Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Pending CB Install (Installed)

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Josh and I were at our local CB/truck stop to pick up a couple things and shoot the breeze. Asked the guy about the Bluetooth 29's and he also said there isn't much that can be done to them as far as peaking and increasing power.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Conner299 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I disagree... respectfully... check out the link I put up to cbradiomagazine. They also have three videos on YouTube on the 29 BT. Third video covers modding and they say the board is basically the same as a regular 29. The wattage can still be turned up, and I'm doing the dead key mod in case I want to add an amp in the future.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm

That's great for you. disproving the nay-sayers! :thumright:

Hopefully it all works out to be true.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by SaltWaterDrinker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 am

Conner299 wrote:I disagree... respectfully... check out the link I put up to cbradiomagazine. They also have three videos on YouTube on the 29 BT. Third video covers modding and they say the board is basically the same as a regular 29. The wattage can still be turned up, and I'm doing the dead key mod in case I want to add an amp in the future.

Fight the power! Fight the opposition! Blow your neighbours ear drums out! Fry the CB of the guy who's sitting next to you, and his wife's brain cells!
:shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Conner299 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Got the CB put in. Just wanted to get the pics up. Not much time as Im getting ready to leave work. I can answer any questions later.
Attachments
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 011.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 17445 times
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm

:cheers:
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
Conner299
Addict

by v7guy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 am

Looks real nice and it's different. I really dig it.
The angle the antenna sits at would bother the hell out of me.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Conner299 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 am

Yeah... the antenna angle is definitely goofy. I kinda like it though. I may try to go back to it at a later date and try to straighten it up. I would normally be anal about something like that, but surprisingly it doesn't bother me.
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 am

Well... Just a little update on the install. The Ol' Lady was definitely not pleased with the location of the CB mount. LOL. Said she would've rather had it somewhere below the dash. Go figure. Good thing I used the velcro command strips. Makes removal and putting it back in pretty easy. Says she wont even ride in the Blazer unless I take it down. Hmm... Maybe I have finally found found a way to keep her out of it. Second, there is a nice, low pitched whistle from the mount itself. Usually happens at speeds above 35 mph. With the radio going, it is barely noticeable, though. Other than that, everything works flawlessly. SWR's are really good. The needle doesn't move off of 1 on channel 20, and only gets up to about 1.2ish on channels 1 and 40. Still waiting on a part to do the "dead-key" mod, and turned the wattage up already via the VR4 adjustment pot inside the radio. I have even taken a couple phone calls with the bluetooth function and I love it. Overall, very pleased. Big thanks to my install team consisting of the brother-in-law, and a my buddy, Grady.
Conner299
Addict

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Conner299 wrote:Well... Just a little update on the install. The Ol' Lady was definitely not pleased with the location of the CB mount. LOL. Said she would've rather had it somewhere below the dash. Go figure. Good thing I used the velcro command strips. Makes removal and putting it back in pretty easy. Says she wont even ride in the Blazer unless I take it down. Hmm... Maybe I have finally found found a way to keep her out of it. Second, there is a nice, low pitched whistle from the mount itself. Usually happens at speeds above 35 mph. With the radio going, it is barely noticeable, though. Other than that, everything works flawlessly. SWR's are really good. The needle doesn't move off of 1 on channel 20, and only gets up to about 1.2ish on channels 1 and 40. Still waiting on a part to do the "dead-key" mod, and turned the wattage up already via the VR4 adjustment pot inside the radio. I have even taken a couple phone calls with the bluetooth function and I love it. Overall, very pleased. Big thanks to my install team consisting of the brother-in-law, and a my buddy, Grady.

Where is the whistle coming from? The radio or the antenna mount?
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Moots1288 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 am

dvanbramer88 wrote:
Conner299 wrote:Well... Just a little update on the install. The Ol' Lady was definitely not pleased with the location of the CB mount. LOL. Said she would've rather had it somewhere below the dash. Go figure. Good thing I used the velcro command strips. Makes removal and putting it back in pretty easy. Says she wont even ride in the Blazer unless I take it down. Hmm... Maybe I have finally found found a way to keep her out of it. Second, there is a nice, low pitched whistle from the mount itself. Usually happens at speeds above 35 mph. With the radio going, it is barely noticeable, though. Other than that, everything works flawlessly. SWR's are really good. The needle doesn't move off of 1 on channel 20, and only gets up to about 1.2ish on channels 1 and 40. Still waiting on a part to do the "dead-key" mod, and turned the wattage up already via the VR4 adjustment pot inside the radio. I have even taken a couple phone calls with the bluetooth function and I love it. Overall, very pleased. Big thanks to my install team consisting of the brother-in-law, and a my buddy, Grady.

Where is the whistle coming from? The radio or the antenna mount?

I think he says the mount itself.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Conner299 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:24 am

I'm 99% that it is coming from the mount. The plate already has a few degrees of up angle, and combine that with the wind funneling between the body and the antenna mount.
Conner299
Addict

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Conner299 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:Image

ROTFL...LMFAO... You just made my day...
Conner299
Addict

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Haha, you're welcome.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Conner299 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:02 am

Just wanted to throw out a little update/review of my CB set-up. Overall. the system is working really well. Two things aren't, though. First, the mount for the CB. I used 3M Command "velcro" strips to make it removable. Well, this made it removable, at times I didn't want. When I installed it, in the winter, they worked great. Once warm weather came along, small bumbs would make it start coming apart. At one time, while taking a turn, it started sliding across the dash. The sound of it coming apart, over bumbs, was annoying as well. I blame this on the strips warming up. When they were cold, they were stiff enough to hold to each other. Not so with summer temps. I have since removed these, and put in regular Command strips. When I removed the velcro, there was no damage to the dash, which is why I chose these to begin with. The regular Command strips have been holding great throughout the summer.

Second, I'm still having troubles with the mounting for the microphone. I have tried the velcro Command strips, and automotive double-sided tape. The velcro couldn't handle the weight, and the double-sided wants to keep coming clean off the dash, with the summer heat. Right now, the microphone resides in the driver side cupholder, and looks like it will for a while. Just for reference, I had it mounted next to the driver side center air vent.

Long story short: I recommend the regular command strips, when you need to keep something in place, and there is not too much load. I have five strips keeping my CB in place, and they are working well. I don't reccomend the velcro strips(black in color) for anything. I'm still brainstorming on how to keep my mic in place, without making holes.
Conner299
Addict

by TBYODA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Gorilla glue ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Trail X » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Just drill it. What's the big deal?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by RyansTBLS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:19 pm

:Iagree: Don't use tape on anything you don't want flying at your head. Either offroading, or accident, I personally drill and use a heavy duty adhesive, just to prevent vibrations from loosening the screws. :mechanic:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:30 am

JamesDowning wrote:Just drill it. What's the big deal?

His wife said no holes in the TB... :finger:

But yea, I mounted my vhf radio to the center console with dry wall screws right into the plastic. And both my microphone mounts are screwed in. The pod for my trans temp gauge required holes be drilled. Holes are a good thing :D
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical / Radios