Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hella 500's

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by blazinlow89 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Who has a set of Hella 500's that can take a pic with a measuring tape against the back. Need to check measurements for fitment.
blazinlow89

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Mine are not mounted this way anymore. But here are mine mounted, and retro-fitted with HID's coming out the back, you can see where they sit on my front bumper pretty clearly. Might help you some.
Last edited by mikekey on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by blazinlow89 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks I think that gives me a good idea. I know James round Hella's but I think they might be the 4000's. Trying to see if they will clear my upper rail on the bull bar. Should be fine as it slopes on the back. I wont have much adjustment fore and aft (not needed for what I am doing), but it might work.
blazinlow89

by galacticfuzz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I have a similar set up as above. Depending in what bullbar you have they may not really fit. I have the super bull bar from truckgeardirect and I know the 500s won't fit in there too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build Thread
“Set out from any point. They are all alike. They all lead to a point of departure.”
― Antonio Porchia
galacticfuzz
Off-Roader

Name: Drew
Vehicle Year: 2007

by blazinlow89 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:53 pm

galacticfuzz wrote:I have a similar set up as above. Depending in what bullbar you have they may not really fit. I have the super bull bar from truckgeardirect and I know the 500s won't fit in there too well.

I have the same bar I think (Hunter?). However the mounts they gave me are slotted, not like the pictures online which makes me think I could get them to fit. If not I have a set of 550's on the way but if I could fit 500's it would look better. KC has some options in 5" that would clear but I like the Hella's better and they are cheaper.
blazinlow89

by galacticfuzz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 pm

blazinlow89 wrote:
I have the same bar I think (Hunter?). However the mounts they gave me are slotted, not like the pictures online which makes me think I could get them to fit. If not I have a set of 550's on the way but if I could fit 500's it would look better. KC has some options in 5" that would clear but I like the Hella's better and they are cheaper.

I can take some pics of the mounting on the bar in the morning. If I recall the the mounting tab had a hole and also a slot.

Build Thread
“Set out from any point. They are all alike. They all lead to a point of departure.”
― Antonio Porchia
galacticfuzz
Off-Roader

Name: Drew
Vehicle Year: 2007

by blazinlow89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 am

Seeing as this thread was about Hella lights I will post the additions I have made here.

First I installed some Hella 550 fogs, however I did not take photos of them installed. Just Imagine the smaller 450's only bigger.

I also installed a set of Hella 500 FF driving lights, while I will agree with James that the cornering lights provide more usable light, between my headlights, the 500's and the 550's I can light up a lot of area. Also had to install the MD plate to comply with outdated laws.

I have the fogs wired up to come on with the running lights, so my new DRL's if you will. Works for me as I drive 5 miles to and from work everyday, and only use the truck for long drives. Also some ice from todays travels.

The bull bar works very well for giving me a stable area to mount lights, while I do know the mixed feelings on them I can say it works for me.

Now for some light spreads

Hella 550 fogs only

Fogs and Low beams (4300K 35w HID in the projector housing)

Fogs, Lows and Hella 500's

Of course Fogs, lows, 500's and the high beams (cheap H1 bulb)

Just the fogs and 500's

I will say that with just the Hella lights I had plenty of usable light driving around some trails in PA this weekend, most were at dusk and night, and the mud was pretty bad in some areas. The highs on these projector lamps act more like floods and give a nice spread, which compliments the 500's very nicely.
blazinlow89

Return to Electrical / Radios