Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Offroad Lighting Info - What do you use?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by crate2002 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 pm

I am reaching out to see what everyone has used for lighting. It's almost Christmas and Santa (wife) just might get me some lights! In the ATV community, LED's are becoming the trend. Out with the HID's, in with the LED's. But that's only because the ATV is only capable of pushing out (X) amount of watts. I am very impressed with the little 8" LED bars I have seen people use. But vehicles are a different story because the output of the alternators are much much more. Right now I am running 6000k 55watt High beams and low beams with quad beam mod for highs. There are people who purchased high end such as Hella HID's, and Rigid Industries LED's. I'm sure there has to be people who have experimented with eBay LED light bars or possibly Amazon. Throw some feedback on what you use, What the output is, and why you choose the light / lights you did. If you have pictures of them in action, feel free to post them up! Pictures help visual people like myself understand lol
Last edited by crate2002 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
crate2002
Cruiser

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 pm

I bought two 7 or 8 inch 36W LEDs that were flood/spot combos to run on my jon boat. I was pretty impressed with them. I also had 2 little 18W floods that did well.

I had two more 15W floods that I was not impressed with. I noticed the good ones had clear/smooth lenses and the 15W had a textured lens, I think to scatter the light more. Pay attention to the mounts also. I see some of the 36 W with one mounting point, mine had two and I think that would be more solid.

I plan to add lights but my other mods are higher priority right now.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by mikekey » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:07 pm

OHHH LEDs'.

I can't make up my mind if I want to upgrade or not. Maybe I will. Currently I run HID's at 5000K 55 watts in the headlamps. And I run 55w 5000K in the forward driving lamps, and when I had a regular bumper, I also ran 35W HID's in the fogs.

My roof bar has also been converted with 35W HID's at 4500K

All I had to do was drill holes in the back of everything:

I was more than happy with it during my last trip thru Moab.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I've had hella 4000 rallye cornering lamps on my front bumper for 5 years, and I don't think I'd trade them for anything. Perfect all-around wide beam. For fogs, I've got some DE projectors from hella. They have an excellent low cutoff line that really makes them good for fog. I upgraded them to 100W halogens.

I'm still unsure about LEDs, they seem to generally be best for long light throw or floods. The design of the LED lenses and reflectors is still improving all the time, whereas the halogen reflectors have been studied for decades and well refined. I've been considering picking a couple LEDs for the roof rack, potentially some long range beams since I have short and medium range covered.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Cable810 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:12 pm

I've got 2 Rugged Ride 100w 6" lights that I'm running. Awesome light output! I definitely would spend money for LEDS if I had $$$
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by crate2002 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Any issues with voltage? TB has a moderately low idle from factory. Has anyone upgraded their pulley on the alternator or replaced to a HO alternator?
crate2002
Cruiser

by mikekey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:06 pm

We've already got the HO alternator factory (but it's only 150amps, look for KG4 RPO) on our rig, two voltages were issued from the factory, I think if you have premium sound and the sunroof package you got it. A few folks have dual battery setups, see Jame's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=602 on the subject.

We personally haven't experienced too many voltage issues with all the lights on and idle. Although I did notice dimming when we started rolling up windows in idle and closing the sunroof with the lights on.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by The Roadie » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:59 pm

All trucks came with 150 amp alternator. Some aftermarket parts stores have a flawed data base that implies some shipped with a lower ampacity unit. None did.

There are aftermarket super-alternators for mucho-$
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Cable810 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 am

Never have had an issue with Volatage
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb

by v7guy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

I've been reading for a good while now. We have a decent thread here
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=8

ARFCOM has a good thread here
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/149380 ... ay___.html

There's also these fellas from right here in NY (don't hold it against them) that seem to offer a damn fine lightbar.
http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/Light-bars_c_7.html

There's a few more threads here, but I think this covers it mostly
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Karo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:40 pm

JamesDowning wrote:I've had hella 4000 rallye cornering lamps on my front bumper for 5 years, and I don't think I'd trade them for anything. Perfect all-around wide beam. For fogs, I've got some DE projectors from hella. They have an excellent low cutoff line that really makes them good for fog. I upgraded them to 100W halogens.

I'm still unsure about LEDs, they seem to generally be best for long light throw or floods. The design of the LED lenses and reflectors is still improving all the time, whereas the halogen reflectors have been studied for decades and well refined. I've been considering picking a couple LEDs for the roof rack, potentially some long range beams since I have short and medium range covered.

