Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

CB Antenna mounting thoughts

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Philberto » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 pm

So I am pretty sure that I'm getting a CB antenna and radio for Christmas/Birthday this year, and I'm thinking of how I should mount the antenna.

Roof rack plans rule out a central roof mount drilled in, and the antenna I've got on my wish list is a tunable tip 4' Firestik II. I have debated mounting it where James has his, but I've noticed that it seems to be less and less straight every time I see a new pic of it. I've also debated getting a universal door jamb mount and mounting it slightly higher than James's location on the reinforced sheet metal of the rear pillar. A hood mount is undesirable to me, due to the amount of brush that scrapes over the front of the hood when I go wheeling. That, plus low branches make me want to keep the antenna as close to the rear as possible, even though I know I'll have a more directional signal due to the position.

Also to consider are plans for mounting a CDMA cell antenna (powered), 2m/70cm dual-band antenna, and GPS receiver antenna. I know the GPS antennae are small, so I'm not worried about that one, but I'm worried about placing all the antennas at the back and possible interference between them. Any thoughts on this from the engineers?
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bobbyblaze » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Philberto wrote:So I am pretty sure that I'm getting a CB antenna and radio for Christmas/Birthday this year, and I'm thinking of how I should mount the antenna.

Roof rack plans rule out a central roof mount drilled in, and the antenna I've got on my wish list is a tunable tip 4' Firestik II. I have debated mounting it where James has his, but I've noticed that it seems to be less and less straight every time I see a new pic of it. I've also debated getting a universal door jamb mount and mounting it slightly higher than James's location on the reinforced sheet metal of the rear pillar. A hood mount is undesirable to me, due to the amount of brush that scrapes over the front of the hood when I go wheeling. That, plus low branches make me want to keep the antenna as close to the rear as possible, even though I know I'll have a more directional signal due to the position.

Also to consider are plans for mounting a CDMA cell antenna (powered), 2m/70cm dual-band antenna, and GPS receiver antenna. I know the GPS antennae are small, so I'm not worried about that one, but I'm worried about placing all the antennas at the back and possible interference between them. Any thoughts on this from the engineers?

I made a cb mount like JD's in steel. May be a little stronger than the aluminum. You can always make it a little thicker and bend it back if need be.
Attachments
cbmount2.jpg
(96.51 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
cbmount1.jpg
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by bgwolfpack » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm

The rear tail light location seems to be the best spot. The other local I'd was thinking was where the front fender top mounting bolts just under the hood hinges.

Found something you may need Philberto. http://www.offroadmagnetics.com/ :raspberry:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Gordinho80 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Mounted a flexible antenna to the sheet metal on pass. side, right in front of tail light...Haven't had any issues with it at all! ::Knock on wood::

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=161

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Philberto » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:39 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:The rear tail light location seems to be the best spot. The other local I'd was thinking was where the front fender top mounting bolts just under the hood hinges.

Found something you may need Philberto. http://www.offroadmagnetics.com/ :raspberry:

Joking aside, that actually looks pretty cool, though I was actually thinking of Herculiner/Line-X flames :poke: could be a functional and aesthetically pleasing mod.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Go ahead. Make a thread out of it, I dare you!

ROADIE!!!

I'm telling Dad on you! And you're going to get it! :hissyfit:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by bobbyblaze » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:09 pm

My antenna mount may just be the most cost effective of all coming in at less than a dollar for the steel. Throw in a few cents more for a coat or two of paint that I had at the house. I remove the assembly when im 'on-road'. 2 self tapper screws with metal/rubber :safe: washers for weather resistance.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:15 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:I made a cb mount like JD's in steel. May be a little stronger than the aluminum. You can always make it a little thicker and bend it back if need be.

Mine isn't aluminum, it's stainless steel.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bobbyblaze » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am

I stand corrected. I would have rather used stainless. Probably wouldn't have painted it either.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Philberto » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm

Well, now I've got the antenna, I need to figure out the mounting. If I can manage to get a bracket that will position the antenna approximately in the middle of the left taillight, I'll be golden, but I'm having difficulty finding a mount that will let me do so... Anybody who knows what that part of the car is like (anybody who's installed tail light guards) feel free to chime in here, and remember that I need to mount it to metal for grounding. The antenna also has to be in the middle of said taillight because it won't clear the liftgate otherwise, and James's mounting spot puts the antenna too high (he has a 3', I have a 4')

-edit: and the sidemount won't work, because the sidemount has a limit of 3' for the Firestik 2, probably due to the inherent weaknesses of the mount.
Philberto
Lifer

by Trail X » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Why are you worried about mounting an antenna too high? No matter the height, you'll still have to remove it when you go into the mall parking garage. :raspberry:

Edit: Ooops, didn't see you had already mounted it anyways... nevermind!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Haha no worries. And I've got some new non-mall pics lol.
Philberto
Lifer

Return to Electrical / Radios