Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cable entry points?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by ComputernerdBD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey everyone. I am looking to install a brush guard and lights on the Trailblazer and eventually a roof rack with LED lights. I already have terminal connections for my dual terminal AGM battery, fuse panel and a nitrous system switch panel on the way which I will be using for the lights. I would also like to hardware my interior LEDs to that panel so I am not using the cigarette lighter for that.

Now when I put fog lights on my old truck a few years ago (98 GMC Jimmy) I made the mistake of routing the switch cable through the weatherstripping in the driver's door where it was not being pinched that badly. When I removed the Walmart lights a few weeks ago as they had water in them and were otherwise in rough shape due to other damage, the cables were in not that good shape. While I can reuse some of the wiring, I cut out the part that was in the door and below the windshield.

When I do all this in the Trailblazer I noticed that components are not nearly as crammed into the truck as the Jimmy and I would also like to route cables professionally much like we need to do in IT. What are the recommended cable entry points to use for wiring in these trucks for not only the battery to the center console coin tray but there to the roof rack for the LEDs up there? What about the center console to the engine compartment to the rear if I put other equipment back there or even rear lights? Thanks
2007 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4.2L stock with Trans Cooler and LEDs

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4x4 4.3L with CAI/Trans Cooler/Throttle Body Spacer/LEDs
ComputernerdBD

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by djthumper » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:47 am

Sometimes you have to do research on a point that you can drill into and feed the wiring through. Much like in IT.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I went straight through the roof under the cap for the roof rails, silicone it up.
For the firewall you can run a lil bulkhead connector if you like, or you can go old school and just cram in a grommet and shove the wire through.

http://www.b2tengineering.com/product-c ... bulkheads/
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-We ... B0017NR110

There's also some pretty slick relay/fuse blocks to keep wiring tidy.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ComputernerdBD » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:07 am

Ok thanks for the tips. However where do the existing cables normally cross the firewall? The bulkhead connectors are interesting but not sure if I want to cut that big of a hole in the firewall if it is avoidable. What about going under the firewall and coming up from below the floor? Like where the parking brake or shifter cable crosses through?
2007 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4.2L stock with Trans Cooler and LEDs

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4x4 4.3L with CAI/Trans Cooler/Throttle Body Spacer/LEDs
ComputernerdBD

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Electrical / Radios