Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Going 2 Wheel Drive Today :(

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by 05ls_soldier » Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 am

So yesterday I had my truck torn apart to do some fluid changes and the usual 100,000 service, while it was up I realized that it was VERY hard to spin my left front tire. My 4wd hasn't worked for a while now. I have just been to fix it. On top of my 4wd woes I have only been getting between 9-11 MPG, so I figured I would do the tune up and O2 sensor work a little early (I'm at 91,000). I got all that done, did the rear diff, t-case and front diff, then while I was checking my I noticed the drag on that front wheel. So with us ramping up for a deployment, I am going on leave next week, about a 900 mile drive from Fort Polk, LA to LaPorte, IN, so 9-11 MPG is going to kill my wallet! I'm just going to do a quick fix today to get me through leave without having my front end lock up and possibly put me, the MRS. and the 2 kids in danger and pull my front half-shafts until I can get a new front diff. So I guess my question is, Does anyone see a problem with this? I know Roadie did it for a little bit and just put a Gatorade cap in the output hole. But I just want to be sure my family is safe as I have heard horror stories of front diffs locking up and sending skidding uncontrollably to a stop! :wallbash:
Save the gold, I'm investing in lead!
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Name: Nate
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Trail X » Sun May 23, 2010 10:00 am

Even MY truck got 18 mpg yesterday... so that sounds like terrible mileage.

At a minimum pull the driver side halfshaft. The passenger side won't lock up as long as your disconnect is unhooked (you're in 2hi).

There could be a number of issues that would make it hard to turn... curious, does your vehicle tend to pull to the left? It may if your driver tire is harder to spin. You're going to have to go through and spin different shafts to see where the resistance is, and what's spinning freely.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by 05ls_soldier » Sun May 23, 2010 10:22 am

To answer you question James, yes it pulls a little, but not unbearable! I think I should just pull them both out, as the passenger one has split the boot and needs replaced anyway! I will order the cardone shafts and once I get the new diff those will go in at the same time! Although once I get back from deployment, the money would be there to go SAS, Just not sure if I would want to spend that kind of money.... for right now though I'm just pricing swapping front diff, also a good excuse for getting rid of these 3.42's.

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

by The Roadie » Sun May 23, 2010 10:46 am

If your problem is in the diff instead of a bad wheel hub, the gatorade cap is still a good idea to prevent contamination, but I'd also drain half the remaining diff oil to get the level down and prevent pressure on the cap. Good luck!
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by 05ls_soldier » Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Well I'm done taking the axles off, The gatorade cap wouldn't fit, but a powerade one did! I noticed some interesting stuff while I had it in the air. When it is in 2 wheel drive, the front drive-shaft still has some power to it, It was stopable with my hand, but that was kind of surprising. I also got to check out the issue in my splined disconnect, its the splines on the shaft from the actual diff, and on the collar that goes into. Well I'm off to read JD's write up on the transfer case, to learn why that shaft still has power!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon May 24, 2010 12:11 am

If you come thru Indianapolis on your way to LaPorte I will buy you dinner for your troubles.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 am

My front prop shaft doesn't move at all... When's the last time you changed the T-case fluid (and what did you put in it?)?

BTW, could be a wheel bearing, so make sure the wheel spins fine now that you've got the half shaft out...
Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by 05ls_soldier » Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 am

I just changed the transfer case fluid like a month ago, and I used autotrak II from GM Dealership.... Hmm that makes me wonder why yours doesn't move at all and mine does! And Hardtrailz, We normally don't drive through Indy on our way home, but I may come down there to visit some family, so I'll let you know when I"m coming through. Back on subject it does spin freely now, so its not my wheel bearing, now I need to hunt down a front diff.

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Return to Differentials / Axles