Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

CB thoughts

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I will be adding a CB to my truck and I have this old one (about 20 years old). Is this CB like other tech today and outdated? I really don't know if I should keep it and use it or chuck it.

It's a Uniden Pro 520xl

Thoughts?
Attachments
CB (2).jpg
(76.08 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 pm

It may not have some of the fancy new bells and whistles that todays cb have. But im sure as long as it turns on, and u can get it tuned for your antenna, then you should be fine. Install it, use it till it dies (if it does) and then get a new one.

No sense spending money you dont have to. The nice thing is it looks nice and small.

Maybe go to your local truck stop, or CB shop and have them test it before you put it in. If it really is a piece o crap, then sell it on ebay or craigslist for a few bux.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:24 pm

If it works it works. Just try hooking it up before mounting and test it. I have the Cobra 75WX st that i think a couple of us run. It is nice because there is no box to mount. It is all on the mic.

I do not know of any real upgrades to CB tecnology over the years other than the illegal wattage boosts, so you should be fine with it. I think Wink has one about that size mounted in the dash under his aftermarket cd player.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Description if i read it right Uniden Pro 520XL

The Pro520XL CB radio offers full 40-channel operation. Its state-of-the-art microelectronics deliver high performance, while its compact size offers mobility. This model operates on any of the 40 AM frequencies authorized by the FCC. Its S/RF meter and red-lit LED indicators help you monitor activity at a glance. A built-in noise limiter and ANL switch fine-tune performance. The front-positioned microphone has an extra-long, coiled cord for convenient use. Mounting bracket, hardware and instructions are included.
What's in the Box
CB radio, microphone, mounting hardware, mounting bracket, user's manual and a two year warranty.

Product Description
The Uniden PRO520AXL is an advanced mobile radio designed for use in the Citizens Band Radio service. It will operate on any of the 40 AM frequencies authorized by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The PRO 520AXL features a superheterodyne circuit with PHASE LOCKED LOOP techniques to assure precise frequency control.

It still has good reviews for 2002 til 2010. Still for sale.

Looks like a good unit.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Hardtrailz is the Cobra 75WX st the one that has the radio part on the Mic itself? If so, if I was to throw this one away, that's what I planed on getting but I was told there no good by a CB shop :scratch:

BTW the one a have works fine.

EDIT

Just saw your second post. Thank you :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by djthumper » Thu May 20, 2010 1:37 pm

The 520XL is a good little radio, they are still sold all over the place.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:40 pm

It is the all in the mic one and it seems to work just fine for my usage. I have not tuned my ant, but I did get in a traffic jam going to the Columbus Trailvoy meet this weekend and flipped it on to see what was up. It worked fine and I know I heard over 3 miles away by the truckers calling out milemarkers to see how long the back-up was. May have been able to hear farther, but that was all the back up was. 175 exit to me somewhere between 171 and 172 mile marker.
HARDTRAILZ

by djthumper » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 pm

The biggest thing about tuning the antenna is it helps your transmitting so that you don't burn up the radio. it helps reception very little.
djthumper

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Speaking of antennas and tuning, are there better brands of antennas and does the CB and antenna need to be tuned?
I have had a couple Cb's in the past including this one and never had them tuned and they worked fine by all accounts. Should I tune it or call it good? My primary place of use will be off road or highway use getting there.

STOP THE PRESS

djthumper. Did you just say burn up the radio? Really, impedance?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Randy, after using a semi-stiff antenna, I'd recommend a bendy one. Mine will hit trees and branches pretty hard and it has loosened the mount a little. That's my only real recommendation. That, and I have a fire-ring connector for mine, and it seems to work well.