From my experience led's are not useful for long distances. For long distance i would go with halogen or hids as leds didn't have big reflectors for long distance.
Long distance from 250-500 meters is what I am talking about. Just my personal experience.
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten

by Trail X » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Ah, so you're saying the LED's don't have enough light accumulation to throw the light down a long range? Sounds logical. I don't have personal experience, it's just based on what I've seen from the more reputable companies. For instance, Hella only has three LED light models, two "driving" beams for long range (although, I see what you mean, one of those has a close-range output), and one as a utility flood beam.
Trail X
Founder

by blazinlow89 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Figure this would be a good place to ask since its about lighting.

Looking to throw a set of fogs on the front and have found a few sets I like. First 1 set if round the KC Apollo 5" Fogs (part # 457). Also looking at either the Hella 450 or 550's which are rectangular. Any concerns with either type.

Im going to add spot and flood lights to the roof (LED's).
blazinlow89

Name: Josh

by Trail X » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 pm

The best fogs are generally a projector type. They throw very little light upwards, which is what you want if you really want a strict fog beam. Also, be sure to get a light with warmer light output. The bluer the light, the more readily it disperses.
Trail X
Founder

by crate2002 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 pm

JamesDowning wrote:be sure to get a light with warmer light output. The bluer the light, the more readily it disperses.

I did notice this with blue light. I made the switch from regular halogen OEM bulbs to sylvania silverstar ultras. Noticeably brighter light. It wasn't enough for me though. So I switched to 55watt 6,000k high beam and low beam. HUGE difference in light output. But the light that hits say 200 yards away seems dimmer than a yellow light. I had thought about putting 100watt HID in the highs around 4,500k-5,000k. We will see If I feel like experimenting to see if I melt anything. I am so undecided on offroad lights. :coffee: I search and search and search lol I do agree with the LED for "short range". They wont be able to shine like a pencil beam for huge distance. Yet anyway... These companies are calming to have bigger and better ideas every year.
crate2002
Cruiser

by mikekey » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 am

For 55watts you're into the blue with those 6000K. I just double checked, I actually started with 5000K 35w then upgraded to 4500K 55W. I wanted a true white for optimum output. Once your into the blue the visible spectrum dispates as James already stated.
mikekey
Lifer

by jhmeg2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I am looking to add some roof lights. I have done the 33w 8k hids, did not like them. I'm thinking about the 55w 5k hids for high, low and fog. Maybe do the same for roof tops as well. But in what housing? As far as a high output alt.... I have been doing audio for years and that's covered. I am back down to a single battery to. At idle, there is still a possibility of a bit of dimming when closing windows, but under load, no worries. 318 amp max output, I think I will be ok.
2003 LTZ-3" suspension-3"body-Massive rear upper/lower-pan hard bar-Bilstien HD struts-Skyjacker 7000 shocks-Micky Thompson 15"W/-35-12.5-15 STT-Barton front bumper, oil and radiator skids-turbo mufler-And then theres the audio
jhmeg2

Name: Patrick

by mikekey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:30 pm

jhmeg2 wrote:I am looking to add some roof lights. I have done the 33w 8k hids, did not like them. I'm thinking about the 55w 5k hids for high, low and fog. Maybe do the same for roof tops as well. But in what housing? As far as a high output alt.... I have been doing audio for years and that's covered. I am back down to a single battery to. At idle, there is still a possibility of a bit of dimming when closing windows, but under load, no worries. 318 amp max output, I think I will be ok.

You will melt the fog housing with 55w. Just use 35w for the fogs. Trust me you will be plenty happy with 55W white's in the lows. Thats all you need to make life better, outside of actual projectors.
mikekey
Lifer

by Trail X » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:18 pm

The stock fogs have a terrible beam pattern. They are just for looks. Don't bother upgrading the bulb, throw the lights out and find something aftermarket with a useful beam to start with.
Trail X
Founder

by blazinlow89 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Currently running Hella 500FF driving lights center of truck in front of grill, with Hella 450 fogs below them all mounted to my bull bar. The 500's give a long beam, the 450's give a nice wide pattern with a good cutoff. I had a set of 550 fogs and while they did give a much larger beam pattern the 350's are more than adequate.

I will take pics next time I go off pavement to show better pictures of the light patterns. IF you want to see the current patterns or my mounting configuration I have a thread asking about dimensions here---> viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4815. I was initially going to run the 500's in the center and put the fogs beneath them, however I like this configuration better.

I will be mounting the 550's I took off the front along with a set of Hella 550 driving lights on the roof soon (weather). I will put the fogs on the oustide with a slight downward angle (10 degrees maybe) and the driving lights in the center. I will play around with the angles to get a good light pattern.
blazinlow89

Name: Josh

Next

Return to Electrical / Radios