Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Dash Lights Burning Out??

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by HawkeyeC25 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey all,

When I first bought this '05 TB, a few dash lights were out, but they all seem to be failing at a fairly fast rate. A few are out on my dash (almost can't see the tach at night), most of the HVAC ones are out (if I hit it, the temp control backlight flickers), a couple of the steering wheel buttons, and all of the lights on the headlight dial and push buttons are out (green fog light indicator and headlight indicator still come on, but no background lighting).

Is this common on the older/higher mileage vehicles? How much work is it to pull these apart and fix? I'm assuming it's all LED's.

Any suggestions?
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mason10198 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Hm. I have an '05 as well with ~250k on the clock and the only light im missing is the backlight on the right half of the right-most knob on the temp control panel. Oh, before I bought it my instrument panel was also replaced with one out of a wrecker with 90k on it so that may be why those are still good.

Sent from Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:29 am

HawkeyeC25 wrote:Hey all,

When I first bought this '05 TB, a few dash lights were out, but they all seem to be failing at a fairly fast rate. A few are out on my dash (almost can't see the tach at night), most of the HVAC ones are out (if I hit it, the temp control backlight flickers), a couple of the steering wheel buttons, and all of the lights on the headlight dial and push buttons are out (green fog light indicator and headlight indicator still come on, but no background lighting).

Is this common on the older/higher mileage vehicles? How much work is it to pull these apart and fix? I'm assuming it's all LED's.

Any suggestions?

From what I understand they are hardwired (soldered), and quite a few failed while still under warranty. I have a variety out, on steering wheel buttons, one inside the dash.

Look around on GMTnation.com, they have a few threads detailing fixing them.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 am

Cool thanks guys! Trailvoy had some good info on this too and lead to some videos on YouTube showing how to solder on some new bulbs. I'll have to get around to this at some point. Low on my priority list, but bugs be enough to want to do it at some point for sure!
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Rickalicka18 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 am

I was just going to recommend checking trailvoy.... Haha. They also have some articles on switching the bulbs out to led bulbs if that interests you or if you haven't already found it. Switching to led dash lights might be something I'd do in the future too... Looks lit lol.
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 pm

I can't handle the spam and ad's on Trailvoy anymore, that's why i recommended GMTnation. It's this site's sister site and is still run by active member's.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by djthumper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:44 am

What is this Trailvoy you guys are talking about? LOL Trailvoy is dead and not even run by people that own 360s. It is a nice repository but you really should check out GMTNation.com first.
djthumper

Name: Larry
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 am

I mean..... Shitty site or not they have a couple good article on how to change out our dash lights to led. If GMTNation had some articles on it, I would of suggested them.... But they either don't have any or I didn't look hard enough. That's why I suggested he check out Trailvoy
Rickalicka18
Addict

by Chris68chevy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:24 am

Rickalicka18 wrote:I mean..... Shitty site or not they have a couple good article on how to change out our dash lights to led. If GMTNation had some articles on it, I would of suggested them.... But they either don't have any or I didn't look hard enough. That's why I suggested he check out Trailvoy

The led mod thread over on GMTnation in the first like 5 pages is nothing but a write up for swapping the interior lights to leds.
Chris68chevy

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 am

Yeahhhh screw Trailvoy.com they suck.
Rickalicka18
Addict

by HawkeyeC25 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Just so this thread leads to something useful for people, here is a link I found helpful:
GMTNation LED Mod Thread

And a couple YouTube videos of replacing the IP Cluster lamps:
Dash lights - how to replace GM dash lights gauges Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac
How to Fix a GM Speedometer & Instrument Lighting
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Return to Electrical / Radios