Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Offroad Lighting Info - What do you use?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by jhmeg2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:20 am

mikekey wrote:
jhmeg2 wrote:I am looking to add some roof lights. I have done the 33w 8k hids, did not like them. I'm thinking about the 55w 5k hids for high, low and fog. Maybe do the same for roof tops as well. But in what housing? As far as a high output alt.... I have been doing audio for years and that's covered. I am back down to a single battery to. At idle, there is still a possibility of a bit of dimming when closing windows, but under load, no worries. 318 amp max output, I think I will be ok.

You will melt the fog housing with 55w. Just use 35w for the fogs. Trust me you will be plenty happy with 55W white's in the lows. Thats all you need to make life better, outside of actual projectors.

Well I have the front bumper all welded up with 5" fog buckets. Now I need to choose the lights. Still thinking of doing 55w HID 5k for everything, but what housing to use for the fogs. It looks like the Hella 550 are the most popular for the roof lights. I just want all the lights to match color wise. So I want to do HID on the roof to, but that means that I don't need to spend the money on a great light if I'm going to change out the bulb anyhow. So again, what housing to use. I want long range output from my roof lights. OR... Do I do a projector housing for it all? then replace headlamps with projectors. OH SOME BODY HELP ME....
2003 LTZ-3" suspension-3"body-Massive rear upper/lower-pan hard bar-Bilstien HD struts-Skyjacker 7000 shocks-Micky Thompson 15"W/-35-12.5-15 STT-Barton front bumper, oil and radiator skids-turbo mufler-And then theres the audio
jhmeg2

Name: Patrick
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Wrong. If you are going HID, you need a light housing designed for HID. The HID arc and the halogen filament are different enough in their shape that they can create super glare if you just swap a HID bulb into a shitty light reflector. Find a set of lights designed for HID. Retrofit kits are really just for people that want the HID look, and don't really care what sort of beam they throw. Sorry if that offends anyone. A good beam pattern to match your needs appropriately is much more important than the light color or the total lumen output.

Ask yourself what you need the lights for, then figure out what beam pattern makes the most sense, then shop by beam pattern. Understand that in general the more you spend on a light housing, the better and more usable the pattern will be. It sucks, but its reality. There are tons of shitty Chinese lights floating around that have some poorly designed reflector in them. They look really bright when you look into them because they shoot light everywhere, and focus it nowhere.

since you say you have buckets welded into your bumper, start there. Normally fog lights are low - do you get a lot of fog or snow? Might be a good pattern to look for first. Projectors are generally some of the best for fog lights, but that's due to their sharp cutoff. They aren't normally good for long range throw.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Jebus, can't believe I posted that. I must of had an off day since I had been arguing before with the twerps on GMT that HID's in the factory housing blow monkey chunks and just blinds everyone else on the road. This is why I have projectors now. Although I did foolishly jam HID's in everything else. I know better now.

James is correct, beam pattern is way more important.

However if you are just concerned with looks, 55W will indeed mount the factory fog lights.

(Oddly enough I can now tell the difference after lasik, holy batpoop my night vision was terrible.)
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by DustinC1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:49 am

I run HID's in my factory headlights, adjusted them correctly and have had no problems. Could be better, but not as bad as just throwing them in and calling them good like most people do.
Unfortunately, I don't have the option of projectors. Apparently aftermarket headlight companies aren't aware of the different headlights, or just didn't make them because they are less common and wasn't worth the investment.

As for auxiliary lighting, having always used halogen off road lights and recently going LED... I will be going back to halogen.
I am unhappy with the light output of the LED's, I didn't expect a great deal of distance from them since the LED housings are clearly not made for distance. But they are basically a glorified fog light.
For my turn signals, brake lights, reverse lights, interior lights, ect.. LED's are great. But beyond that... not impressed
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am

Interesting observation on the LEDs. From what I've seen, it seems that much more critical for the LEDs to buy good stuff. I know the Baja and SCORE guys have basically all switched to LEDs from the big halogens and have had good luck. But just like halogen, it's easy to wrap a LED bulb in some randomly shaped reflector and call it good. It's hard to design a reflector for LEDs and get something that really works properly.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to the LED light that you have/had?
Trail X
Founder

by mikekey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:08 am

I just saw this on the sister site, some yo yo put HID's into his reverse lights. Not sure the warm up is worth it.

Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by DustinC1989 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Interesting observation on the LEDs. From what I've seen, it seems that much more critical for the LEDs to buy good stuff. I know the Baja and SCORE guys have basically all switched to LEDs from the big halogens and have had good luck. But just like halogen, it's easy to wrap a LED bulb in some randomly shaped reflector and call it good. It's hard to design a reflector for LEDs and get something that really works properly.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a link to the LED light that you have/had?

The bar I have is not a expensive one, its a 12" Rough Country bar.
There are some bars I've seen that friends have, and they are AWESOME.... they also cost more than a set of Radflo's for their smaller bars.

Cost to Performance is my reason for switching back.

My first set of $40 Autozone special KC knockoffs had much more usable light output than my $200 LED bar.
So for the just the cost of replacing my "cheap" LED bar, I could buy all 4 KC's for my roof bar.
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin

by Trail X » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:11 pm

I'd recommend looking elsewhere than KCs... they are some of the crappiest... and knockoff KCs just sound worse.

But your comparison is understood. That even poor KCs outshine the rough country led bar. Sad, but probably quite valid for a $200 led bar.

For the budget user, my impression is that LEDs are much better suited for flood lighting at camp.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:00 pm

I had 2 36W spot/flood combos on the front of my jon boat and they worked great for running at night, they lit up the water really well. Shining down in the water though I had some 18W floods that were a lot better.
I never mounted them on my truck to compare, I wish now I had tried that. One thing that helped is that those lights were likely only 2ft off the water.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 180W LED lightbar off of ebay (link below) earlier this week but backed out. I want to get a couple of the 18W LEDS to mount in the rear for fishing/camping/backup lights. I think they will work great for that with little draw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190986552105?var=490219768774
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by c bausch » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:42 am

21.5" mictuning led bar, 4 whelen tir3's
Attachments
image.jpg
c bausch
Off-Roader

Name: chris

by JCrayton99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:52 am

Kyle and I both are running the EYourLife LED bars, and I havent had any complaints and I dont believe he has either. Ive had the 20", 6" and 4" bars, he has some of the longer ones.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 am

I have the 32 and 24. Also have 2 six inch bars and 4 27w round pods I am playing with
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by Grimor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:38 am

i'm pretty happy with my light cannons. just wish the covers were 4 tab instead of 3 so you had more mounting options. ended up not working out for the 5" bumper cans
Grimor
Trail-Blazer

Name: Dennis

by AA1PR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 pm

4 hella 700ff's, yet to ever use them off road
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR