Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Dash Camera Installed.

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 pm

I bought these 2 items:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007E4 ... 01_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DA ... 02_s00_i00

The mount itself is small and is perfect for your smaller point and shoots. I doubt it will support the weight of a DSLR.

I put the 3M pad on the dash and the suction cup on the mount sticks to it. I can also place the mount on the exterior of the vehicle for some "go-pro" style shots. The camera I used in the 2 videos below is the half broken camera that i damaged on TECORE. I already replaced it. If it gets messed up from exterior shots, So be it.

Messing with and finalizing the mount. I had trouble getting the suction cup to stick to the pad because the pad matched the curve of the dash. Took it for a spin around the parking lot before work. Never realized how much my dash bounces before. I'm sure the auto focus feature isn't working correctly on this camera since I broke it. skip to 2:08 for driving.

Driving home from work. Quality is ehh. The camera exaggerates the road noise from my truck.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:38 pm

All things considered, not bad. What is your planned use? Filming off-road trails? Or filming driving for use as potential court evidence? I ask because I know some people that do film almost every drive they take, just for that reason.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I might film a commute or two just for fun. But mainly it will be used for off-road use and also driving in adverse weather conditions, or "storm-chasing." I went with the suction cup style mount so i could stick it anywhere on the exterior of the vehicle too. This system will provide flexibility. And C'mon, i spent less than $8.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Trail X » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Just be sure you test that suction cup on the exterior before really using it.

Those little flip lever suctions work alright, but can pop off unexpectedly when holding a load and vibrating. I'm just saying, don't risk an expensive camera if it's hanging off the truck.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 pm

yeah, my son had a go-pro that he and his friend were trying out, the friend mounted it on the side of his ricer and it came loose and beat it all up.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Just be sure you test that suction cup on the exterior before really using it.

Those little flip lever suctions work alright, but can pop off unexpectedly when holding a load and vibrating. I'm just saying, don't risk an expensive camera if it's hanging off the truck.

Absolutely.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by dvanbramer88 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Toying with new angles. I suction cupped the camera mount to the back glass. I need to figure out where the microphone of the camera keeps getting this clicking from. I don't here it in the cab. I think it might be something with the mount. Who knows.

Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by boog2006 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I think that's your best one yet as far as image quality. It'd be really nice if it was standard cab truck.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm

boog2006 wrote:I think that's your best one yet as far as image quality. It'd be really nice if it was standard cab truck.

I'm going to stick the suction cup to the passenger door window and see how that comes out too. Keep in mind i'm using a $100 kodak point and shoot. It's 14MP but the video will never be that great. I'm happy with the results I'm getting.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Return to Electrical / Radios