Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

ELM 327 & iPad

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by TBYODA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 pm

As I have been reading over all the great posts and build threads I see most are using the Scangauge II. Although a great device I wanted to utilize my $700 64 gig iPad for as many things as I can other than surfn' and reading on this site. ;)

This is what I came up with. I bought a WiFi ELM 327from amazom and OBD Fusion app form iTunes. Plugged the ELM327 into the port & connected via wifi and launched the app with out any problems. Took me a few minutes to get some different things displayed but not to much trouble. Well worth the $34 I paid total. I have read others doing this with a android device also not really new here. Just thought I post for anyone that has iDevice like me. The only thing that it can't read is tranny temp. :( Might have to install a separate gauge once I add a extra cooler. I am taking suggestion on what other useful things to display.
Attachments
OBD Fusion.JPG
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am

can you not find a code for the tranny temp or you just haven't gotten to it yet?
To me that would be the main reason for wanting to do something like that.
It is a sweet looking display.

I just thought of something, it is funny how all the info is there for our gauges to use a digital display but we still have physical gauges. It will be interesting to see when car makers scrap mechanical gauges for an in dash monitor that you can configure and move/enable the gauges you want and not have to worry about stepper motors going out etc.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by caseyk08 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:57 am

I used to use an ELM327 bluetooth with a jailbroke iphone. It ended up being a pain to get up and running, but I wasn't aware of the ELM327 w/ wifi at the time of purchase.
Now I'm waiting until I get an upgrade from my provider to switch over to an android phone!

As far as I know, transmission temp should be available - it might depend on what software you are using on the iPad. Might want to look at other programs and what they support. I searched quick on google and didn't find much support for OBD fusion. There is a thread on here about getting trans temp to work on Torque, though. Directs you to here:
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumac ... c&t=346.00
Not sure if this is of any help to you.

As far as digital gauges - my girlfriends Prius has no mechanical gauges. The speedometer is available on dash, but everything else is run through the dash computer. I find it a little hard. At least with our gauges you can get a feeling of what is up with your vehicle at a glance. Though even if the Prius had a similar gauge cluster, I'd still probably have no idea what was up!
caseyk08
Cruiser

Name: Casey
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Moots1288 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 pm

navigator wrote:can you not find a code for the tranny temp or you just haven't gotten to it yet?
To me that would be the main reason for wanting to do something like that.
It is a sweet looking display.

I just thought of something, it is funny how all the info is there for our gauges to use a digital display but we still have physical gauges. It will be interesting to see when car makers scrap mechanical gauges for an in dash monitor that you can configure and move/enable the gauges you want and not have to worry about stepper motors going out etc.

I agree I pretty much only have the scan gauge to monitor my transmission temperatures
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm

navigator wrote:I just thought of something, it is funny how all the info is there for our gauges to use a digital display but we still have physical gauges. It will be interesting to see when car makers scrap mechanical gauges for an in dash monitor that you can configure and move/enable the gauges you want and not have to worry about stepper motors going out etc.

:hijack:

It's basically a reality already.
http://www.allpar.com/corporate/chrysle ... auges.html
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Digital gauges have tended to lag behind and have generally been not as reliable. They had all digital gauges in cars back in the 80's. The C4 Corvette was one such vehicle.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:37 pm

some of the non-mechanical analog gauges today lie anyway.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

Return to Electrical / Radios