Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

FRS radios?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 pm

We need two way radios here at work, our paging system leaves much to be desired for communication purposes.

I guess, we used to have two way radios, but the need for FCC licenses was determined to be too costly. So anyway, we have three pants here, spread a crossed about 60 acres, with a big chain link fence and train tracks splitting it in half. Not to mention, we're in cinderblock buildings with steel roofs, casting aluminum, and machining it with steel CNC's.

So not an ideal situation for a low powered radio. FRS is pretty readily available, but I don't think it will have the needed power. Is CB an option? I don't really care if other people hear us all that much. Any other ideas? I really don't know alot about radios, so I'd appreciate the help.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by KE7WOX » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Have they looked into the business band? That's a step up (it's what Target, Walmart and a lot of other retail stores use), but it's not a full system (with repeaters, fancy pre-programmed radios or anything like that). Another option is MURS, but radios aren't widely available (a few companies make them), you really gotta look for them.

FRS will most likely be useless, as it's limited by law to 0.5W, throw in a vehicle or building and you're done. CB could be an option, but there are few options for handheld radios, and they're typically large and heavy.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by AA1PR » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Theres always MURS several "DOT" channels int eh VHF band would work

license free & you're allowed 2watts RF output
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 am

KE7WOX wrote:Have they looked into the business band? That's a step up (it's what Target, Walmart and a lot of other retail stores use), but it's not a full system (with repeaters, fancy pre-programmed radios or anything like that). Another option is MURS, but radios aren't widely available (a few companies make them), you really gotta look for them.

I'm honestly not sure, I just know they had some radios, licensing got too expensive, and they're in a closet somewhere now lol.

I will check out the MURS systems, thanks guy's!
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Electrical / Radios