Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Off Network Topo Maps using a iPad

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by TBYODA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:10 am

As I am beginning my quest towards a capable off road rig, I need a way to have maps of the trails. JD, Roadie and KaRo have laptops to use for this. I wanted to use my iPad. I have a WiFi only iPad so no internal GPS. I solved this by getting a external blue tooth GPS Receiver by Dual Electronics. I tried on one app by Trimble navigation but was PITA to get maps on the iPad. I found another app that you could down load the maps right from the iPad. Sweet. Topo Maps :excited:
gps.jpg
gps.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 7580 times

All the green areas are maps that I have DL and I have 3.8 Gig so far. :happy whip:
Topo Maps.JPG

The maps are just 2D but I am cool with that. Here is a example the Quadrangle maps.
photo.jpg
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by james02 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 am

Thats interesting to me.....Are you going to mount it in the cab or let the ipad free ball around on the passenger seat??
james02
Off-Roader

Name: james
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by djthumper » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 am

I actually have trimble and Gaia GPS that I use for this same thing and SAR. Trimble you can do multiple layers at once. On Gaia You can't, at least not that I have found.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TBYODA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 am

james02 wrote:Thats interesting to me.....Are you going to mount it in the cab or let the ipad free ball around on the passenger seat??

Gosh no, even with the otter box case that would be bad. I plan to make a support mount similar to what Gordinho80 did for his camera and use a ram mount.
The plus side of this is the iPad is just large enough for the camera to stick up over the top of the dash (might have to move it up some). Instant dash cam. I would only have the iPad mounted when trail riding.

Ram mount
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx
I may opt for this instead so it could be use by a passenger.
RAM Twist Lock Suction Cup
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by TBYODA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:38 am

djthumper wrote: Trimble you can do multiple layers at once.
I did like that option, I really did not like the two step process to DL maps, beside you have to have monthly/year fee to use & DL there mega maps. I had this at tecore and had some maps in the area we were wheeling but could not get the software to show location on map.

TBYODA

by mikekey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am

There was a guy on GMT to who shoved an Ipad Mini where his headunit goes. I've been thinking of doing the same. Better watch out, a lot of PC/Android guys here might roll in. lol

I've seen some nice mounting options. However, if you travel with someone regularly like your wife, I'd say leave it in there hands and get a removable mount.

Hey Larry, is this the Trimble app you're talking about? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mytopo- ... 96840?mt=8
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:41 am

My old Motion Computing Windows tablet was getting unreliable, and rather than upgrade to a SSD, I just started using my Galaxy Tab 10.1" with Backcountry Navigator Pro. But in Borrego, I never need the maps any more.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by djthumper » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:19 am

mikekey wrote:There was a guy on GMT to who shoved an Ipad Mini where his headunit goes. I've been thinking of doing the same. Better watch out, a lot of PC/Android guys here might roll in. lol

I've seen some nice mounting options. However, if you travel with someone regularly like your wife, I'd say leave it in there hands and get a removable mount.

Hey Larry, is this the Trimble app you're talking about? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mytopo- ... 96840?mt=8

Yep, that is what I have been using. Getting the maps downloaded is a pain though. A lot of the maps that I have found are rather old topo maps if I get the aerial shots as well I can make a layer less opaque and view the multiple layers.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to Electrical / Radios