When transmitting your radio is sending electrical pulses into the antenna which must resonate in the antenna at the proper frequency. You get much better signal output if your antenna is the correct 'electrical height'. If the antenna is the wrong height, my understanding is that the electrical signals can get pushed back very strong into the vehicle and radio. That's why you should never press transmit on a radio when no antenna is attached.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm

I have my antenna on a spring since it is stiff. Seems to work, but I do want to get it tuned soon.
HARDTRAILZ

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 3:30 pm

James, I did not know about the no antenna and Mic thing. :scratch:

The Fire Ring looks cool and it seems to allow you to mount in more locations than a standard mount. :cheers: I question though, can a Fire Ring be used with a spring also?(Like HARDTRAILZ) I will possibly be mounting mine high up, attached to the hatch. Is the Fire Ring strong enough for some abuse?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

The Fire Ring itself doesn't really affect the strength of the mount so much as the mount itself. As long as your bracket is strong enough, I would say that the Fire Ring should be just as strong as the standard mount. And yes, it can be used with a spring. I'm using the standard connector, since I don't have clearance issues (see my cb setup on my build thread) and it's working fine, but I'm considering a Fire Ring to take some of the stress off the wire. I've no problems with transmitting or reception on my rig, and have been able to reach out approx 5-7 mi on the highway to truckers.

Setup:
Midland 5001z radio
4' Firestik II tunable antenna
Fry's coax/mount.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I've half-way thought of using this mount on the hatch. (Philberto will remember it) I"m just not sure if it's strong enough to ward off branches.
Attachments
MFJ-345T (2).jpg
(21.62 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Is it just a squeeze mount? If it doesn't mount through a hole, it will work it's way off.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Is it just a squeeze mount? If it doesn't mount through a hole, it will work it's way off.

Yes you're right. Might drill holes and bolt it on. It's just that with the eventual basket on top I feel it may be protected from too much carnage.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm

I remember that mount, but would recommend something that physically screws to the sheet metal. I'm having no trouble with my squeeze mount, but that's most likely because in the location that it resides, the antenna is very protected from most branch strikes (kind of the point).
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by djthumper » Thu May 20, 2010 5:02 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Speaking of antennas and tuning, are there better brands of antennas and does the CB and antenna need to be tuned?
I have had a couple Cb's in the past including this one and never had them tuned and they worked fine by all accounts. Should I tune it or call it good? My primary place of use will be off road or highway use getting there.

STOP THE PRESS

djthumper. Did you just say burn up the radio? Really, impedance?

You just have to tune the antenna with an SWR meter. If your SWR is too high you can actually burn out the finals in the radio and you will not be transmitting though you may hear people talking.

There are antennas that are better than others. You have the fiberglass antennas most from Firestick that have an adjustment screw at the top to help bring in your SWR. Then you have the 3 and 4' whips which I think is better for applications that may get them brought into trees and such, they have a set screw that moves them up and down in the base. Then you have the 102" whips which can be said to be the best over all performance but are harder to tune, and have been known to cause more damage to a vehicle.
djthumper

by djthumper » Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:I've half-way thought of using this mount on the hatch. (Philberto will remember it) I"m just not sure if it's strong enough to ward off branches.

The mount would work if we had more metal to connect it to around the hatch. I actually have one that I used on my old vehicle and it worked great. Since the antennas require bonding with the vehicle for its ground plane the top of the hatch is not a good mounting point nor do I think it is strong enough.

The addition of a spring between the mount and the antenna will help protect the antenna by absorbing the pressure from the whip. If you add it after you have tuned your antenna you may need to re-tune your antenna as it's environment has changed. Also check the tuning of the antenna without anyone near it as that has an effect on the SWR.
Last edited by djthumper on Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djthumper

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 5:11 pm

djthumper wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:I've half-way thought of using this mount on the hatch. (Philberto will remember it) I"m just not sure if it's strong enough to ward off branches.

The mount would work if we had more metal to connect it to around the hatch. I actually have one that I used on my old vehicle and it worked great. Since the antennas require bonding with the vehicle for its ground plane the top of the hatch is not a good mounting point nor do I think it is strong enough.

Thank you Larry.

I hadn't thought about the grounding issue with the vehicle. You seem to be the "right guy" to ask about these things judging from your link.

Where do you think a CB antenna should be located on this vehicle type?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Next

Return to Electrical / Radios