can use advanced search tactics, and can describe their offroad intentions by describing the trail conditions they want to conquer.

You simply CANNOT have a successful plan for lift, shocks, armor, and especially TIRES, unless you know what trails you have in your vicinity, and how aggressive you want to hit them. Recovery equipment, comm gear, trail spares, tools, and emergency kit needs to be budgeted for, not just the vehicle mods, and depends again on the trails and if you have a habit of going out alone. Getting the lift put on by a shop is also a clue that the poster is in it for the looks, since safety on the trail often depends on having the tools and experience to fix it where it breaks, and if you're not a DIY'er who can put on their own lift, you might be limited to easy trails where you might have fun, but you could embarrass the platform by getting stuck or breaking something trivial. And then the Jeeps will mock you and you might need $500-700 for an offroad extraction and THAT'S where you'll need the thick skin that we're trying to develop in new members by hazing them a bit here. :cheers:

Philosophical essay over.
The Roadie
Founder

by fishsticks » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:56 pm

ki3dragon wrote:You wanna be serious?? Sounds like your a little thinned skin there Fish.

Sounds to me Fish if your so burned out it's time for you to find a new lake to swim in :finger:

A mind set of WANTING to learn technical details or survival details has NOTHING to to do with asking a question on ANY forum. However, How you respond to those questions DOES say allot about what kind of ASS Hole you can be.

Nice to meet you Fish. Thanks for the welcome fish :D

DEAL :finger:

I like Lake ORTB. It's full of my shit and I'm comfortable here. :finger:

Trust me, you have no idea what kind of asshole I can be. Now, please remove the sand from your vagina and use the search function. :work:

Oh, and read Roadie's little blurb above. My post was intended to be the short version of that.
fishsticks

by The Roadie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm

fishsticks wrote:My post was intended to be the short version of that.
Your WHAT was supposed to be a short version of my WHERE? :shock: Hootus, I presume..... :poke:
The Roadie
Founder

Next

Return to Differentials / Axles