Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Pending CB Install (Installed)

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Conner299 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Recently, I was able to acquire a CB very a reasonable price. $50 for a Cobra 29 LTD BT. Its a very gently used unit I got from the brother in law. Its a little bigger than what I wanted to go with, so a dash mount is going to be in my future. Instead of drilling holes, or zipping screws, Ive decided to give 3M command strips a shot. I figure four, trimmed down to the width of the mounting bracket should be enough. And of course, keep the tabs exposed if removal is required at a later date. A peak and tune is also in this unit's future as well.
I really like the above the taillight antenna mount, and that is the route I have chosen to go. I decided to see what i could do about building a better mouse trap though. *disclaimer: I do not mean to offend anyone's feelings or fab skills* Most of the above the taillight mounts seem a bit lacking. Both in function(solidity) and astetics. I wanted something that looks a little more robust and a bit more factory. I got out the cardboard and utility knife and started making templates. For the material, I decided to go with some 304 SS we had lying around the shop. I'm currently waiting on our plasma cutter to get fixed, so it can be cut.

Antenna is a Firestik II 3' tunable tip.

2 questions: Should I run string to get a more precise length, and have the antenna cable made locally? Or, should I just order an 18' length and wire it, coiling in figure 8's where there is excess?
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 16577 times
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 16577 times
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (46.92 KiB) Viewed 16577 times
Last edited by Conner299 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Moots1288 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 pm

That's a good unit. :)
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 pm

If you really want to tear your interior apart twice to get a precise length, than do it, But at the same time, I wouldn't worry about extra. There is a lot of dead space in the rear quarter panels for excess wire.

Also, Mount the antenna on the passenger side. You can reach through the hole for the "cargo cubby" and use real hardware with nuts and lock washers. On the driver side, It's a little harder to reach through, Can be done with two people but it is a PITA. And if you don't have help, you'll need to drill a big hole to access the tips of the screws to get nuts on the bottom. That being said, I do recommend you use nylocks or lock washers with nuts over self tapping machine screws. Self-tappers like to rip out and get loose with the weight of the CB antenna swinging. Also, see here for mounting of a Cobra 29

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2893#p63675
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Conner299 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Good tip on the mounting for the passenger side... Ill definitely keep that in mind. I have two ideas for attaching the antenna mount to the body. Either lock-nuts & bolts(no screws!), or drill two holes where the bolts would go and tack weld in those holes and around the top of the mount where it touches the body. Leaning towards the nuts and bolts at the moment. As for the antenna cable, I was going to just run my string along the inside, get a rough length, then add a foot or two. Constructive criticism, as always is welcome... Emphasis on constructive.

And I saw that mount for the Cobra before... Not digging it... Plus the Ol' Lady has to drive the truck at times, as well, and would NOT :evil: be happy with that.
Conner299
Addict

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Swing peak mod and amp the heck out of that thing.

But don't take my advice, I'm illegal.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003

by SaltWaterDrinker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 pm

Get a better mic too (astatic brand) as that one will break in a couple months (due to weather and wheeling).
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by Conner299 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 pm

I was thinking about getting a KL203 but decided against it. Don't really need it. If I was driving OTR, maybe. I'll just rock that mic till it dies. Plus I wanna be able to answer phone calls with it. Yeaaaahhh BUDDY!
Conner299
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am

I thought it was good to have a bit of extr cable and too short could actually hinder performance. I think I just used a 16 from under my drivers seat and have the excess under there.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Conner299 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 am

Well, pre-made length it is then... Went to the electronics store on Friday, to pick up the antenna mount, and power supply cable for the radio. While I was there, I asked about peaking and tuning my radio. They told me, that due to the bluetooth, it couldn't be done. I hate to second guess them, but does anyone know if this is true?
Conner299
Addict

by SaltWaterDrinker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Anything can be done, my friend. You just need to talk to a mom and pop CB shop. The bigger stores won't tell you one way or another.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by v7guy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 am

I used a pre made length, everything seemed to work out pretty alright.

As far as peak and tune I don't know of any info specifically, but money and small shops can make a lot of things happen that isn't commonly done.

If you amp it try to be courteous of the people with you, it can echo somethin fierce. lol
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Conner299 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 am

I still have to talk to the actual technician about the peak and tune. I talked to a warehouse worker at Copper's Electronics, here locally. Does anyone have or know someone with experience with a KL203 amp? I really don't want to blow anyone's speakers out. But, I just can't be happy leaving anything I own stock. I'm sure everyone here can sympathize.
Conner299
Addict

by SaltWaterDrinker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:54 am

v7guy wrote:I used a pre made length, everything seemed to work out pretty alright.

