Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Headlight relay's

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:43 pm

So my first day on the job, my headlights stayed on, ran my battery dead, I had to get a jump from the VP, looked like a fool. 40 dollar's in relays later, all was well again.

Then the other day I started the truck, in the dark, and the headlight's didn't come on until I engaged a gear. Weird, but I forgot all about it. Now today, my GF tells me that the battery is dead again and she needs a jump. My guess, although I'm at work and can't check it out, is that those stupid headlight relay's are popped again. Since they were 40 dollar's the first time, I don't particularly feel like throwing 40 bucks at the stupid thing every 6 weeks.

I have upgraded the Bulbs to 9012's, and I did have my LED bar hooked to the stock fog light switch, but I unhooked it when the VP pointed out my truck would jump faster if I didn't "have that big ass light on" :zombie:

So my immediate thought is it's the 9012 bulbs somehow, since they were the last thing I changed. I have them in my 95 GMC, and it's been fine, but who know's? Any other thought's?

Actually, I just changed my alternator also.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Rickalicka18 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Aren't the headlights 9006? Idk about no 9012 bulbs. You must know something I don't... Almost sounds like a ground problem. Any kind of tripping I've had like that has always been a ground issue.
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm

The stock headlights are 9006 bulbs, newer trucks use 9012's, so I swapped some in. They are much brighter and whiter.

Some posting on GMTnation has lead me to believe I have a flaky ignition switch, so one is on the way from Rockauto.

My GF said it drove normally all the way to work, no issues, headlights auto on and off with no problems.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by v7guy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:20 am

The ignition switch does cause all sorts of weirdness when it goes. So it's a distinct possibility.

Interesting that your light bar is wired to be always on... never seen someone do that before.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:25 am

v7guy wrote:The ignition switch does cause all sorts of weirdness when it goes. So it's a distinct possibility.

Interesting that your light bar is wired to be always on... never seen someone do that before.

It was not, that's what lead me to believe my low beam relay was stuck in the on position when I changed it.

It was wired to the fog lights wiring. However, while the cables were hooked up and the voltage was still low, it kept popping on, even with me manually turning it off.

Since replacing those two relays I haven't had a repeat of that, but in the past two months I've had a lot of electrical oddness now that I think about it. Headlight relays, then the alternator pooped, now this....
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by v7guy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:06 am

Ah, ok, I misunderstood. Fortunately the ignition switch is cheap and easy to replace, hopefully it gets you sorted out!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:08 pm

I drove it to work today, when I hit it with the voltmeter before I started it, it was down to 11v. Alternator is putting out 14.7 still. It drew down to around 8 while cranking. I'm starting to think my battery is pooping the bed on me.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Same exact thing happened with me. Except I installed my sub and the the alternator went (which even before my subwoofer was in the headlights would flicker). After the alternator went the battery crapped out too. Replaced them both and installed a secondary battery. Never had a problem with it since. Even left my fog lights on all night and drained them both, they both recharged fully on a 45min drive.
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 am

I would begin to think the ignition switch might be involved as well. Mine has gotten to where the radio doesn't always turn off when you get out unless you switch it off. I figure my switch is on it's way out.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Jrgunn5150 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:14 pm

navigator wrote:I would begin to think the ignition switch might be involved as well. Mine has gotten to where the radio doesn't always turn off when you get out unless you switch it off. I figure my switch is on it's way out.

See, I'm not having those symptoms. I just assumed my headlights stayed on the first time and replaced the relay's because I thought, "why else would my battery randomly go dead". But I've noticed now, when the voltage is low, all the light's go nuts.

However, the ignition switch is so cheap, it's on it's way anyway. When i got out last night after my 40 mile commute my battery was at 12.2 volts, which I don't think is a full charge anyway, but I'll check it again before I go to work here shortly.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Return to Electrical / Radios