As far as peak and tune I don't know of any info specifically, but money and small shops can make a lot of things happen that isn't commonly done.

If you amp it try to be courteous of the people with you, it can echo somethin fierce. lol

It only echoed because I had echo on. It only killed you guys on Tecore because I had Dynamic up all the way...you're only supposed to turn that up if you need to get out over noise - I seemed to miss that memo xP
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by SaltWaterDrinker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04 am

Conner299 wrote:I still have to talk to the actual technician about the peak and tune. I talked to a warehouse worker at Copper's Electronics, here locally. Does anyone have or know someone with experience with a KL203 amp? I really don't want to blow anyone's speakers out. But, I just can't be happy leaving anything I own stock. I'm sure everyone here can sympathize.

I haven't heard much about those except that they are smaller for CB top mounting, and put out 100 watts at their peak. You have to do everything "right" with it in order to put out more than 30 watts...its kind of confusing and a PITA. My CB, without amp, runs about 30 watts/peaks 35. With the amp, however, its a different story.

I use a Silver Eagle 200 - older is better...and cheaper. She can peak at about 200, but I never push it that hard...I keep it on low (100-130). I have put it on high and talked into New Jersey from my driveway full quieting without issue, but I don't use high unless I need to - its not needed.

If you go with an older amp like the SE200, you need to deadkey the CB at 1 Watt (the shop can do that); but once that is done they work well together.
The amp itself(SE 200) runs through two "pills," has a built in delay for SSB work, and has an "inbound" amplifier that takes the weaker signals and brings them out a little bit more. This came in handy during TECORE when we went past the camp site and we had to talk back to Mike and Kyle.

If you're seriously going to pursue this, let me know. Before you buy anything, consult a shop. Tell them about your plans, and if it is dooable. Get work done in advance of purchasing the amp (tune/deadkey). Price amps at the CB shop, but try and visit a ham fest (amateur radio flea market, basically). I bought my amp for...40 dollars, I think? They had others for cheaper, but I loved the specs of the SE200.

My shop sells similar older amps for 70 because they work.

Keep me posted. :)
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by Conner299 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:52 am

Well, I finally went out and bought the antenna mount, and a power cord for this install. Both pieces were bought at Copper's Electronics here in Louisville. My antenna finally showed up in the form of one of my Christmas presents. My brother and father-in-law thought it would be funny to wrap it up. Below are pics showing the cardboard mock-up with the antenna mount. The mount is bending down a bit due to the weight of the antenna mount.
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Well... Finally got the the taillight mount plate cut out. Did a little bit of rough work on the shaping. Going to take it home, over the weekend, and do some fine work with the Dremel. Thinking about either painting it black, or trying to do a machined finish of some sort on the top and bottom faces. Leaning towards paint, right now. Didnt really want to have the antenna mount that close to the back corner, but kinda had to with the body lines. It was either that, or have a nice rib catcher, about another inch out from the vehicle. Enjoy...
Attachments
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Conner299
Addict

by SaltWaterDrinker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 am

Nice. Be sure to ground it. Good look on it though.
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

by Conner299 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 am

SaltWaterDrinker wrote:Nice. Be sure to ground it. Good look on it though.

Thank You, sir. Its always nice to hear when someone likes your work. As for the actual install, I have a buddy who is a storm chaser here in KY, and is also a licensed HAM operator, and he is going to help with the overall fine tuning of the system. I also did some research on the "peak and tune" of my CB. Turns out, it can be done. And I have decided to do it myself. I have already ordered the parts from Radio Shack, and the overall work looks rather simple. Ill include a link for anyone else with a Cobra 29 LTD, with or without BT.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/March%202007 ... cation.htm

Well... Im off to change my belt and some pulley's. Debating on whether or not to put the front half of my lift in today. Wont have my 5500's till wednesday, at least. I wish I could just go pick them up from UPS. Theyre less than 20 miles away from me, and I cant do anything with them.
Conner299
Addict

by wink » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Nice work. :thumright: Definitely more thought than what I put into my setup.
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin

by djthumper » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 am

I probably would have used a different antenna mount to better protect the coax, but I definitely like the mounting plate. As Josh said make sure you have a good bond to the body to provide a good ground plane.
djthumper

Name: Larry

Next

Return to Electrical / Radios